JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

213 "THE HARD WAY"

A lot of the mcs today who claim to be gangsta rappers like Ja Rule and Fabolous do are fake rappers, they just try and bite off of 2Pac and Biggie stereotypes, they weren't gangsta rappers like the media tagged them to be, they were telling stories about growing up in the streets but once they got famous they cleaned up their lives and weren't in gangs anymore. Why would someone be in a gang if they're making millions of dollars? :nhawong: Before Nas got a record deal he used to sell drugs, but does he sell drugs now, I don't think so, he's a millionaire now! Personally I don't consider myself to be a gangsta rapper 'cause I'm not in a gang and I don't sell drugs, I personally consider myself a hardcore rapper 'cause I bring the reality of my life in my songs. I find it ignorant that a lot of these teeny boppers that live in the suburbs who drive around in a brand new cars that their mom and dad bought them turn around and say that they're gangsta, they dont even know what it's like to be poor let alone being a gangsta, just 'cause they listen 2Pac they think they know but they don't know! :werd: Anyway back to 213, I read a review about "The Hard Way" in the Sept. 2004 issue of Vibe and it went somethin' like this:
"On their long overdue album, The Hard Way, 213-Snoop Dogg, Nate Dogg, and Warren G-nostalgically offers its signature G-funk sound. But delinquent timing and a lack of relevant material won't recapture an audience that has since moved on. On "Joystick", Long Beach's finest rekindle the flame of past glory amid smooth piano accompaniment glazed under the sampled Mtume classic "Juicy Fruit". The Kanye West-produced "Another Summertime" featuring the always enjoyable LaToiya Williams, spreads deep soul vibrations throughout the 'hood. And Nate's melodic crooning on the infectious lead single, "Groupie Luv", serves as the perfect backdrop for Snoop's and Warren's pimp personae. But though their overdone macking is readily accepted, 213 is less convincing these days when selling the gangsta image. Tracks like "Run on Up" and "213 Is da Gangsta Click" fail to stir despite Nate's catchy choruses. 213's obsolete subject matter offsets otherwise satisfying sounds, thus leaving these stars to learn a valuable lesson the hard way: Time waits for no man."(Rondall Conway, Vibe Magazine)

I like the album. There is 2 or 3 trax that are lacking....but other than that, the trax are no less than good. There chemistry is amazing...however, i think Snoop Dogg gets unbalanced attention on a few songs. However, Snoop waz right when he said that the album brings a sound that is untouched these days. I kinda liked the idea that it took them about 10 years since they all found success. Now that they are grown and Gangsta rap is dead, i have a feeling the subject matter now is much better than it would have been in the early/mid 90's.