JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

LL Cool J vs. Canibus

Turntable

Hey now well Canibus didn't diss LL in the verse on "4,3,2,1" 'cause LL told him to change the verse, I mean there's nothin' wrong with that, LL was doing Canibus a favor by puttin' him on the song for him to get exposure and Canibus returns the favor by making a video dissin' LL? That's foul! :word: LL's verse on "4,3,2,1" was a diss to the rap industry not only Canibus, it was a warning to all rappers that you can't f*** with the Michael Jordan of rap and he has every right to say that, he's been out longer than most rappers today were born, I mean if he can't boast who can? LL's verse on that song should been enough warning for Canibus to squash the beef then since it's one of LL's greatest verses ever and one of the best rap verses of all time in my opinion but oh well if he ain't dissin' LL now it's all good, if people wanna say Canibus won the battle it's irrelevant since LL's winning the war 'cause LL's career is still relevant now, he used that criticism from Canibus as motivation to stay in the game, "The G.O.A.T." album solidified his street cred in the rap game, he thanks Canibus in the credits of "The G.O.A.T." album for inspiration. btw Canibus battled Eminem? It seems that all Da Brakes' favorite rappers diss each other! :rofl:

So your saying Ted that Canibus shouldn't have responded to LL's verse which WAS directed at him! Come on now! Canibus is a battle rapper! Thats like asking Mike Tyson not to box!

And by the way Ted! That whole verse was directed at Bis! Listen to it again! I think Canibus had a right to respond! Yeah LL gave him a break by putting him on the track....why do you think that was? Coz he recognised that he had talent? And then to turn around and make something out of nothing and diss him for no reason??? Thats below the belt!

Canibus and Em never really battled! There were lines and tracks thrown back at each other but it never really materialised into a proper battle! Both of these MC's in their hay day would have made for quite an interesting battle!!

That's what wrong with the rap game right now the legends ain't respected, LL respected Canibus enough to put him on his song but Canibus shouldn't get so gased to act like he's the greatest rapper ever now, LL is one of the first rappers to go platinum with battle tracks like "Rock The Bells" and "I Need A Beat" when Canibus was in elementary school, these tracks were the blueprint to the way rappers come up with punchlines, especially "Mama Said Knock You Out" and "Jack The Ripper", the list of his battlin' skill tracks goes on and on "Till Da Break Of Dawn", lol. Canibus is immature to get pissed that LL told him to change his verse of the song, he could've apologised to him right there and kept it movin' if he realised he was offending LL but instead he made a song dissin' LL, that's childish in my opinion, I could see if it was some other new rapper coming up like Ja Rule that criticised him but he shoulda let it slide since it was LL. Going after the most famous rapper in hip-hop history is below the belt when you're an unknown rapper, you just don't get signed to the Bulls and say that you deserve to get more shots than Jordan that just have more MVP trophies that you got games played. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that you should respect the elders of the game. These new rappers can't take criticism from the ol' school legends like men, look at Eminem too, he was immature to diss Will just 'cause Will told rappers not to curse so much on their songs when he really looked up to Will growing up.

EDIT: I just wanted to throw some of what LL said here on "4,3,2,1", he was referring to mcs in general here it's clear to see, a lot of mcs brag but really only a chosen few like LL could back what they say:

"Every little boy wanna pick up the mic

And try to run with the big boys and live up to the real hype

But that's like pickin up a ball, playin with Mike

Swingin at Ken Griffey or challengin Roy to a fight

Snappin, you ameteur MC's

Don't you know I'm like the Dream Team tourin overseas

For rappers in my circle I'm a deadly disease

Ringmaster, bringin a tiger cub to his knees (uhh)

In the history of rap they've never seen such prominence

Your naive confidence gets crushed by my dominance"

Edited by bigted

Canibus is immature to get pissed that LL told him to change his verse of the song, he could've apologised to him right there and kept it movin' if he realised he was offending LL but instead he made a song dissin' LL, that's childish in my opinion,

Your not getting this are you. Canibus didn't 'get p!ssed' coz L asked him to change his verse. That would be stupid. LL said he was going to change his verse as long as Bis changed his. Bis did but LL kept his anyway. Now that is below the belt and thats why Bis got p!ssed. And Bis did apologise to LL, thats what makes it more out of order on LL's part.

And again Ted Canibus is a BATTLE MC! Thats what he always was! LL publicly humilited him! Of course he is gonna respond! Its in his nature no matter who disses him. It has nothing to do with respect. I know if I was in the same position I would.

Da Brakes, LL didn't have to change his verse since Canibus changed his, he didn't specifically callin' out Canibus in the song when he said "Tearin' every mc in the game/to play yourself out of position and mention my name", maybe Canibus thought LL was referring to him since he is a battle rapper so I guess it was to be expected that he'd answer back I could see your point but nobody knew that LL was referring to Canibus until "2nd Round KO" came out and Canibus brought it to light, Canibus started the battle.

Edited by bigted

No no no no no no no!!!! Ted, they both agreed that they would change there verses. The only difference was one stuck to their word. lL even talked about doing a song together with Canibus! Then he turned around and completely played him.

You say that LL didn't specifically call out Bis, but neither did Bis! How on earth can you take what Bis said as an insult??

Your a fool for thinking that that verse was not directed at Bis! Come on now Ted, I like LL as much as the next person but you cannot deny that his verse wasn't directed at Bis:

"When young sons fantasize of borrowing flows

tell little shorty with the big mouth the bank is closed (yeah, word up)

The symbol on my arm is off limits to challengers

You hold the rusty swords I swing the Excalibur

How dare you step up in my dimension

Your little ass should be somewher cryin on detention

Watch your mouth better yet hold your tongue

I'ma do this **** for free this time this one's for fun

Blow you to pieces, leave you covered in feces

with one thesis ("LL Cool J is hard") Every little boy wanna pick up the mic

and try to run with the big boys and live up to the real hype

But that's like pickin up a ball, playin with Mike

Swingin at Ken Griffey or challengin Roy to a fight

Snappin, you ameteur MC's

Don't you know I'm like the Dream Team tourin overseas

For rappers in my circle I'm a deadly disease

Ringmaster, bringin a tiger cub to his knees (uhh)

In the history of rap they've never seen such prominence

Your naive confidence gets crushed by my dominance (word up)

Now let's get back to this mic on my arm

If it ever left my side it'd transform into a time bomb

You don't wanna borrow that, you wanna idolize

And you don't wanna make me mad nigga you wanna socalize

And I'm daring every MC in the game

to play yourself out position, and mention my name

I make a rhyme for every syllable in your name

Go platinum for every time your grimy ass was on the train

Watch your mouth don't ever step out of line

LL Cool J nigga, greatest of all time

Now every thing that I've put in bold was directed at canibus! Now tell me this verse wasn't aimed at him! Thats about 2/3 of the verse directed just at Bis! LL knew it, Canibus knew it and the world was soon to know it as Canibus was cut from the video! Surely people would start asking questions and wonder why! it would have come out eventually!

I really don't know how you think Bis started this battle because he clearly did not! He went along with changing a misinterpreted verse then was dogged out by LL who said he would change his but didn't.

Did LL say Canibus' name in the verse? When any rapper makes a battle verse you don't know if they're specifically talkin' about a rapper particular sometimes when they don't name anybody. You wouldn't know if Canibus didn't release "2nd Round Knockout" and called LL out that LL was dissin' him in the song and talked all that crap about the conversations in the interviews, LL wasn't talkin' about it, he was out promoting his album and workin' on a movie, he wasn't stressin' on Canibus then, he thought that the beef was over, he moved on from that, Canibus was the immature one that stressed on it. We all know now as a fact that LL did diss him but you wouldn't know if Canibus never released "2nd Round Knockout", he used LL's name just so he could get fame since people didn't know of him yet but LL had the last laugh 'cause LL's still famous now! :stickpoke: When LL battled Kool Moe Dee, MC Hammer, and Ice-T they were all known mcs already so they had the right to diss LL if they wanted and it'd be more competitive since they were on the same level then too, this wasn't an amateur mc battle that he was in this is the top mc of the hip-hop industry that he was facing; the guy who brought hip-hop from underground to the mainstream, and Canibus was an unknown up-and-coming mc so he should've tried establishing himself 1st before dissin' LL, wouldn't you say that I'm just trying to get fame if I dissed LL on my 1st single coming out if I just got signed? I honestly wouldn't let that phase me since LL's the greatest, I would just work on my album and that's it as long as he didn't personally say, "I'm challengin' amateur mcs like Big Ted", then I'd retailiate. It's below the belt just like when 50 Cent disses everybody more famous than him, that's below the belt to do that. If you assumed back then that LL dissed Canibus in that song you could also assume that FP dissed Eminem in "Freakin' It" by sayin' "Mr. Clean but the fact remains/ I got girls that don't speak english screamin' my name/ For all y'all rappers that talk about who you're gonna put in a Hearse/do me a favor write one verse without a curse" plus what he said on the MTV awards and maybe that actually lead for Eminem sayin' "Will Smith says he don't have to curse to sell records/well I do so f*** him and f*** you too", right? I thought that was below the belt too, Will didn't specifically say Eminem's name in the song or when he was talking at the MTV awards so Em should've said, "Some rappers say they don't have to curse to sell records/well I do so f*** them and f*** you too", that way it'd show Em dissin' a whole group of rappers and not just Will.

EDIT: AJ if you got that "Rasta Imposter" track you could send it to Tim and he could play it on the JJFP radio, I'm broke right now but when I get money up I'm gonna pm you to send that track to me if that's aight with you homie, I need to get a copy of "Ripper Strikes Back" too since I didn't buy DMX's 1st album right away, lol, I was only able to download it, I actually taped it from the radio when it came out but I misplaced the tape, lol.

I just found an article where Canibus says that Em ghostwrote battle rhymes for LL when they were battlin', that's the most rediculous thing I've ever heard, Canibus is way out of line, "No reason for ghostwriters/Every year I get tighter":

http://md74850.tripod.com/hiphop/id1.html

Edited by bigted

LL dissed MC Hammer and Ice-T on "Till Da Break Of Dawn"-"you call yourself hammer but you couldn't break a glass", MC Hammer dissed LL and Run-Dmc on "Let's Get It Started", and I don't remember what tracks Ice-T dissed LL on since I don't really listen to him that much but it was all part of the east-west coast beef in the early 90s in commercial rap, Ice Cube dissed KRS-ONE too I believe, it wasn't nothin' personal though they were all just battlin' on wax. btw, if you read what I said Da Brakes I said I know now that LL dissed Canibus on "4,3,2,1" but I didn't know that he dissed Canibus on there until Canibus released "2nd Round KO", I thought it was just a hot hip-hop verse when I heard it on the radio when it came out, would you know that LL dissed Canibus on "4,3,2,1" if Canibus didn't say anything about it? I don't know why you're stressin' on it either man, no matter what you say I'm still gonna say that I think Canibus was one that started the beef, it was over before it began, LL would've probably changed the verse if he put Canibus' name in it but he didn't have to since nobody in the public knew he dissed Canibus on there, Canibus shouldn't have started the battle in the 1st place, he can't hold a mic for LL and that's how I feel, I wouldn't be stupid enough to battle LL either now 'cause I ain't on that level. btw, I heard Wyclef made a song later on dissin' Canibus when he stopped being his manager, I never heard it though, does anyone have the audio for that?

Edited by bigted