JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

MOS DEF RETURNS TO HIS OLD NAME AND OLD WAY OF DICING UP BEATS - UPDATE: FALSE ALARM

With all of the recent news of Yasiin Bey making headlines, the Brooklyn MC’s return to music was a topic of conversation for many, and with the release of a video for “Basquiat Ghostwriter” earlier this week, it seemed his return was inevitable. Now he’s back with more new work, this time in the form of a Ski Beatz-produced track called “Sensei on the Block.” Released as a Mos Def song, it is a reunion of sorts for the rapper and producer duo, who previously worked together on “Cream of the Planet,” a single from Ski Beatz’s 2010 album 24 Hour Karate School. With two new songs released in one month under different stage names, the enigma and ever-evolving entity that is Mos Def/Yasiin Bey continues to surprise and inspire, but one constant has remained – both are undeniably Hip-Hop. Mos Def is certainly repping his old, familiar sound on this latest release, and his Bed Stuy shout-out adds a bit of throwback familiarity to Heads who have been following him since his earliest records.

While official word on any forthcoming album hasn’t begun to circulate, Mos Def has nonetheless been busy lately, venturing into the world of stand-up comedy, putting forth a challenge to other rappers (which was allegedly leaked without his consent), and putting forth music as Yasiin Bey. Check out “Sensei on the Block,” and head over to iTunes to download it.

http://ambrosiaforheads.com/2015/08/chris-rivers-opts-for-a-lyrical-tribute-to-sean-price-in-the-form-of-a-freestyle-audio/

Edited by JumpinJack AJ

Okay....maybe not...

OKP Exclusive: Yasiin Bey Calls Out Those Still Using The Words “Mos Def”

When Yasiin Bey shared his new surprise single “Sensei On The Block,” many outlets (including Okayplayer) focused on it being labeled a Mos Def track, and harkened his return to the name by which we originally knew and loved him. Now, in a statement offered exclusively to Mr. Mass and Okaypalyer, the MC has set the record straight: Mos Def is gone for good. No more. Kaput. Any reference to new songs being released as “Mos Def material” are improper and, in his own words “illegal.”

We’ll be the first to admit we made a mistake in our coverage of “Sensei,” but are now more than happy to help set the record straight for the entire music news industry. In his video statement (shot live on location from Banksy’s Dismaland), we’re notified that in no way is Yasiin returning to his old name. We’ve gone back and corrected our headlines (and heads); you oughtta do the same.

“Whatever reports that you’ve heard that I’m returning to the name Most Def are false, and any music that’s been released under that name recently is without my consent, my knowledge. It’s being sold illegally. DOn’t support it, it’s corny and whack to do that. I’m tired of people playing internet games, slandering me and trying to start rumors; I don’t do that to anybody, and I don’t appreciate it being done to me.”

— Yasiin Bey

Bey also stresses that “the internet can be a very irresponsible place in terms of information and news,” a statement with which we agree wholeheartedly. Delivered to us by French maestro Mr. Mass, the clip should be watched in full by anyone who gives a damn about getting it right when it comes to this legendary artist’s music.

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/okp-exclusive-yasiin-bey-mos-def-correction.html