JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Ali Director's Cut

BigWillieFan01

Hi everyone.

I heared that in the USA there is a director's cut of Ali you can buy on DVD. Now I was wondering if someone has seen this director's cut, because I'm thinking of buying this dc. But I'm not so sure. Can someone tell me what's new there and if it's important to have this new edition?? Would be great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001XAOL...?v=glance&n=130

Michael Mann's Ali was released in 2001 to mixed reviews and box-office indifference, so it was perhaps inevitable that Mann would release a director's cut on DVD. A total of eight minutes have been restored (increasing the 157-minute theatrical release to 165 minutes), and while the differences seem subtle at first, they substantially enhance Mann's attempt to present Muhammud Ali as a symbolic hero standing firm in a tempest of history. Ali's resonant humanity is more evident here, as is the personal burden he bore while defying the U.S. draft and facing harsh criticism for his uncompromising pacifism, even from such African American luminaries as Jackie Robinson.

• Members

Hey!

I saw it..and I loved it. If you ask me, it's a major improvement over the theatrical release. Why? It's simple. ALI's main flaw was always the fact that it seemed a bit...shattered. Like a collage of events with certain bits and pieces missing. This version has all those. They're seemingly meaningless 2-3seconds-long shots but they make the movie flow a bit more smoothly and they create the sense of certain continuity that the cinema version lacks sometimes;)

Cheers

P.S. The same problem is with Mann's latest movie - Miami Vice so I am egarly awaiting the director's cut of THAT;)

Hey!

I saw it..and I loved it. If you ask me, it's a major improvement over the theatrical release. Why? It's simple. ALI's main flaw was always the fact that it seemed a bit...shattered. Like a collage of events with certain bits and pieces missing. This version has all those. They're seemingly meaningless 2-3seconds-long shots but they make the movie flow a bit more smoothly and they create the sense of certain continuity that the cinema version lacks sometimes;)

Cheers

P.S. The same problem is with Mann's latest movie - Miami Vice so I am egarly awaiting the director's cut of THAT;)

Thanks for the informations, Mr K. I think I will buy this Director's Cut now. It's true that the theatrical version doesn't flow very smooth. And Miami Vice will be the same like that? Damn, that kills the happiness to watch this movie in a cinema. I hope Mann will not make a Director's Cut of Heat (Al Pacino, Robert De Niro), which is, next to Ali, my favourite movie made by Michael Mann.