JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

TEDDY RILEY - MJ SONGS UNDERWENT PROCESSING

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. At least Teddy Riley is being real about it. I like the album but it's hard to swallow at times for this very reason.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Jackson Producer: Controversial New Songs Underwent 'More Processing'

Michael Jackson Producer: Controversial Posthumous Songs Underwent 'More Processing'Just days before the first posthumous Michael Jackson album hits, controversy is still raging. A new UK Reuters interview with Teddy Riley, one of the "main producers" on 'Michael,' reveals that the vocal material culled for the album was far from finished.

"I had to do more processing to the voice, which is why people were asking about the authenticity," Riley says. "We had to do what we had to do to make ... his voice work with the actual music."

The album is set for release Dec. 14. Of the batch of recordings used for 'Michael,' Riley, who worked with Jackson before his death, says MJ would "never consider it being a final vocal."

"But because he's not with us he cannot give us new vocals. What we did was utilize the Melodyne (technology) to get him in key," Riley says. "With the Melodyne we actually move the stuff up, which is the reason why some of the vibrato sounds a little off or processed, over-processed. We truly apologize for that happening, but you are still hearing the true Michael Jackson."

Riley worked on three of the ten songs on 'Michael,' including 'Breaking News' and the 50 Cent-featuring 'Monster.'

Of the controversy and negative publicity, Riley targets the unhappy Jackson clan. "Some family members ... didn't totally get the last say so they kind of hate the project. So there you have it, a chain reaction, a domino effect that makes the credibility of 'Michael' go down."

Indeed, Jackson's brother Randy came out swinging on Twitter in mid-November, writing: "I became suspicious about the album, when I heard armed guards were involved since my brother's passing, may he rest in peace. John McClain [executor of MJ's estate along with John Branca] insisted that no family members were allowed at his studio where the project was being completed. My first thought was, what are they trying to hide?"

Riley insists no matter how the songs sound, they are Michael, and he will stand by the first album since the King of Pop's death. "I am here to protect that, because I know it's him, I know it's great material, I know that it needs to be out," Riley says. "I know that the legacy needs to continue because he's such a great person, and there's more to come."

The producer says he would "definitely" be a part of future Jackson albums if offered the opportunity. A reported $250 million deal between Sony and the executors of MJ's estate looks to put out 10 albums by 2017.

It aint a surprise to me, I always suspected it and everybody did too. The album is not great, I actually changed it for the roots album which Im starting to like a lot.

The album has been growing on me. But that's only because I'm now looking at each song individually and appreciating it for what it is. Some of the songs are great. Some of them are just to tweeked to have the true substance of what MJ would have wanted. It's certinaly better than most of the watered-down R-N-B dance pop that running radio at the moment.