JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

NEW EDITION

I just saw the video on BET. Anyone else heard the song or saw the video? I like it alot, however, by this one single, it dosen't look as good as the stuff on 1996's "Home Again"...not 2 mention no Bobby Brown. The video waz nice but had that late-90's flashy feel which is kinda played out. I'm scared Bad Boy may have altetered their image and sound...let's hope not.

New Edition!

It's rare for members of an established band to become more successful after leaving the group, but the six members of New Edition divided and conquered the charts at the start of the '90s--as solo acts Bobby Brown, Johnny Gill and Ralph Tresvant and the hip-hop/R&B trio Bell Biv DeVoe. However, that unusual feat overshadowed the parent group's deceptively strong career, which saw New Edition successfully adapt to fickle R&B trends.

The group began as a lip-synching quintet of Boston schoolboys who caught the eye of producer/svengali Maurice Starr. Starr modeled the group--which included Brown, Tresvant, Ricky Bell, Michael Bivins and Ronnie DeVoe--after the Jackson Five, providing them with the irresistibly catchy 1983 hit "Candy Girl." Starr also wrote, produced and played on much of the group's debut, Candy Girl, but New Edition soon broke acrimoniously with their mentor and signed to MCA Records. A similar Jackson Five-like sound marked the group's breakthrough 1984 hit, "Cool It Now," and its second album, titled New Edition, went top 10. But 1985's All For Love was less successful, and a 1986 album of '50s and '60s covers, Under The Blue Moon, further eroded the group's momentum. Brown went solo, but New Edition recruited established singer Gill and producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, returning with the more mature, new jack swing-fueled "If It Isn't Love" and the top 20 album Heart Break in 1988.

The group then split amicably in 1989 and its various offshoots ruled the charts in 1990 and 1991. But the waning commercial fortunes of its members led New Edition to reunite for a 1996 tour and album, which garnered lukewarm reviews. Although the Midas touch appears to have deserted the group and its members, New Edition's collective track record makes it impossible to rule out a return to the top of the charts.

Man you learn something new everyday. New Edition still going even after a break is pretty impressive, and i didn't even realise Bobby Brown was in them.

Gotta keep with it Kev

New Edition is just amazing 2 me. I love them guys. I almost saw them the summer of 1997 but it never happened. I enjoyed all their stuff when they took off in seperate directions (simply cuz they were grown) but i knew their old stuff 2. Classic kiddie 80's R-N-B. Since i had really gotten 2 know all of them better with their solo album and BBD's projects, their 1996 reunion waz a huge event for me. I think i listened 2 that album on a regular basis 4 an entire year. The album did well, it waz the tour that got lukewarm reiviews. There waz all kinds of tension that Bobby Brown basically put on the group...and Keith Sweat didn't like opening 4 them cuz it made him feel like an opening act instead of a co-headliner. Not 2 mention the usual tabloid trash Bobby brings and Ronnie DeVoe being accused of being loud and drunk at a hotel on tour...ha ha...which he did radio interviews quickly 2 clear things up. It seems like that had the MJ thing going on where people don't look much at the music and they look at everything else. The tour itself sounded good from what i heard from people who saw it. Some people knocked NE for their simple dance moves that were similar 2 the stuff the Temptations did...but that waz their style since they were young.

I'll be the 1st one thru' the door 2 get their new album but their 1st single makes me worried that their album will be average and not on the level of Home Again. The song is good, it's just kinda lightweight...especially compared 2 "Hit Me Off."

Oh yeah, some of u will remember when Bell Biv DeVoe waz on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air shooting the video for their song "Gangsta."

Brand spankin' new!! Bobby Brown isn't particpating in this new album tho.' I don't know why, his career is pretty dead and this would breathe new life in2 it. Since the last NE reunion, his solo album flopped, Whitney's album flopped (which he had a cameo on and produced the 1st single which generated no success), and he waz last heard on that easily 4gettable Ja-Rule track.

No, this is New Edition...Ronnie, Ricky, Mike, Ralph, and Johnny. BBD dropped an album in late 2001 but nobody got it. It's actually very good and they planned on releasing another shortly after. However, since it didn't make much noize, they never really got started on it. NE waz supposed 2 drop this new album in 2002 but with Bobby not working with them and legal issues, they never got it fully put 2gether. They also wanted 2 put out a movie and tour 2 go with it marking their 20 years in the game. 2 hold us NE fan over, they put out a "Hits" album last year mixing their old stuff with the 3 big hits off Home Again. It waz kinda strange having all that old stuff right next 2 their stuff from 1996...and they left off a few big old skool hits.