JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Smith promotes 'Legend' in Japan

Ale

Will Smith has been in Tokyo to promote his new sci-fi flick, I Am Legend.

Updated 14.36 Tue Dec 04 2007

japansk1.jpg

The Hollywood star arrived in the city by helicopter and admitted "it felt good".

"I heard no one had ever done that before," he said. "The Black Hawks (helicopters) are actually used in the film so I guess they were open to it. It was quite an experience to see Tokyo from the air like that."

Smith plays Robert Neville, a scientist who ends up living alone in New York with only his dog for company, after the whole city is wiped out by a terrible disease.

Immune to the virus, he spends the next three years looking for food and possible survivors - but they are all infected and are waiting for a chance to infect him too.

I Am Legend opens in the UK on December 21.

© Independent Television News Limited 2007. All rights reserved.

http://itn.co.uk/news/afad5aa292ed575500748faf97c76034.html

japan1tk0.jpg

japan2kl3.jpg

japan3uv1.jpg

japan4zt5.jpg

Edited by Ale

japantf4.png

Will Smith, center, director Francis Lawrence, left, and producer Akiva Goldsman promote their new movie "I Am Legend" in Tokyo on Tuesday. Smith, 39, had a busy day, visiting the U.S. base at Yokota in the morning, before being flown back to Roppongi in a Black Hawk helicopter. He will attend the Japan premiere of "I Am Legend" on Wednesday night before heading to South Korea.

Will Smith Is Hopefully Lost in Translation

Tue, 12/04/2007 - 12:53pm by Molly

premierevm0.png

Will Smith arrived in Tokyo for a press conference to promote I Am Legend today. He was looking pretty dapper in his suit, which I assume we'll be seeing a lot of as he premieres this one all around the world. While the movie is based on the premise of Will thinking he's the last man alive, his daughter Willow makes a cameo in the film. According to her dad, she's already a bit of a diva. He said, "You don't work with Willow. You work for Willow." He also said that while Jayden is the Johnny Depp of the family, Willow is more like, well, a different kind of personality. "Willow is Paris Hilton . . . Willow wants to be on TV." Let's just hope that her similarities to Paris end with the desire to be on television.

http://popsugar.com/856145

Edited by Ale

Will Smith Knows How to Laugh It Off

premieretokyowu7.png

Will Smith smiled big for the cameras on the red carpet at the I Am Legend premiere tonight in Tokyo. Even though he's taken on many serious roles since his Fresh Prince days, Will is still a jokester at heart and his comedic side came out at his press conference on Tuesday. Apparently one of the reporters in the audience fell asleep during the event, but rather than lose his temper Will asked to have his picture taken with the reporter, and even pretended to be asleep. No doubt the journalist was a little embarrassed, but at least Will didn't yell at him like a another star we know of.

http://popsugar.com/858540

Will Smith Needs a "Spoiler Alert" Before Talking

As prominent as his ears are, it looks like they're just for decoration, since Will Smith wasn't able to hear instructions not to spoil the ending of his movie by completely giving it away. In Tokyo at a press junket for his latest film, "I Am Legend," Will Smith got so carried away when talking about the film that he accidentally revealed the ending to the suspense thriller. It was during his enthused interaction with the press that co-screenwriter and co-producer Akiva Goldsman suddenly told Smith loudly, "Don't give away the ending!" and members of the press present were instructed to please keep the info under wraps for the sake of moviegoers. Oh Willie. There's a pretty funny picture of Will making a total "Oops, I messed up, huh?" face after the jump that you should check out.

tokyooc9.jpg

http://socialitelife.buzznet.com/2007/12/0...ore_talking.php

Edited by Ale

Smith wows fans at world premiere

story3d00801cedde5b6c3016e2ef57c56490.jp

Will Smith was greeted by hundreds of screaming fans as he hit the red carpet in Japan for the world premiere of his new film.

Smith stars in action thriller I Am Legend, the fourth big screen adaptation of Richard Matheson's sci-fi novel of the same name.

The Hitch star plays scientist Robert Neville who is the only person left alive when a virus wipes out the population of New York City.

The film comes highly recommended by its star: "It has wonderful action and really big scares. So you want to watch this movie with a big audience 'cause there's some terrifying parts in this movie and I think my performance is pretty good too."

So it's no secret that Will is a fan of his own work but it seems producers were not so impressed with the Hollywood star when he accidentally gave away the ending of the film during the opening in Tokyo.

I Am Legend is slated to hit cinemas on December 26.

VIDEO

Will Smith Visits Air Force Base

willsmith.jpg

YOKOTA AIR BASE, Japan — Stacey Thibodeaux had a birthday she’ll never forget.

With her husband, Albert, away in Kyrgyzstan, the Yokota woman was among several spouses of deployed servicemembers invited on stage to meet Hollywood megastar Will Smith during his visit to the base.

“He signed my birthday card,” said Thibodeaux, of New Orleans, who turned 28 on Tuesday. “Baby, thank you for getting deployed … I got a kiss from Will Smith on my birthday. This is the best birthday I’ve ever had.”

Another smooch came on the fly — literally.

“My husband is deployed to Afghanistan. He told me I can’t leave here without a kiss,” one woman said during a random question-and-answer session.

Without hesitating, Smith leapt off the stage, raced toward the woman and kissed her on the cheek.

“I love you. You’re so amazing,” she replied.

The 39-year-old former “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” and Grammy Award-winning rapper-turned-blockbuster movie star showed off his unabashed enthusiasm, trademark humility and unassuming nature during an hourlong appearance at Yokota’s outdoor Sakura Shell.

After flying in on a Black Hawk helicopter from Hardy Barracks in Tokyo, Smith addressed fans and then headed into the audience to sign autographs and pose for photos with servicemembers, civilians and their families. He smiled, waved and blew kisses to the crowd, pausing for as many requests as he could cram in.

“It was hugely important for me to come out and let you know we are thinking about you,” Smith said. “A lot of you are away from home and away from your loved ones for a long time. I wanted to come show you some love.”

The two-time Oscar nominee is in Japan to plug the upcoming release of his long-awaited, post-apocalyptic sci-fi thriller “I Am Legend.” The world premiere was set for Wednesday at the Tokyo International Forum.

Staff Sgt. Christabell Hermsdorf, assigned to Yokota’s 374th Airlift Wing, arrived about 40 minutes late.

“I ran up here,” said Hermsdorf, 23, of San Bernardino, Calif. “I’m a big fan. I just wanted to try to catch a glimpse. I got to see him on the stage, but I missed him speaking, unfortunately.

“It’s real exciting. I get star-struck very easily. I’ll come out to see any A-lister. I love Hollywood and gossip.”

Airman Kenneth Bailey of the 374th Maintenance Group got an autograph and a handshake from Smith.

“I grew up watching the ‘Fresh Prince,’ so it was nice to get a picture taken with him,” said Bailey, 22, of Augusta, Ga. “On a scale of one to 10, it was a 10.”

Handed a microphone, a young girl asked Smith to name the best movie he’s appeared in.

“‘Pursuit of Happyness’ is probably one of the best films I’ve made,” he answered, drawing wide cheers. “The most fun was with Martin Lawrence in ‘Bad Boys.’

“We had a great time shooting in Miami. And Martin is an all-around total fool.”

Laura Vargas, 25, a military spouse from Chicago, said she was thrilled to see a big star on base.

“It’s wonderful they didn’t forget about us overseas,” she added. “It’s awesome Will Smith came to see us.”

In a brief interview with Stars and Stripes, one of the planet’s biggest movie stars said he frequently travels the world promoting his films but felt a need to visit the troops during his three-day Japan stop.

“It’s a tough time for a lot of American families with their loved ones being away,” Smith said. “I felt like it was my pleasure and duty to come out and say, ‘We’re thinking about you. Good work and good luck.’”

Added Col. Jeff Newell, the 374th Airlift Wing commander: “What a day for Yokota Air Base.”

Smith’s promotional visit for U.S. Forces Japan was sponsored by Stars and Stripes, in association with Access Television, Japan.

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,157620,00.html