JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper appreciation thread

Guest Guest_Jin_*

Guest Guest_Jin_*

i found this on allhiphop.com...mostly positive feedbacks!

http://allhiphop.com/forums/1/18928762/ShowThread.aspx

The first Hip Hop album I ever bought.....Do you know why you've never heard a rapper say anything agianst Will Smith?(Eminem shoulda got his ass kicked for that disrespectful line) Because Will was once an ill emcee....This was Will(or as he was more known as back then The Fresh Prince) and Jeffs second album(people used to think it was their first) and sadly it was their only good album.

Let me explain why this album is so great. Forget the fact that this was the first Hip Hop album to win a Grammy. Or that Will Smith was the first to bring Hip Hop to mainsteam America with his show Fresh Prince Of Bel Air(tho we must give him props for that one as well...he did a lot of Hip Hop name dropping from mentioning Cold Chillin' to saying Tragedy Khadfi's name although back then his name was Intellegent Hoodlum)

This is the kind of trademark album you'll never see again in Hip Hop. Its 18 tracks. 1st side(10 tracks) is dedicated to emceeing so its all Fresh Prince...The second side(8 tracks) is decicated to DJing. The production is flawless. And will Smith was a great Story teller. I still say that when this album came out he was lyrically better then LL Cool J. U have tracks like "As We Go" which samples the now overused "Impeach The President" loop. The ever popular "Parents Just Don't Understand" and the albums opener "Nightmare On My Street" which samples the Nightmare On Elm Street theme music perfectly while The Fresh Prince raps about his encounter with Freddy Kruger. (Mind you this was when Hip Hop was still fun.) There's a track titled "Live At The Union Square" which was a spot that anyone who claimed to be an emcee had to rock. His now infamous line "all the people in the house with aids be quiet" doesn't realy sound right now that 20 years later we see aids was no joke. When I started DJing I had to go back to this album to study Jeff. Jeff is a ****ing genius and master when it comes to the turntables. and Jeffs contribution to this album is why this album stands out as one of the greatest Hip Hop albums ever.

The album even gives do to beatboxing by having Ready Rock C dominate two songs on side 2 "My Buddy" were Ready Rock beatboxes the "Impeach The President" beat while The Fresh Prince countsdown how many emcee's he took out starting from 10 and the albums closing song "Human Video Game" where The Fresh Prince raps about his obsession towards video games while Ready Rock beatBoxes Donkey Kong and Pac Mans music.

Dope beats Dope rhymes what more could ya'll want??? Too bad These 2 couldn't make an outstanding album like this ever again(as if Will even really needed to). But I will say this, If you've never heard this album COP IT NOW!!!! Trust me you'll enjoy it. This album is one of the reasons the Golden Era of hip hop (87-93) was so golden.

This album doesnt need any extra appreciation, Why do you think its the one i chose to get Will to sign when i briefly met him

It may not need any extra appreciation, but hey, its a great reminder of a classic hip hop album that a lot of people have forgotten about. So many people don't even know that Will was a rapper first.

sadly it was their only good album.

Who wrote that...i'll kill him with my bare hands.

:fencing:

Wow, the person wrote a great review for Hes the DJ, but then dissed the rest of their albums?? Makes no sense at all...