JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Ohio High School Shooting Leaves 1 Dead, 4 Wounded

bigted

One student has died and four students were injured after they were shot in the cafeteria at Chardon High School in northeastern Ohio on Monday morning by what law enforcement officials said was a lone gunman now in police custody.

The gunman fled the high school building but was captured by the police nearby, reported John Horton for The Plain Dealer in Cleveland. He said a teacher had witnessed the shooting and chased the gunman, who escaped the building before he was caught.

Video of the suspect’s arrest was captured by a Cleveland television station, WKYC, which is providing live coverage.

Parents descended on the school grounds after many were notified of the shooting via text messages from their children. The Plain Dealer reported that one parent, Jeannette Roth, said her son had told her the shooting took place in the cafeteria while the students were having breakfast. Ms. Roth said a boy suddenly “stood up and started shooting, and then it was chaos.”

Students in the cafeteria fled to classrooms that were locked for safety. The school remained on lock-down until around 8:30 a.m., when students began evacuating to a nearby elementary school. Family members were instructed to meet their children.

A local television reporter at the scene interviewed a grandfather who was picking up his grandson.

Local reports say some of the injured students were evacuated to hospitals in Cleveland. At a noon press conference, authorities said that one of the injured children had died. The extent of the injuries of the four other students is not known at this time.

The F.B.I. is now on the scene, assisting local law enforcement officials.

Prayers for victims of school shooting in Chardon. So sad.

— Jennifer Reece (@JAReece) February 27, 2012

A local Baptist church is organizing a community prayer vigil this evening, according to a Twitter post by The News-Herald.

Prayer vigil set for tonight at First Baptist Church of Painesville following shooting at Chardon High bit.ly/ABs345

— NH Crime and Fire (@NHCrimeandFire) February 27, 2012

Gov. John R. Kasich issued a statement Monday morning.

“Please join me in praying for the students who’ve been injured in this horrible crime,” he said. “Praise goes to the Chardon Police and Geauga County Sheriff’s office for quickly getting this situation under control. I’ve pledged Ohio’s full support to them, the school and the local community in this difficult time.”

LL Cool J's "Homicide" song comes to my mind when he says "I don't mean this in a disrespectful way/But Columbine happens in the ghetto everyday/when the s*** goes down y'all ain't got nothing to say", this is just another sad reality, the violence needs to stop:

• 2 weeks later...