JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Rafael Palmeiro Suspended

bigted

Palmeiro Suspended for Steroids Violation

By DAVID GINSBURG

AP Sports Writer

BALTIMORE - When Rafael Palmeiro became the fourth player in major league history to collect 3,000 hits and 500 home runs, his status as a future member of the Hall of Fame seemed somewhat secure. That topic is again open for discussion, along with a new one: Palmeiro's credibility.

Five months after telling Congress he never used steroids, Palmeiro on Monday received a 10-day suspension from Major League Baseball after testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug.

The players' association challenged the positive test in secret proceedings, and the penalty was held in abeyance until arbitrator Shyam Das decided Monday not to overturn it.

No longer able to deny using steroids, Palmeiro insisted he ingested a banned substance by accident.

"When I testified in front of Congress, I know that I was testifying under oath and I told the truth," the Baltimore Orioles' first baseman said during a telephone conference call. "Today I am telling the truth again that I did not do this intentionally or knowingly."

Palmeiro's peers could only hope he was being honest.

"I don't know what he's been taking, but personally I don't think he's taken anything illegally," Chicago White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle said. "I don't think he's ever taken steroids or anything illegally to help himself to play."

That opinion was shared by White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.

"It's a shame," Guillen said. "If he did it, and a mistake was made, I don't have anything bad to say about Raffy. Raffy's a great player."

Certainly, the numbers Palmeiro has put up are a testament to his greatness. On July 15, he joined Hank Aaron, Willie Mays and Eddie Murray as the only players with 3,000 hits and 500 homers.

Baseball would not say when the positive test occurred, but there's a chance that he joined that exclusive fraternity while steroids were in his system. If nothing else, those who decide his entrance into the Hall of Fame might wonder if his lofty numbers were the product of talent - or steroids.

"I hope that people look at my whole career and appreciate that I've given everything that I've got," Palmeiro said. "I respect the Hall of Fame, and if they think that I'm worthy enough, I would be very honored. And if they don't, I gave it all that I had to this game."

Palmeiro, 40, was adamant in his assertion that he accidentally ingested the drug, particularly because on March 17 he declared before a congressional committee, "I have never used steroids. Period."

Without being specific, the four-time All-Star left the impression that the banned substance was contained in a supplement that was not prescribed.

"Why would I do this in a year when I went in front of Congress and I testified and I told the truth?" he said. "Why would I do this during a season where I was going to get to 3,000 hits? It just makes no sense. ... I'm not a crazy person."

Christopher Shays of Connecticut, the No. 2 Republican on the committee that investigated steroids in baseball, said in a telephone interview: "He ended up being the most outspoken against steroid use, and even this guy is in a situation where he's been suspended. It just blows me away. Obviously, it calls into question every accomplishment he's had."

Palmeiro also expressed indignation over accusations made by former slugger Jose Canseco, who cited Palmeiro as a steroid user in his book. In an interview on the CBS television show "60 Minutes," Canseco - who also testified before Congress - said he had injected Palmeiro with steroids.

Canseco told CNBC on Monday that while he accused Palmeiro of prior use, "I do not believe right now or recently Rafael Palmeiro has taken steroids."

"There could be a metabolite from the past," Canseco said. "No one really knows how long steroids last in your actual system."

It wasn't clear whether Palmeiro's test was taken before or after he spoke before the congressional panel. Anyone who lies under oath could be potentially subject to criminal perjury charges; Congress has the option of referring the case to the Justice Department, which would decide whether it's worth pursuing.

Union head Donald Fehr said the suspension "should serve to dispel doubts about our determination to rid baseball of illegal steroids, or the strength or effectiveness of our testing program."

Orioles executive vice president Jim Beattie agreed.

"I support the efforts in drug testing by Major League Baseball and the Players Association in order to retain the trust of our fans," he said. "It is very unfortunate that process has brought us to this situation at hand."

Playing without the 40-year-old Palmeiro on Monday, the Orioles lost 6-3 to the White Sox, their 12th defeat in 13 games. Baltimore played brilliantly in the first half of the season, occupying first place in the AL East for two months and giving Palmeiro cause to believe he might get to the World Series for the first time.

Upon his return from the suspension, he first hopes to regain the trust of his teammates. Palmeiro will then try to help the Orioles salvage a season that has taken a dramatic turn for the worse.

"I hope I can have their support and understanding of what I'm going through," he said. "Hopefully, they can accept me and let me come back and finish the season and help them get back to the playoffs."

Baltimore manager Lee Mazzilli said his players were "a little disappointed," but wanted to support their teammate. "The timing obviously is not good.

"We're going to have to make do right now. We're going to have to band together as a team and fight through it."