JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Kaka and CR7 join Madrid!

Ale

Real Madrid lands Cristiano Ronaldo, approaches a quarter of a billion dollars on two players

cr7f.jpg

Christiano Ronaldo just cost Real Madrid nine-figures. Here's Ronaldo indicating how the economy looks from where he stands. George Steinbrenner, who built the New York Yankees with lavish spending, looks like a cheapskate compared with Real Madrid lately.

According to European media reports, the soccer club will spend $131.7 million to purchase the rights to Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo just days after spending $94 million for Brazil's Kaka. Add it up and the club is dropping more than $225 million -- not counting salaries -- to procure two of the best players in the sport. Ronaldo was named FIFA World Player of the Year in 2008. Kaka won in 2007.

There's already skepticism from Real Madrid's archrival, FC Barcelona, over whether the club can afford to spend so much. Real Madrid has recently acknowledged having significant debt.

Imagine if NBA rules allowed the Boston Celtics to buy Kobe Bryant and LeBron James. It's not a perfect analogy since neither of the soccer players are locked in a greatest-of-all-time debate, but you get the idea. Scary.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/06/real-madrid-lands-christiano-ronaldo-approaches-a-quarter-of-a-billion-dollars-on-two-players.html

----------------------

Welcome to the greatest club in the world, Ronaldo!

Florentino rules :smile:

Edited by Ale

Thats make me sick.

The price of Ronaldo is very too high.

He is, for me, the best player in the world.

But football is going too far : $130 millions is a lot too much for a football player

PS : Ronaldo din't join Madrid, M.U. accepted the offer, but Ronaldo didn't sign anything

Edited by Romano338

Well, the Real Madrid has had the best player for a while now, at least most of them. It is a team that can compete in the world cup and get into the finals.. but most of them good players are from out of the country.

Its ridiculous that a team can just splash out this kind of money on 2 players.

For me, its Real doing what they have been doing for some time now. Buying success. All credit to them, it works, but I just prefer the development side of football more. Much like Arsene Wenger has done/did with Arsenal. Making stars instead of buying them. But thats what football has become, a money game. It's a shame, unless you're a fan of a club with big money, of course.

I just hope for Real's sake the results live up to the names. Coz they did get raped by Barca this season :laugh:

Edited by Big Willie

I just hope for Real's sake the results live up to the names. Coz they did get raped by Barca this season :laugh:

We didn't need to remember that dude LOL

I'm not in a position to talk being a Newcastle fan am I really? LOL

We didn't need to remember that dude LOL

I'm not in a position to talk being a Newcastle fan am I really? LOL

Haha, nah man, white and black stripes forever!! :laugh:

I don't really like that neither.

I prefer too what Wenger does.

Buy a good player for a great price, ok, but it's far too much.

And Perez proved in the past that bigs names or not equal to winning. The first part of his precedent presidence was ok, but then...

But what Madrid needs right now is a change, something that makes fans forget this bad season, and I think buying great players is a good move. Yeah, shame they have to pay all that money but... what do you want me to say? That's not my business. If Florentino wants to do it and can do it then I don't see the problem. It's legal. Sure football is a money game but we can't do anything about it, and it won't be me who will complain.

Figo & Zidane were excellent players for Madrid (Zizou is my all time fav. player).

Thats why the lower leagues, like say, the Championship in England, is really when the proper football happens. It really is the place to be, 100%. So al that over payed under achieveing stuff in La Liga and the Premiership, real football happens in teh Championship.

Am I clutching at straws yet?

• 4 weeks later...

Video:

Ronaldo welcomed by 80,000 fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAIgWGCYGJU

80,000 Welcome ‘CR9′ to Madrid

impresionante.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo, who will wear No. 9 for Real Madrid, has been dubbed “CR9″ by fans and the Spanish media.

Some 80,000 fans showed up Monday to see Florentino Pérez’s vision for Real Madrid come one step closer to fruition. That’s approximately how many people filled the Santiago Bernabeu stadium for Cristiano Ronaldo’s introduction as the team’s new No. 9.

The former Manchester United wing passed his team physical this morning and told fans this evening his boyhood dream of playing for Los Blancos is now a reality.

“I didn’t expect a jam-packed stadium,” Ronaldo said, according to Goal.com’s transcription of the event. “This is truly impressive!”

The club’s head of medical services, Carlos Diez, said Ronaldo “is in perfect condition and very eager to start the season as soon as possible.”

“He has an extraordinary cardiac and lung capacity,” said Diez. “Now we will be able to start working using an individual plan in order to improve his performance.”

When Ronaldo pulls on the Real Madrid jersey, he’ll wear the coveted No. 9 shirt worn by Real Madrid great Alfredo di Stefano. The Portuguese star has a history of living up to the number on the back of his shirt. At Manchester United, he inherited the No. 7 shirt from David Beckham, which was also worn by United greats Eric Cantona and George Best. Wearing that shirt, Ronaldo scored 118 goals in 292 appearances since 2003, a commendable achievement in one of the world’s top leagues.

But the player made a bit of a stir (a ripple, really, compared to his record-setting $131 million transfer fee) when he said that the Prem won’t be the competition it once was with him gone.

“I think La Liga is going to have more quality because of the players that are arriving,” Ronaldo said, presumably counting himself and new teammates Kaka and Karim Benzema. “All the players have a lot of quality and the referees protect the players.”

“The Premier League is a very good competition,” added Ronaldo, “but I think that the Spanish league is going to have a little more quality because of the players that are arriving. Both leagues are going to be very good but I think that with Florentino Pérez’s signings, the Spanish league is superior to the English.”

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/06/80000-welcome-cr9-to-madrid/