JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

ASHANTI + LALAH HATHAWAY ALBUMS OUT

Yesterday i picked up Ashanti's new album and Lalah Hathaway's new albums...here's quick reviews for the R-N-B fans. I'm skipping the track by track reviews becuz those who care can just peep the songs online and make their own judgement.

ASHANTI "THE DECLARATION"

Ashanti has always bounced back and forth between making average and good music. I get all of her albums and usually only listen 2 half of the songs regularly, then put her albums away for long periods of time. I like her new single and picked it up at it's new release sale price. Her voice is the same as ever. No deep soul in it...just a pretty sweet singing voice. The sound of the album doesn't have much variety. Most of the tracks are mid-tempo and have the 2000-2003 radio ready R-N-B feel. At 1st i was kinda bored by the sound, but since it's been awhile since that sound of R-N-B has been gone for awhile, i started liking it more and more as i went thru' the album. I don't like that most of them are mid-tempo. I think the variety of slow and uptempo should be a bit stronger. Her lyrics are good and they are all penned by Ashanti herself. Murder Inc. has no real involvement in the album (which is a good thing). With every album she has seperated from them more and more...making it so that i personally can take her more seriously. The Murder Inc. team has no production on the album. The album features some work by Babyface, Jermaine Durpi, Darkchild, and Diane Warren...who mix each of their styles with Ashanti's radio-ready R-N-B sound. Vocally, she's only working with Robin Thicke, Akon, and Nelly. She doesn't even thank Irv Gotti and Ja-Rule in that "thank you's." When it comes 2 straight R-N-B, she has a good album here. Alot of the R-N-B scene is getting forgettable faces in it...Ashanti is doing her part 2 not be that.

LALAH HATHAWAY "SELF PORTRAIT"

I had no idea this album waz coming out until i saw it in the new releases. I picked it up with no hesitation. Labeled as "Urban Contemporary," this album is just one of those albums that has deep lyrics about love and life. The production is flawless, filled with live instrument and a deep sound. No glamour, no glitz, no gimmicks...just perfect R-N-B/Soul music. I strongly suggest all R-N-B fans check this album. If u like Musiq Soulchild, Jill Scott, Kenny Lattimore, Ledisi, u will like this.

You'r not right about working with them less on every album. Concrete Rose was as Inc you can get. By the way, I tend the fact that she doesnt even thankl them pretty messed up, caus without them this CD woudnt be on the market right now, since they are still her boss's.

Edited by Turntable