JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Yankees P Cory Lidle among those dead from crash into NYC building

bigted

Report: Cory Lidle Was on Crashed Plane

By COLLEEN LONG

Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - A small plane with New York Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle aboard crashed into a 50-story condominium tower Wednesday on Manhattan's Upper East Side, killing two people and raining flaming debris on sidewalks, authorities said. There was no immediate confirmation Lidle was among the dead.

A law enforcement official in Washington, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Lidle was on the plane. And Federal Aviation Administration records showed the single-engine plane was registered to the athlete, who was a new pilot and had repeatedly assured reporters in recent days that flying was safe.

The crash came just days after the Yankees' humiliating elimination from the playoffs.

The official said he did not know whether Lidle was at the controls; two people were aboard, and Lidle's passport was found at the crash scene, the official said. The plane had issued a distress call before the crash, according to the official.

New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, in a news conference, stopped short of confirming that Lidle was on board, saying that until next of kin are notified, no names would be released.

I couldn't believe it when I heard about this. It is truly a sad event, my heart goes out to his family, R.I.P.