JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

'I'M LOOKING FOR THE ONE TO BE WITH ME' ORIGINALLY FOR WRECKX-N-EFFECT

On the 4th of July, I posted "I'm Looking For The One (To Be With Me)" on a New Jack Swing Facebook group.  I did it as a way to celebrate Big Willie Weekend/Independence Day.  The video post currently has over 35 likes and a lot of people are showing love to the song.  Since the single didn't do incredibly well, I didn't expect so many people to be aware of it and to show so much love for it.  New Jack Swing fans don't play around though.  They are truly down for New Jack Swing and anything Teddy Riley has done.

Anyway, I'm posting this because one of the group members has a list of Teddy Riley's work, and he said that the instrumental was originally intended for Wreckx-N-Effect and that their title for the song was "Summer Jam."  It was done in 1991 and 1992.  When they didn't use the song on Hard Or Smooth, the song ended up in JJ+FP's hands and it gave way to "I'm Looking For The One To Be With Me."  I imagine that the whole "Summer" vibe is where the connection came from. They compared the song to W-N-E's "Tell Me How You Feel" and "New Jack Swing: Part II (Smooth Version)" that did make the album that have a similar vibe.  Perhaps they didn't wanna overload the album with the smoothed out R&B songs.  I've never heard the Smooth Version of "New Jack Swing: Part II." It's not on their albums or any of the singles that I have.

I just wanted to share this.  I'm sure a handful of you would find it interesting: https://www.facebook.com/groups/261205563932904/854357377951050/?notif_t=like

wreckx-n-effect is one of my favorite new jack swing groups, it'd be interesting to hear what their version would sound like, i'm a big teddy riley fan too, and i think that "I'm Lookin For The One" is my favorite JJFP song besides "Brand New Funk" and "Summertime", it was definately an all time song to me!