JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Grimey

Guest Da Triptic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grime

Grime is a genre of urban music which has been developing in London's underground since 2002. Grime's tempo is typically around 140 beats per minute. Style of flow also varies but its most common for rappers to "spit" double time or aggressively over the beat. In contrast to its more soulful progenitor, Grime can often be dark and aggressive, featuring MCs as opposed to singers and jettisoning the R&B influences of earlier 2 step UK Garage. In contrast, the success of grime is inseparable from its connection with pirate radio, with many performers honing their skills and achieving underground success before approaching the mainstream. Grime has roots in both hip hop and electronic music and is characterised by rapid and rhythmic rhyming over sparse break beats, futuristic bleeps and guttural bass growls. Perhaps due to its experimental nature and diverse stylistic influences, grime resisted attempts to classify or pigeonhole it for a long time, but in the past has also gone by the names sublow, 8bar, nu shape or eskibeat. It is sometimes confused with the instrumental genre dubstep, another style to evolve out of the early 2000s UK garage scene.

Alot of people say I'm a grime artist but I don't think I am at all. I really dont like the term grime!

The only time I really thought your music had a grimey feel was on the Can We Try (Kontempt Remix), Brakes. Other than that, I do see it, unless people associate the accent you have with it.

Yeah! I dont see it myself! I think its just something for the UK to stamp as there own trademark. It'd be interesting to see if in 5 years people will still be talking about it!

Personally I only like about 40% of UK Grime out now, I don't see it being the best way for the UK to breakthru, but if artists like it they can do they own thing and I won't object, I'm all for UK gettin on the map, and yea I do agree that Da Brakes isn't grime music haha...