JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Nervous energy fuels BET Awards host Damon Wayans

Da Brakes

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6062700883.html

By Franklin Paul

Reuters

Tuesday, June 27, 2006; 3:11 PM

NEW YORK (Reuters) - After more than a decade making hit movies and TV characters, actor Damon Wayans still gets chills around some superstars, an affliction he hopes to overcome this week when he stands arms length from one -- singer Prince.

"Certain people I get nervous around, in a good way, like a fan. Prince, Michael Jackson, Michael Jordan, these guys I'm so in awe of them and what they have accomplished, I just don't want them to look at me and say, "Why are you here?" Wayans told Reuters in an interview.

Nerves and all, Wayans on Monday night hosts the 2006 BET Awards, the sixth annual cultural gala from the cable network whose programming is geared toward African-American viewers.

The live broadcast will feature appearances from artists such as Prince, Chaka Khan, Mary J. Blige and Harry Belafonte.

The awards show come about a year after Wayans' sitcom "My Wife and Kids," which he wrote, produced and starred in, ended its run as a top-rated show on the ABC network.

Wayans, 45, insists he is not afraid to host the celebrity bash, but he has some reservations about going it alone after Hollywood power couple Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith last year emceed the event and delivered big ratings.

"Being a host -- I can do it, although it's not where my head is right now," he said. I'm trying to get back in the clubs and find my love of the (comedy) game. I'll go up there and keep a smile on my eye, do a little monologue upfront and keep it moving."

Wayans' trepidation is surprising considering the extent of his success. After all, he's a former member of NBC's "Saturday Night Live" cast, starred in films like "The Last Boy Scout" with Bruce Willis and is perhaps best known for such offbeat as Homey the Clown on the groundbreaking sketch comedy show "In Living Color."

Moreover, he's a key member of what is arguably Hollywood's hardest-working comedy family. Younger brothers Marlon and Shawn Wayans have found a niche making broad comedic films, such as "Little Man," which opens in July. The film, by the way, is directed by their older brother, Keenan Ivory Wayans.

Damon Wayans says his brothers, whose screen credits also include the "Scary Movie" franchise, are considering building a movie studio, of sorts, in northern California.

"Up in Oakland, it used to be a military base," he says of the proposed site for the facility, which might include an amusement park. "I'll believe it when I see it, when the doors open, but I know my brothers are very passionate about this studio. They are in the trenches trying to make it happen."

In the meantime, Damon Wayans is focusing on recapturing his edge as a stand-up comic, performing at local clubs almost nightly. This fall he debuts a sketch comedy show on Showtime called "Damon Wayans Presents the Underground," which he described as "In Living Color on steroids."

But first comes the live awards show in Hollywood, and the inevitable moment when Prince performs.

Wayans said his stand-up experience proves he knows how to handle an audience, and that his jitters may work to his benefit.

"I'm nervous all the time," he said. "But that is good -- it means I want to do well."

Reuters/VNU