JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Battle of the music styles

analogue

We all hear "the music industry is dead", "music isn't what it use to be", etc. But, when asked to give examples of what kind of style is ruining the music industry, Hip Hop and RnB is usually brought up as the style of music that is lacking from what the singers of those genres use to entertain us with.

Is country, rock, , classical, gospel music and other genres of music share the blame in the decline of music? Or are these genres of music still thriving? Or are they not what they use to be either?

Could it be that those of us that don't like the music of today are just getting older and we miss those performers that we grew up listening to and just don't understand this new music that the kids are in to?

You as a fan, what do you think musicians should do to get back on the right track to appeal to your ears again?

Gospel and Christian music aren't the blame. Most artists from that genre aren't going for mainstream success. They grow and experiment like every other pool of artists from other genres. Gospel and Christian artists aren't controling or molding popular music tho.'

I don't listen 2 any Classical music. It isn't contoling popular music and seems like it has to remain where it's at. Classical music doesn't have alot of room to evolve...but i could be totally wrong since i'm no expert on it.

Rock has tons of influence. Rocks has always branched off in 2 different sub-genres. There are always bandwagons in Rock that make u ?uestion the artists. There was the grunge era...everyone jumped on it...even Heavy Metal artists. Then mainsteam Rock (Vertical Horizon) was big along with feel-good Rock (Sugar Ray). Now this awful emo style whiny Rock is big. I'm no expert on Rock music, but it seems 2 follow the same patten of popular Hip-Hop and Rap. Subgenres, gimmicks, bandwagons are all 2 common.

Country has a few subgenres but i don't think they have anything 2 do with the overall decline of music. Their fans seem 2 be the most loyal tho.' The only reason the mainstream state of Hip-Hop sucks is becuz there is no loyalty in Hip-Hop music. Fans are quick 2 forget or ignore artists they once supported. Just compare sales of MC Hammer's "Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em" to "Too Legit To Quit"....or Fresh Prince's "Big Willie Style" to "Willennium." The quality of the music stayed the same, the promotion was the same, the vibe of the music was similar...but sales dropped, the media didn't support it, and fans sold out.

I think that the audience that controls what is popular on the radio and on TV has a lack of knowledge of Hip-Hop music and culture. That is why untalented, uncreative people are finding success with garbage music. The fans don't know what good music is. They will buy in2 anything. They don't think for themselves. They let the media and other people tell them what is hot and what 2 listen 2. It's discusting. I think the average age that controls this has gone down 2.

The only way 2 fix the industry is to not support artists who are clearly only gonna be here for a short time who have no artistic ability. They need 2 stop worrying about making a quick buck and INVEST in real artists. Hip-Hop needs 2 enrich the minds of the listeners by exposing them 2 good music instead of bad. Also, when u are pushing downloads and stuff like that, instead of albums. U are incouraging fans 2 buy in 2 gimmicks and flavor-of-the-month artists and NOT talented artists who are releasing albums. The industry is shooting themselves in the foot by doing that. They are setting up steps 2 do away with releasing real music in a respectable way.

I could go on forever...but it's late and i'm about 2 crash. But because many of us are Hip-Hop, R-N-B, Rap, and Pop music fans, we are seeing the worst of it. Music as a whole is only suffering a portion compared to the fact that nearly every record on Rap and R-N-B radio is average at best...but mostly straight wack.

As i have gotten older i realise the music i want to hear i just have to search harder for. I am pretty much missing a lot of the music on TV and Radio these days. Slightly by choice because i dont see the point anymore.

I know the bands i like, and their influences so that sends me in the right direction to find new music if and when i want to.