JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

HIP-HOP = DISCO

I think about that ALOT. I remember thinking back in '93 and '94 that things started falling apart with all of rappers coming out basing their records off the simple fact that they could cuss a whole lot. Wow! Guns! Wow! Drugs! Wow! Sex! Just idiotic music. Then the late 90's were laced with more cussing but with slickly boring beats. But now we look at the face of commercial rap and not only are the beats awful (these newly produced trax make Puffy look like a musical god), the lyrics are stupider than ever, and the so-called talent have no talent. I think about how i thought we hit rock bottom back then. I used 2 say stuff like "they need 2 have 2 seperate section in music stores "Hip-Hop" and "Rap." I'd get so many people mad and go on to explain the difference between Hip-Hop and Rap. Now it's like there are 2 seperate genres and even deaf 90 year old grandmothers can tell u the difference between the 2.

I mean, if things can get worse, they can always get better. But can we really see labels coming 2 Jazzy, Rakim, Pete Rock, De La and saying "we want 2 make a great Hip-Hop record"...no, they just do whatever is hot. Lupe Fiasco is the 1st and only sign in a long time that the next generation not only can make great music...but that they can actually have skillz and a brain.

haha I remember when i used to think the puffy stuff in 97/98 was bad..nothing compared to today

lol, yeah that.. Now puffy stuff with mase is a classic compared to some of this..