JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Kevin Smith: A JJFP fan

Hero1

• Admin
the New Jersey native is a huge lover of vintage rap music, specifically the era that spanned the late '80s Old School into the mid '90s New School. He's made reference to everyone from Run DMC to DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince in his films. Hell, Jersey Girl basically culminates Smith's lifelong love of rap with a cameo from none other than Will Smith himself. "It was cool on a couple different levels," Smith gleefully admits when asked about working with Smith. "Being like an Old School rap fan in high school who did listen to a lot of DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, it was cool on that level. It was cool on the level of like 'F@#k it, it's Will Smith!' you know, who's like a massive movie star, but also just one of the sweetest dudes on the planet, a really nice guy. And it was cool on the level of being a kind of cool, surprise cameo that not a lot of people know about. So having that moment where he sits down next to Ben is a real kind of like an 'Ahhhh!' moment for the audience. So it worked on a couple different levels for me. It was kind of sweet. But it was also kind of cool to give Old School rap a little shout out 'cause now rap is like, you know, 50 Cent and Eminem and all that stuff. Back when I got into it, it wasn't. It was all about throwin' your hands in the air and wavin' 'em like I just don't care. Now it's about dudes who get shot multiple times, which is a type of rap that I can't really identify with that much."

Thanx 4 that!! That waz cool...i bet that guy listens 2 Before The Willennium every day.

However, if i might snap if i read another interview where somebody says "LEVEL" one more time!!

[quote=JumpinJack AJ,May 10 2004, 01:40 AM]However, if i might snap if i read another interview where somebody says "LEVEL" one more time!![/quote]
HAHA...I waz just about 2 say how repetitive he is!

Anyways, he sounds like he knows what he's talkin about. I didn't even know Kevin Smith liked Hip-Hop...good 2 know.