JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will is "The Last Pharaoh"

Radewart

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799180...yid=13&cs=1

Will Smith may next morph into a god.

"Braveheart" scribe Randall Wallace will write "The Last Pharaoh," a Columbia drama crafted as a vehicle for Smith to play Taharqa, the pharaoh who battled Assyrian invaders in ancient Egypt.

Smith, James Lassiter and Ken Stovitz will produce for Overbrook Entertainment.

Smith, who has long wanted to play the pharaoh, brought Wallace the Taharqa story.

The film will focus on his battles with Assyrian leader Esarhaddon starting in 677 B.C.

Smith next stars for Columbia in "Seven Pounds," a reteam with "Pursuit of Happyness" director Gabriele Muccino that Overbrook produced with Escape Artists.

Wallace will next direct a Mike Rich-scripted Disney film about Triple Crown-winning racehorse Secretariat and its owner, Penny Chenery. He also just signed on to a Jerry Bruckheimer-produced Disney adaptation of the WWII battle saga "Killing Rommel," which Wallace will write with author Steven Pressfield.

Edited by Radewart

• Members

Now that IS cool. The downside is that it seems like a Summer 2010 release at the earliest. So after "Seven Pounds" we're looking at 18 months of no Will Smith movies :(

I don't think so. He'll probably start filming 'Empire' in January.

What makes you say that? I thought Michael Mann was supposed to direct "Empire" but in January he'll probably be doing post-prod work on "Public Enemies"....

This is positive news.

At first I wasn't happy when they wanted to hire the guys from Never back down to write the script,

but Wallace is a proven writer with ''we were soldiers'' and of course the classic Braveheart.

This is a step in the right direction for Will, get proven A-list people to work on his films.

All he needs is a great director now, that'll make or break the movie.

That's going to be the most important part now, I hope it's someone good. Silly a bit but Gibson would have been nice.

Would be ironic as the movie also revolves around the rescue of Jerusalem, lol.

Now that IS cool. The downside is that it seems like a Summer 2010 release at the earliest. So after "Seven Pounds" we're looking at 18 months of no Will Smith movies :(

I don't think so. He'll probably start filming 'Empire' in January.

What makes you say that? I thought Michael Mann was supposed to direct "Empire" but in January he'll probably be doing post-prod work on "Public Enemies"....

I said "probably" :lolsign:

But I don't think that we won't see a new WS movie until 18 months after 'Seven Pounds'. I'm sure he's gonna make at least one movie in 2009, and I think that it could be 'Empire' since I don't see 'The Trial Of The Chicago 7' and the other rumored movies happening. We'll have to wait though.

Edited by Ale