JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

PETE ROCK: SOUL SURVIVOR II

It's long over due, but i FINALLY picked up Pete Rock's new album "Soul Survivor II." The intro 2 the album, which is a spoken work track by Black Ice (who i saw speak live in B-more when i say Musiq) waz actually recorded by DJ Jazzy Jeff. Of course it waz produced by Pete Rock, but it's kinda cool 2 know that they are cool enuff that Pete Rock had the track recorded by Jeff at A Touch of Jazz. Pete Rock thanks Jazzy Jeff in the Thank U's and so dose BBE in theres.

The rest of this post has nothing 2 do with Jazzy Jeff....just the album. Pete Rock dose it again!! Quality, timeless, Hip-Hop. Every beat is good...if not great. Some of the artists on the album didn't impress me much but the majority are talented. Talib Kweli, Jay Dee (J-Dilla), Slum Village, and Pharoahe Monch shine the most in my opinion. The real gems how ever are the 2 Pete Rock + C.L. Smooth trax. Technically there are 3 but Talib Kweli takes all the verses and C.L. is just on the hook. Anyone starving for some non-commercial yet, not underground Hip-Hop, u should really give this album a listen. I think Jeff's album is better than Pete's current one, but i compare it 2 the Pete Rock + C.L. Smooth albums as i compare Jazzy Jeff's album 2 the JJ+FP albums. U WANT the group 2 be 2gether as a unit, but u are just happy 2 have some good music by a legend u grew up on musically. Pete Rock dosen't really rap on this album. Sure, he waz never the lyrical one, but i expected a few rhymes from him. He only adlibs a lil' and takes a hook here and there. Not much DJ's either. Just dope beats and some underground and true skool talent.

There's even a current Pete Rock + C.L. Smooth pic inside the insert.

• Admin

appreciate is an awesome track :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: warzone is a great track 2..i love that beat :switch: :switch: the other tracks nothing really stands out for me.. jazzy jeff is working on black ice's album at the moment.. should be interesting.. its been a long time since there was a successful spoken word/poet album out there

I bout Soul Survivor 2 when it comes out... I just like the Song with Angie Stone and Appreciate with CL Smooth... da rest is not what I would listen 2. I heard that Pete Rock changed his producin equipment... no more emu systems.. I mean, ok.. all this new akai stuff is better 2 experiments.. u can realize more creativity. But this 2000 mpcs sound like a VW Beetle, while da 12bit equipment is a tuned beamer.. I think Petestrumentals was ways better... n of course da unreleased stuff.. center of attention.. Deda.. but they were from around 1995. I think itz cool when a producin good like Pete Rock tries something else.. like dis track with Dead Prez.. now itz time 4 original stuff... a yes, n he should stopp argueing with CL.., cuz smooth Hip Hopz don't need argueing about who wantz more carz or such ****. "One in a million funk 4 u ba bee!"

Peace