JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS 2010

JumpinJack AJ

So, MTV's Video Music Awards for 2010 has come an gone. A network that not longer supports music or music videos (other than online) put the party on again. Share your opinions...here are mine.

PRE-SHOW: Nicki Minaj is pop-rap trash. Why is she popular. Her performance with Will.I.Am was just awful and she's not very good at lipsyncing. Will.I.Am's all black (including his face) outfit was crazy. He brought energy to the performance but I wasn't impressed since he's just performing today's pop music rather than Hip-Hop. I was surprised that Lady Gaga actually dressed like a lady and also actually looked kinda pretty and feminine. Katy Perry didn't disappoint with her funky get up. She can ditch the greasy, unfunny douche-bag fing...I mean Russell Brand finger nails tho.'

The set was amazing. Chelsea Handler is a funny person but as a host I only found her as okay. Saying shocking this for laughter is played out in my opinion. Her opening skit was kinda funny as was Lindsey Lohan's part in it. Eminem opening the show with Rihanna was pretty amazing. He was aggressive and one point with tons of energy. Many of us have welcomed him back to greatness and this performance was a manifestation and celbration of that. Rihanna's quirky but pretty appearance was refreshing. It reminded me that she is an amazing talent and that there's hope that her future music will reflect that since her current music doesn't. From the nominations in the Rock category I made me realize that I think today's rock music is also in an awful state. I've never been into rock by with groups like Lifehouse and Nickleback having new albums, I don't know why anyone would like the groups that were nominated. Kim Kardashian looked amazing (as always) and I thought her little opening to Justin Beiber's performance was very funny. I don't know anything about Justin Bieber but I thought his performance was good. You could see an influence from past groups that I liked in his performance. I think he was singing/lipsyncing over the track tho.' I was amazing to see him get thrown up in the air and his voice was unaffected...lol. While Usher's current music is a disgrace compared to his music up thru' 2006, his performance was dope. It was too Hollywood but the set and the dancing was amazing (and very MJ influenced). I made a note at this point asking why Lady Gaga kept winning awards. She must have been beating artist that I thought better deserved the awards. I thought cast members from GLEE were very awkward as they presented Lady Gaga an award. Rosario Dawson looked flawless during her bit introducing. Taylor Swift performed an awesome song. The set was amazing and other than some pitchy spots during the 2nd half of the song, her performance was amazing. There wasn't one dash of country in her song and that's the way I like it. The subject matter was putting Kanye West in his place without attacking him. The video clip of his idiotic behavior set the song up perfectly. Kanye was so nervous about her performance that he only agreed to perform if it was after Taylor's performance. Next up was Drake's performance. I've heard alot of his music and I think he's corny and awful. I didn't mind his performance tho.' Mostly because Mary J. Blige's feature in his song was stunning and flawless. She brought the house down. The subject matter of his song was good, tho' some of his "common commercial rapper" traits took away from how great the song could be lyrically. When the Hip Hop award came around I was so happy that Eminem won it. I don't know if my top choice won any awards that night until then. I just remember finally being happy with the choice. B.O.B.'s performance was short and choppy but good. He should have had more stage time because cutting his songs short like that limited him. I'm not into Paramore but as it flowed into their song, I thought they were good. Cher coming out in her see thru' outfit from '89 was awesome. She certainly knows how to take care of herself because there's alot of people who are younger than her who gross me out wearing that. Last up was Kanye West's performance. The good part was the beat. It was good. The rest wasn't. His outfit was ridiculous...a bright red suit and a black tank top. Did he think he had a guest spot on an 80's cop TV show? His lyrics didn't make sense to me. Was he condemning himself for being an idiot or was he celebrating his idiocy? I don't know. Vocally he is always awful. And didn't he say his new album wasn't gonna have any singing or vocal distortion? Cuz this song had plenty of it. And he jacked LL Cool J's "Mama Said Knock You Out" fire from the ceiling bit. Kanye is awful period. What a crappy way to end the show.

Overall the show was okay. I was surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did since today's current music is so bad. MTV needs to air music videos again so that the popular state of music can change faster to something better.