JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

LFO CONCERT

A handful of people here laugh at the fact that i love LFO. A few people here appriciate them. Anyways, when i first found out about them back in the 90's i was just totally in2 them. They wrote songs that reminded me of the kinda songs me and my cousin would write. On top of that, in their early days, they were basically a Hip-Hop group (not pop). I was definitly a huge fan when "Summergirls" dropped. It was just silly yet brilliant. "Girl On TV" just had a vibe and sound that nobody else had. Anyways, their 2nd album took more of a rock sound tho' Hip-Hop (amoungst other genres) was still heavily infuencing their style. That album was actually a big stepping stone for me accepting other music styles. When they went on their hiatus in 2003, i was crushed but still followed them (Brad starting 111 Records, Devin's solo career, Rich's other groups [bad Mood Mike, Loose Cannons], he solo music, Mission Man Band, and him conquoring cancer). Rich specifically is a big inspriation for me. I've never been a big fan of Vanilla Ice, but he kept a V-Ice poster up in his room long after he was popular as inspriation that white kid could make it in Hip-Hop. Anyways, his heavy Hip-Hop background, clever writing style, vocal style, down 2 earth attitude, and hilarious personality was something i just identified with (did i just compliment myself?).

Anyways, they hung out for the 1st time in forever and it has lead to them doing a reunion tour. No album, no music video, no record label...just some minor promoting. As soon as i found out they were officially touring i scooped up tickets. Last night was the show. I drove 4 hours 2 the venue and showed up early 2 check things out, the owner saw me and my friend outside and opened the door and asked if we were coming to the show early. I said yeah and was wondering how many tickets sold, what time he recommend we come back if we wanna be up front. He asked if i wanted 2 see the place and we of course said yes. I don't know how many of u see concerts but venues NEVER do stuff like walk u around, let u in early etc. The venue was actually connected 2 a church so i'm guessing that was the main reason this guy was so welcoming. Walking down the hallway we ran in2 Brad. He asked how we were and sparked up a short convo. The owner showed us the room. As we walked out we passed Devin who had on headphones and was just vibing 2 the music....we didn't bug him. After lunch and some shopping we came back 2 the place 2 wait. After talking to the 2nd couple that showed up, i found out it was her comment on their Myspace page that helped me realize tickets were on sale before they group even advertised it. The crowd wasn't big AT ALL. Hardly anyone was there when they started. The one guy did and acoustic set which was nice. Even tho' almost nobody was there he still gave it his all and personally thanked me and the 3 other people who paid attention 2 him...ha ha. Next up was another acoustic artist Kiernan McMcMullan. He reminded me of John Mayer with a more solid (less breathy) voice. He sold out of albums the show before so i bought a burned CD-R that he personally burned that day..ha ha. Next up were 2 punk pop bands. I did think i was gonna be able 2 stand them at all. I think i was being prejudice towards the stretchy jeans and the awful haircuts. I'm not really in2 their kinda style but they were good and i liked their set.

Next up was the moment i was waiting for for over 10 years. The fellaz came out and performed "Baby Be Mine" (one of my top 3 cuts off the 1st album). The guys just had total energy. Their different styles just work 2gether. It waz crazy 2 see them rocking this unfinished, unpainted, grass roots, spot when they used 2 perform for thousands at packed statiums, with choreography, female backup dancers, and outfit changes. This stage was just 2 feet off the ground, unfinished, instruments and wires everywhere. The vibe was just totally ill as they went down a dope set list (every song buy 2 or 3 of them were my personal top favorites). They reworked a few of their solo songs 2 fit the group. The audience built as the evening went one so buy the time LFO started their set it was much more packed. All i can say is that the show was great. Easily one of the best times of my life. Even tho' i have Rich's and Devin's solo albums, i bought them again cuz they were crazy cheap, bought a mini-poster for me and my friend and a VIP Fan pass which was just something 2 remember the evening by.

Since i got the advance online tickets, they came with a Meet + Greet. I realized why LFO has so many fan pix posted online. They love their fans so much that after rocking a show, they meet their fans and talk with them....ALL OF THEM (who want 2 and got the tickets w/ Meet + Greets. Me, my friend Regina, and the 2 people we met as we were waiting got 2 hang out on their bus with the guys. The invited us 2 sit down. Rich looks up at me and says "you're the guy from Myspace!" A couple years ago Rich came across my profile and noticed i was an LFO fan and dropped me a line. We kept in touch for awhile. As his following got bigger I would drop him a line but i understand he couldn't get back 2 me as easily as before. Anyways, not only did he remember me, but he remembered my musical preference (since they are similar 2 his). He was like "You are into old school Hip-Hop...Heavy D, PM Dawn...i love PM Dawn." Here i am sitting with a huge inspiration in my life and we are talking about 80's and 90's Hip-Hop. When they found out we drove 4 hours 2 see them, they were genuinly thanking us for the support and for coming out. We joked about the one song they messed up (something went crazy with the back track...Rich and Brad tried 2 keep performing as they made faces 2 each other like "this isn't working" as the live band just abandoned them on stage. Since i knew most of the words 2 the entire set we joked about me helping them out. We took a picture and wished each other safe travelz. They signed our posters and off we went. I don't freak out about celebrities but when it comes 2 my top favz, i would expect myself 2 be a lil' nervous or hyped 2 see them. I literally felt like i was hanging out with good friends i had known for 10 years.

As we walked back to the car, my friend Regina was so giddy. She didn't really know anything about LFO. On the ride down there i told her their story and made her listen 2 tons of their music. She remembered Summergirls, Girl On TV, and Every Other Time. She was also happy 2 see a show but it came across as no big deal 2 her. As they were performing, she got totally into them. She was smiling, jumping around, flipping her hair, and Devin was singing some of the lyrics 2 her. After the Meet + Greet she was smiling so big and said "I am seriously one of LFO's biggest fans now."

Due to the fact that they haven't had a hit in 8 years, have no real manager, no real promotion, they are having some shows packed and some only kinda full but they are commited 2 growing whether they keep it at this level or go back 2 a major label. They are doing a mid-west tour and a west coast tour before covering the east coast again. I will definitely see one of their shows again.

Just had 2 share my story...

For those of u on Myspace, u can see a few pix from the show. Like i said, the stage was 2 feet high...my toes were against the stage...ha ha. I was that close. There's also a pic of us on the bus. Unfortunatly Rich is half blinking in it and it's the only pic we got. There's also the "Summergirls" video on there and Rich's "Story of My Life" video as well.