JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

iPod Users?

Da Brakes

This reminds me of a discussion we had late last year in which people said that portable video player technology and players in general are gratuitous, expensive and unreasonable... Seems like the people at Apple, Creative, Archos, and RCA knew better. Just look at all the hype the iPod by itself has created concerning portable music and video... And in just one year. I think I called this one... It's funny reading some of the arguments from back then.

lol, this thread wasnt even about portable video players. i could've told you a year ago that everyone would buy it simply because its new and some people have to have new technology. its also a fun idea, just not worth the money if you dont need it. i still feel the same way about it as last year in regards to me, cuz it would be a waste of my money.

Not directly, but it sort of is. Look how well the video iPod has done. You characterized video players as a "waste of my money," but I wasn't simply talking about the player itself... I was talking about the techology. The original iPods by themselves were expensive... The generation 1 and 2s could have been considered a "waste of my money." Now we have iPods that have similar prices to the original iPods and they now have video capabilities in addition to music, and games. If the developers are RCA, Apple, Microsoft, Archos, and Creative went around saying that these things are a "waste of money," portable video technology wouldn't have advanced as much as it has in just a year. Instead, they saw the possibilities and marketed to people who could find use for it. The argument that it's "not worth the money if you don't need it" isn't much of an argument. There are many many things that aren't worth the money if you don't need them or don't have a use for them. The key is marketing the technology in a way that will demonstrate its usefullness and to those who will find it useful.

Most successful technologies have gone through this phase where people can't see how it could possible be useful... televisions, personal computing, cell phones... If we were talking about the player by itself, that would be one thing, but we're really talking about the technology as a whole.