JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

F. GARY GRAY TO DIRECT 'STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON

'Straight Outta Compton': F. Gary Gray To Direct NWA Biopic

The Huffington Post | By Christopher Rosen Posted: 04/11/2012 8:27 am Updated: 04/11/2012 11:03 am

s-STRAIGHT-OUTTA-COMPTON-large.jpg
"Straight Outta Compton" has found a director. It was announced on Tuesday that F. Gary Gray had beaten out names like John Singleton ("Boyz N The Hood"), George Tillman Jr. ("Notorious") and Elgin James ("Little Birds") for the chance to direct the N.W.A. bio film being set up at New Line.
Like Tillman's "Notorious" -- a wildly underrated classic about Notorious B.I.G. and not the Alfred Hitchcock thriller -- "Straight Outta Compton" will likely have a "Behind the Music" feel; the rap group N.W.A. (which stands for N----- With Attitude) rose to fame in the late '80s, but suffered the usual array of musical meltdowns and internal conflict.
No word yet on casting, but expect the process to be interesting: N.W.A. counted current superstars Ice Cube and Dr. Dre among its members, as well as Eazy-E, the group founder who died of AIDS-related complications in 1995. Ice Cube is a producer on "Straight Outta Compton."
Gray could be the perfect man to direct this material. He made his feature directorial debut on the Ice Cube comedy "Friday," and also directed Cube's video for "It Was a Good Day."
Gray's involvement means that he won't direct "Captain America 2" for Marvel. He was in the running for that job along with Joe and Anthony Russo ("Community") and George Nolfi ("The Adjustment Bureau"). With that film scheduled for an April 4, 2014 release date, expect some announcement soon.

Since I was never a Biggie fan I never saw Notorious. I have a mild interest in seeing it and my brother has the DVD so I'll borrow it some time. I don't have a negative reaction to Ice Cube producing it and I think F. Gary Gray is the PERFECT directer. I was only kinda into N.W.A. but I'm excited for this project.

I've been thinking about this more; how having the artist involved can make the movie biased and I must say I don't completely agree. I mean, I agree it can be biased, but when I think back on movies and documentaries that have been done, the ones that have the artist involved are ALWAYS better and have a more balanced story. They even feel more accurate to me.

Have you ever seen that AWFUL Michael Jackson movie that VH1 did. On top of being one of the worst movies I've ever seen, I remember it only focusing on the negative. It was a movie about him dangling a baby over a balcony. It wasn't about the music, his internal struggles, his successes. But then I think of Tupac Resurrection and not only did it seem incredibly accurate to me, it let you get to know the man, whether you like him or his music or not. I also think of The Last Days of Left Eye which was produced by her family. It was very accurate and entertaining. In the long run, I think it's good that Ice Cube is involved. He was there. He knows the facts. He won't let inaccurate stuff works its way into the movie. Since he's been involved in Hollywood for years, he'll make sure it's entertaining.

Biographical films are always filled with problems. I think having someone like Ice Cube involved in the production is risky. The N.W.A. story is an ugly one. Unless Ice Cube is able to completely distance himself from criticism and achieve a state of total Zen, we need more to balance the situation.

I feel like a good Bio could be made, but thorough research must be done with no regard for who's your boss. They need to interview everyone they can in order to craft a fair and entertaining story.

Edited by Silver Tiger

• Admin

look at the tribe called quest documentary as an example of that! it was actually a great movie.. but q-tip decried because he was involved and only wanted the positive stuff shown instead of the reality