JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

article

mixenmasta.b

• Members

A BIG HAND FOR WILL Dec 3 2004

I, ROBOT

(15, DVD £17.99/Two-disc £24.99) 4/5 BUY IT

I’ve always had a soft spot for Will Smith, ever since the days of The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air, the classic ’90s TV show that displayed his comedic talents to perfection.

And after his 1993 stand-out performance in Six Degrees Of Separation – his first big screen starring role – I always knew that behind that grin there was a serious actor just dying to get out.

For anyone who didn’t see him as a troubled con artist in Six Degrees, I, Robot is the next best place to find Will being at least semi-serious.

This sci-fi actioner is not the most intellectual flick ever made, but for a Hollywood film it is decidedly un-cheesy and at least Smith gets to show there is a brain underneath that infectious, bubbly persona.

Set in Chicago in 2035, Smith plays Agent Spooner, a disgruntled detective who is suspicious of the robot technology that inhabits his world.

While everyone else embraces their electronic servants with gusto, Spooner still prefers to wear retro shoes and listen to a CD player you don’t need to speak instructions into.

So when eminent scientist Dr Alfred Lanning (James Cromwell), the father of modern robotics, dies in an apparent suicide, Spooner immediately suspects Lanning’s most prized creation – new generation robot Sonny (Alan Tudyk).

Also starring Bridget Moynahan as the psychologist assigned to keep an eye on Spooner, this is a well thought out adaptation of a collection of short stories from revered science fiction writer Isaac Asimov.

Slickly shot yet never ostentatious or over the top, director Alex Proyas weaves a tale that is as intriguing as it is exciting.

Smith responds well to Proyas’s intelligent direction, the futuristic world is believable and often brutally realistic, and even the dialogue is mostly corn-free.

A lot of thought has gone into the special features. On disc one there are commentaries from all the main crew (but sadly nothing from Smith) a short and sweet Making Of movie, a gag reel, stills gallery and trailers for upcoming movies.

For an extra seven quid you get another disc containing the I, Robot production diaries, a lot of talk about

the post-production process – so serious film buffs can get ideas for their own multi-million dollar feature – plus details about the robots and visual effects process.

There’s even some extended and deleted scenes, and a couple of tempting Easter eggs.