JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

New Chuck D Interview

bigted

Chuck D: Public Detonator 09/23/05 09:45

Source: www.easternecho.com

Hip Hop legend sets precendents on oppression of black Americans

By Michael Greenlee / Features Editor

Chuck D will speak at Pease Auditorium on Sept. 26 at 8:00 p.m. Student tickets are $5-10.

If Chuck D needs an introduction, then the legacy of hip-hop has gone to hell like a Sierra Leone diamond mine. He is a legendary rap artist and cofounder of arguably the greatest hip-hop act of all time, Public Enemy. Public Enemy set precedents with its scathing challenge to white American society at a time when stubborn conservatism pushed black expression, and indeed black livelihood, to dire territory. During the late '80s and early '90s, albums such as "It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back" (1988), and "Fear Of A Black Planet" (1990) gave black American youth not simply a voice, but a manifesto.

Despite the friction his intensity can spark, Chuck D has remained cool in a most enduring way. He has pursued a multifaceted career, which includes work as musician, author, lecturer and political pundit. The ever-diligent Mr. D recently spoke (while in transit) to the Echo about his visit to Eastern. He offered a glimpse of the intellectual flavor of his commentary on race, the force of rage and the inequities of the music industry.

Echo: How's it going, Chuck D?

Chuck D: Picking up a person from the airport, checking DVDs and going over liner notes. How about that?

Echo: Nice of you. First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to talk. That's huge.

Chuck D: Well thank you and thank you for giving me this interview at this hectic, crazy time. But then, I wouldn't have it no other way.

Echo: Where exactly are you right this very minute?

Chuck D: LaGuardia Airport picking somebody up. One of my artists. I have a label called SlamJamz and so we would call ourselves a single A label, almost like minor league baseball teams. We're a single A label, you know? We have performers that can perform, singers that can sing, and rappers that can rap -- simple as that. You know, we develop.

Echo: We're very honored to have you visit Eastern Michigan and speak. Would you like to mention briefly what the discussion will focus on?

Chuck D: Rap, race, reality and technology. Those are the four standpoints where I've been actually on a lecture circuit for, like, this is my 16th year. So, 16 years that's been pretty much my topic.

Echo: You have worked in the past with Moby on a song entitled MKLVFKWR.

Chuck D: And I worked with him last year, you know, as we made this track for the theme of the Olympics and now its also going to be on the upcoming Public Enemy album called, "New Whirl Odor", another word for a ball of confusion, right?

Echo: Right. And certainly that's where we've been recently. And with Public Enemy you've been very political. In your opinion, has today's rap music has been too shy to attack from a political standpoint?

Chuck D: Yeah. Uh, a cop is telling me to move my truck. [indiscernible voice] I'm moving.

Echo: Oh.

Chuck D: I don't think it's too shy. I think a lot of times when it comes down to rap music today I think record company contracts influence artists to adhere to their contracts by the sales of their records as opposed to the extent of their artistry. A lot of them are kinda fearful of taking chances because if it cuts into their state of being or their way of life then they feel that it's all for naught, you know what I'm saying?

Echo: Yes.

Chuck D: So I don't think they're shy. I think they're scared.

Echo: Certainly Public Enemy has done a lot in freeing the minds of young black men, and indeed people of every race and gender. But there is a problem similar to that of punk music. Where does intellectual rebellion end and untamed male aggression begin? Wouldn't you say that rap music has been partly responsible for letting the male ego run wild?

Chuck D: Well in rap music if there's a male ego situation to point at it could actually be answered by the fact that for hundreds of years in this country the [black] male voices were automatically suppressed by society. So in a weird type of way the male voice, as well as the black female voice, is almost yearning to actually come out and say what needs to be said - good or bad - just like the feminist movement. These are voices and minds that have been suppressed. So if it comes out as being egotistic it's only because of the explosion of necessity. Those fragments and that shrapnel that comes out might not always be politically correct but something that needs to be said.

Echo: Right.

Chuck D: The danger is when a corporate structure gets behind that explosion of necessity and kinda streamlines or strips it down to the lowest common denominator in order for the business to be kept vibrant.

Echo: And speaking of stifling creative explosions, Public Enemy recently performed unannounced at a benefit to keep CBGB's from closing. What's the word on that? Will the venue remain open?

Chuck D: Well I don't know, I think the situation is trouble because the landlord has definitely not changed his mind. I think CBGB's is an institution that has long allowed artists to actually say something and do something with their music.

Echo: You've never been afraid in your music to be honest. In fact, the beauty of hip-hop itself is how blunt it can be. Now, honestly, is Flavor Flav an alien?

Chuck D: An alien? Yeah, he's from another world entirely.

Echo: You've been involved with so many other artists throughout your career (Moby, Spike Lee, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Sonic Youth). Is there anyone left that you are really aching to work with?

Chuck D: Yeah. Bobby Blue Bland.

Echo: Bobby Blue Bland?

Chuck D: Google him.

Echo: All right, one last thing about the work you have done recently. "Power To The People And The Beats: Public Enemy's Greatest Hits" is out already and a brand new record will be released in October. Is that right?

Chuck D: Right. You can go to PublicEnemy.com. You'll find everything on that page that you need to finnd.

Echo: Well, thanks for your time Mr. D.

Chuck D: No, I thank you twice as much all right. So I'll see you then?

Echo: Definitely.

Chuck D: All right then. By that time you'll know who Bobby Blue Bland is.