JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

MUSIC NEWZ

Shakur Estate Moves Against Songs' Sale

AP

Posted: 2007-07-24 08:23:27

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Tupac Shakur's mother is seeking to prevent his former label, Death Row Records Inc., from selling the late rapper's unreleased recordings as part of a bankruptcy settlement.

Afeni Shakur sought an injunction in federal bankruptcy court Friday claiming Death Row was attempting to sell Shakur material that belonged to the rapper's estate.

Unreleased recordings should have been turned over to the estate as part of a 1997 agreement with the record label, said attorney Donald N. David, who represents the estate.

But during Death Row's bankruptcy proceedings, "it was revealed that an album's worth of unreleased Tupac material was being advertised to potential buyers as the jewel in the crown of the Death Row assets," David said.

Afeni Shakur and the company she established, Amur Entertainment, requested an injunction after the label failed to confirm the songs would not be included in the bankruptcy settlement, David said.

The court was expected to consider the request within a month when it decides whether to permit the label to release an album with the unreleased tracks to help pay off its debts, David said.

A call to Ronald L. Leibow, an attorney representing Death Row in bankruptcy proceedings, was not immediately returned Monday.

In the 1990s, Death Row was home to superstar rappers such as Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre, as well as Shakur.

The label's fortunes - and those of its owner, Marion "Suge" Knight - started to slide when Shakur was shot and killed in 1996 while riding in the passenger seat of Knight's car.

The shooting took place after the pair were involved in a fight in a Las Vegas hotel. The attack resulted in Knight being sent to prison for violating his parole.

After Shakur's death, Death Row and the rapper's family settled for an undisclosed sum amid allegations that the label had defrauded Shakur, David said.

Knight sought bankruptcy protection for himself and the company in April 2006. He claimed debts of more than $100 million in each filing.

At the time, Knight estimated personal assets of zero to $50,000. Last month, the rap mogul placed his seven-bedroom, 9 1/2-bath home on the market for $6.2 million as part of his financial overhaul.

---------------------------------

Jennifer Lopez & Marc Anthony to Tour Together

TUESDAY JULY 24, 2007 08:00 AM EDT

By Caris Davis

Jennifer Lopez and husband Marc Anthony will co-headline their first tour together this fall.

The occasion will mark Lopez's first-ever live concert road trip.

The couple, both 38, will perform separate sets of their own material and will also duet together, and each set will include songs in English and Spanish, according to representatives for the duo.

Lopez – who was paid more than $1.2 million to perform a 40-minute set at a Russian millionaire's birthday party in April – and Anthony also plan to use their live musical debut together to highlight the problem of childhood obesity in the Latino community.

"When I was a kid, we spent most of our time outside visiting in the neighborhood with friends. This is the first generation of kids who are so sedentary and the first whose parents might outlive them," Lopez said in a statement. "We really need to be active in encouraging healthy eating and the joys and fun of exercising."

The headliners will donate one dollar from every ticket sold to the ING Run For Something Better, a kids' fitness program that aims to reduce childhood obesity by introducing youngsters to the benefits of running, physical fitness, and healthy lifestyle choices.

---------------------------------------------

Kelly Clarkson Apologizes to Clive Davis

AP

Posted: 2007-07-23 17:14:03

Filed Under: Music

NEW YORK (July 23) - Kelly Clarkson has done a lot of talking about reports of a feud with Clive Davis over the direction of her new album, "My December." Now, she's apologizing.

Kelly Clarkson's new album, 'My December,' caused tension with her label boss, Clive Davis. The legendary label man is said to have had problems with the rock-heavy songs, which were all co-written by Clarkson.

"I want to set the record straight on this by saying that I want my band, my advisors, those close to me and my record label to be one big, tightly knit family," the 25-year-old singer said Monday in a statement posted on her Web site.

"Like any family we will disagree and argue sometimes but, in the end, it's respect and admiration that will keep us together."

For months, Clarkson has weathered - and also fueled in candid interviews - reports of a battle with Davis, who oversees her record label, RCA, over the direction of "My December," which was released June 26.

"A lot has been made in the press about my relationship with Clive," the former "American Idol" said in her statement. "Much of this has been blown way out of proportion and out of context."

"Contrary to recent characterizations in the press, I'm well aware that Clive is one of the great record men of all time," her statement said. "He has been a key advisor and has been an important force in my success to date."

------------------------

Britney's Shopping Trip Turns Chaotic -- Cops Called

Posted Jul 23rd 2007 6:27PM by TMZ Staff

Filed under: Celebrity Justice, Train Wrecks, Britney Spears

There was pushing, there was shoving, there was flower crushing -- all because of Britney Spears.

Moments ago, all hell broke loose outside of Lisa Kline clothing store in Beverly Hills, as Britney's bodyguard desperately tried to clear a path from her car to the store. According to several on-scene witnesses, a gang of overzealous photogs went wild trying to score a shot of Spears as she bobbed, and, ahem, weaved her way into the place. Witnesses claim that the bodyguard and sea of photogs violently pushed back and forth as Britney and her new assistant tried to dash inside.

TMZ was told that LAPD was called, but the crazy scene had already calmed down before they arrived. Cops checked in with Spears at her next stop. No one was reported injured, but there were definitely a few pricey casualties -- including a $4,000 flower bed in front of the store, which was crushed during the melee, and the bodyguard's shirt was torn.

Inside the store, Britney didn't seem to be bothered by the mess. Sources told us that she was, "a delight ... she was very sweet."

Afterward, the chaos continued as Britney tried to get back to her car. Brit's massive bodyguard plowed a path to her Benz, while the gargantuan beast roared for snappers to move. They did.