JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

DONELL JONES INTERVIEW

Off Topic With Donell Jones

By Ken Gibbs, Jr, AOL Black Voices

Despite major transitions in his career for the last several years, Jones has produced one of his finest albums yet with 'Journey of a Gemini.'

Even with an award-winning signature style and over a decade of popular R&B songs tucked tightly under his belt, Donell Jones has experienced some drama in his lengthy music career. The balancing act of producing albums while signing to a new record label every year may have slowed the process, but it certainly hasn’t put a stop to Jones’ desire to give fans another album to vibe with. “With these companies, moving from [label to label], it’s like I’m a stepchild. It’s kind of hard to get in there and make that team really yours,” says Jones of his experience in an interview with Black Voices.

Despite changing labels not once, but twice mid-production, his fourth release 'Journey of a Gemini' is arguably Jones’ most imaginative effort yet. A sampling of powerhouse production from industry heavies like Jermaine Dupri, combined with Jones' own talented songwriting and production prowess has garnered "one of them albums you can just put on and let it play," as Jones put it. "It’s no different from the stuff I’ve been doing in the past, I just think that musically it's better and vocally it's better," said the singer humbly.

Even with all the excitement of Jones' new release, BV decided to go Off Topic with the Chicago native.

BV: What would your rap name be?

DJ: "Twin." Cause I’m a Gemini. If I can’t be a singer then I have to just cut it off and come with the other guy that’s inside of me.

BV: In reference to the Duke rape case, when Jessie Jackson announced that he was going to give the alleged rape victim a full scholarship so she won’t have to strip dance her way through college – what was your reaction? Did Jessie do the right thing?

DJ: I think Jessie did the right thing. To be honest with you, the young lady was probably in a situation where, man, I think it’s a lot more than what they say it is. But why not give her money to go to college? If he got it like that, why not?

BV: The New York Times ran a story, not that long ago, that broke down how 50% of black American men are either in prison, unemployed or uneducated. What do you think is the best piece of advice that you could give to young black men right now?

DJ: I would say education. Make sure you’re well educated, and if you’re trying to get into this business that I’m in, I would say make sure you build a very strong team. Make sure it’s people that you really can trust, and people who generally have your back. It’s a rough business.

BV: You’ve been singing for a long time, and you’ve got a lot of albums under your belt. What was your second career choice? Your Plan B?

DJ: I never had a Plan B. It would be songwriting and producing. That would be my backup plan. I never really [saw myself] doing anything besides what I’m doing right now.

BV: What was it like growing up in church, having to be in church all day?

DJ: It was terrible! I was one of those kids that had to be at church at 7:00 in the morning. My father was a pastor. I was very rebellious. I didn’t really want to do anything at the church; I had to be there so long. I tried [singing in the choir] one time. They would teach us a song on Thursday, and sing another song on Sunday. I’d be up there just mouthing [the words], and don’t even know what I’m singing. So I just quit, I never really got into it.

BV: Are you familiar with the Gospel of Prosperity? How do you feel about preachers promoting wealth and riches in the church?

DJ: I think everybody has a different style and a different method of how they preach. I think you can get something out of a message like that but at the end of the day, for me, I learn from pastors who talk about the Bible itself and not about what you can gain pocket-wise. But I think it’s ok.

BV: How does your father feel about you singing secular music?

DJ: It was a dream of his. It’s never been a problem. He loves what I do. My mother, she was the kind of person that played a lot of different records. I would definitely say that my musical style came from her. Teddy Pendergrass, Alicia Myers, The Isley Brothers. I think my musical style basically came from my mom, and my [voice came from] my dad, he sings also.

BV: X-Box 360 or PS2?

DJ: 360!

BV: What are your three favorite video games?

DJ: 'Ghost Recon.' I can just play online all day with different people. The outcome of the game is always different. There’s just so many different ways to win, depending on whose team you’re on. Also 'NBA Live,' and (but it’s not on X-Box) 'Grand Theft Auto.'

BV: You want to share your Xbox Live Screenname?

DJ: SikoDino.

BV: What’s on your iPod right now?

DJ: I listen to a lot of wack rapper #1. I listen to myself. I have a Bible on there.

BV: You have a Bible on your iPod?

DJ: Yeah. I got it from a lady that I study with. I listen to it when I feel like something might be wrong, or I’m feeling a little crazy. To be honest with you [the narrator’s voice] is great, cause when you’re reading the Bible you have all these words that you can’t pronounce, and you really don’t get a lot out of just reading it. The narrator, he speaks in a powerful voice. It’s exciting to listen to. It has each verse, each chapter, and it’s all broken down – I look at the Bible and I listen to it at the same time.