JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

The Top 25 Worst Rappers of All-Time

Trey

Next to that, I dont think that you can judge an Mc on how he was back in the day, not if he's still releasing records. To stay a good Mc till today you have to grow, like Will did, like LL did and so on. If Hammer would be a newcomer these days, errbody would say he is bad, because he didnt get "better" in anyway (I heard his new stuff). And thats my whole point. These days he just isnt a good Rapper anymore.

I don't disagree that Hammer isn't good these days. I don't listen to anything new by him, so I don't really know, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's not that skilled any more. But "I dont think that you can judge an Mc on how he was back in the day, not if he's still releasing records" is just silly. By that logic I shouldn't listen to The Beatles because of Wings.

But Beatles' records still hold up as melodically complex and lyrically on point... and were often greater than what the Wings made...

An old skool artist can be at par with contemporaries...Big daddy Kane and Rakim could def hold their own against Nas and Jay-Z...The Message could lyrically hold up with almost any rap song released today...but Hammer and other novelty acts were never skilled enough to be compared to anyone making records worth remembering...his dance moves might have caused a revolution in video but I could care less...

My point exactly. And Schnazz, ofcourse somebody can enjoy old Hammer records even tho there is Rakim (or Nas for the new generation) and even tho he is wack today. But that does not make him better then them, or good for that mather.

You folks are making me very tired...

Next to that, I dont think that you can judge an Mc on how he was back in the day, not if he's still releasing records....

But "I dont think that you can judge an Mc on how he was back in the day, not if he's still releasing records" is just silly. By that logic I shouldn't listen to The Beatles because of Wings.

But Beatles' records still hold up as melodically complex and lyrically on point... and were often greater than what the Wings made...

My point in that quote was not about comparing old to new, my point was that "judge an Mc on how he was back in the day, not if he's still releasing records" is a ridiculous statement. Whether or not a musician is still working in no way alters the quality if his or her previous works.

Going back to the original quote:

50 could outrap him if he'd get back to his old days

In my opinion, that's flat wrong, rapping was one of Hammer's strengths. Actually performing his songs, making sounds with his mouth. His ability to rap was FAR better than 50 cents mumbling crap. His delivery was very good.

If you wanna use my quote, do it right please. I said 50's old days. I heard 50 Rap before he had halve of his tungue shot of, ofcourse without mumbling.

But anyway. These days, Hammer skills are under the average considering to allot of good Mc's today. Back in the day it wansnt that bad maybe, still there where allot of Mc's that had much more skillz and a much better delivery. Mc's who even today can be put above todays good Mc's. That means he cant be that goood of an Mc. Great shows, great clips, great dancing, smooth voice.. Whatever. But not that much of what you can consider skillz, and thats what makes or breaks a Rapper (If not would mean Puffy is a legendary MC). Its as easy as that.

Edited by Turntable

If you wanna use my quote, do it right please. I said 50's old days. I heard 50 Rap before he had halve of his tungue shot of, ofcourse without mumbling.

Even on his music from before he was shot, such as How To Rob and Ghetto Qu'ran , he mumbled.

In 88 and 90, there where not a lot of rappers who had a better flow than Hammer. Even today, his delivery on a lot of his tracks hold up.