JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Hip-Hop Divided

Ataraxia

• Members

Just thought people would be interested in one of my articles from a couple of years ago, which has just been published on associated content. There's a brief mention of JJFP towards the end.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1932702/hiphop_divided.html?cat=33

If you like what you read, please click 'recommend' at the top of the article.

Cheers,

Andy.

Edited by Ataraxia

Eh, i don't like that the writer actually acknowledges Lil' Wayne and Soulja Boy as Hip-Hop in anyway shape or form. There will always be different sides of Hip-Hop and there will always be a difference of opinion. But pretty much anything labeled Hip-Hop or Rap these days that gets any success is not Hip-Hop at all. I've never heard any commercial rap artist like Lil' Wayne or Soulja Boy ever do anything tied 2 Hip-Hop culture. With out the culture being laced in the music, it's just Rap. There's nothing really impressive about the article in my opinion but thanx for sharing.

Eh, i don't like that the writer actually acknowledges Lil' Wayne and Soulja Boy as Hip-Hop in anyway shape or form. There will always be different sides of Hip-Hop and there will always be a difference of opinion. But pretty much anything labeled Hip-Hop or Rap these days that gets any success is not Hip-Hop at all. I've never heard any commercial rap artist like Lil' Wayne or Soulja Boy ever do anything tied 2 Hip-Hop culture. With out the culture being laced in the music, it's just Rap. There's nothing really impressive about the article in my opinion but thanx for sharing.

AJ this wasn't an article that Andy was sharing. It was an article that he had written himself!

I think the article was really good, even when he says those things about soudja or lil wayne, those are the artists people recognize now a days as the faces of hip hop. After reading these Ive come to think that hip hop maybe is not dead, maybe it has just evolved into these things we ve been seeing lately. And some may like this, some may not, but we cant escape the reality thats just in front of our eyes.. Hip hop has been evolving all the time, and some of us still keep locked down in history and do not recognize the change of pace, style and people's opinnion.

• Members

Eh, i don't like that the writer actually acknowledges Lil' Wayne and Soulja Boy as Hip-Hop in anyway shape or form. There will always be different sides of Hip-Hop and there will always be a difference of opinion.

It's not like I'm willingly declaring Lil Wayne and Soulja Boy as Hip-Hop -- believe me, I hate them as much as a majority of the 'true Hip-Hop' heads do. But the fact is that they're in the charts, getting props, because fans (mainly 14 year old white kids) believe that they are the true face of Hip-Hop at the minute. That goes in line with the point of the article: that there is no such inner conflict within the culture.

But pretty much anything labeled Hip-Hop or Rap these days that gets any success is not Hip-Hop at all.

And if you're considering that as true, then you're saying Will Smith isn't Hip-Hop.

Edited by Ataraxia

I am talking about this day in age. I mean, who is popular right now other than Lil' Wayne? Let's be honest. 2005, as crappy as it was, was in a better place than than 2009. The decline in the past 4 years has been about progressive as the last 8 or 10 years prior 2 that are. Who actually has a career in rap anymore? Look at all the fly by night talentless rappers of a couple years ago. Young Jock is nowhere in sight. Hurricaine Chris is gone (tho he just tried 2 drop a new single recently), Lil' Scrappy...anyone remember him. These carbon copy jokes are strickly one hit wonders.

I wasn't challenging the article as i agree with alot of it. I didn't realize Andy wrote it (i would have conveyed the same opinion but in a more constructive way...sorry). I am kinda sick of my own complaining on the topic...and talking about it. Which is why i feel that anything without lots of name dropping (which this article definitely did) and deeper detail is just what so many of us discussed over the years.

It's crazy 2 think that once was Hip-Hop music with different subgenres and vibes has now branched off in2 2 different music styles that the uneducated would consider the same kind of music.