JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

ALBUM REVIEWS

JumpinJack AJ

There's lots of albums that have come out in the past few months...especially recently with the holidays approaching. So post your reviews here incase it'll help someone deside what 2 check out and what not 2.

2PAC - PAC'S LIFE (6/10)

This heavily doctored disc marks the 10's anniversary of his death. UNTOUCHABLE (SWIZZ BEATZ REMIX) has Bone giving an average appearnce on the track. It's cool that someone who worked with him while he waz alive got on the album...but Swizz's beat sucks. It sounds like a beat DMX rejected. "PAC'S LIFE" is a really stupid song. T.I. brings a crappy verse 2 the song and Ashanti sings the stupidest hook yet on a doctored 2Pac track..."Pac's life...everybody talk about 'Pac's life..." puh-leez. I think Ashanti is okay, but she sounds like an amature on this song. The beat has a crappy 80's synth sound 2 it. Just garbage. 2Pac handles his of course. "DUMPIN'"...ahhh...this one is good. Most die hard 2Pac fans will probably agree with me that this song is dope. The hook, the beat...it just dose him justice. Carl Thomas's non-stoplight-stealing appearance is just right and Outlaw Hussein Fatal adds authenticity 2 the track and new school hopefully Papoose adds a good verse. "PLAYA CARDS RIGHT (FEMALE)" is another dope one. The beat is true 2 something 2Pac would have flowed over. And while Keyshia Cole wasn't recording in the 90's...her and 2Pac were cool...her history with him gives her a well-earned spot on the track...and she makes the most of it. Dope song. "WHAT'S NEXT" has an awful beat. Just awful. 2Pac fans will skip over this one quick unless they are clining on 2 his lyrics. "SLEEP" has an okay beat...but not what 2Pac would settle for. Young Buck makes a second attmpt 2 ruin 2Pac's music on this on...and out-of-place but promising talent Chamillionaire pops up on this one. "INTERNATIONAL" has a beat so bad, u don't even wanna wait for the lyrics. "DON'T SLEEP" provides a much better beat, but still not on the level 2Pac would have settled for. A few of 2Pac's homies are on this track...but so does Lil Scrappy (Why God?...WHY!?!?). "SOON AS I GET HOME" has a pretty good beat and 2Pac's vocals sound at home over the track. They got a pretty good one here. "PLAYA CARDS RIGHT (MALE)" is another good one. Like the earlier version, the beat is good. Ludacris makes one of his stand out appearances on this track. The R-N-B hook is nice 2. "DON'T STOP" has 2Pac stirring up some controversy lyrically...but the beat is subpar. Lots of 2Pac's roaddogs are on this joint tho'...keeping things in the family. "PAC'S LIFE (REMIX)" is a crappy revist of the earlier version. Snoop Dogg adds flava 2 it...but again, the beat and the hook sucks. "UNTOUCHABLE" is much better than the earlier version...but no where nearly as good as the original. The production is more solid...but still not very good.

All in all, 2Pac's flow and lyrics are as dope as ever. Of course most of this stuff waz never intended 2 be released so some of it isn't quite on the level as some of his pre-1997 stuff. Alot of the production is not 2Pac's sound and not very good. Most of the guest spots are unnecessary and 2Pac would have never given half of them the time of day 2 make song with. As a long time fan, i'm of course upset, but there are a handful of trax i'll be sure 2 put on a new 2Pac mixtape for the car. My rating of the album is probably 2 favorable...but that's strictly cuz i love what 2Pac writes.

SNOOP DOGG - THE BLUE CARPET TREATMENT (7 1/2 / 10)

Maybe i didn't listen 2 Snoop's music very carefully, and on some albums, very often, but this is definitly on of his best. The sound is dope. It's just a good mix of Hip-Hop, Funk, and R-N-B. Like most albums, there are stronger tracks and weaker tracks, but over all, the sound of the album is dope. There's lots of quality production on this one. Snoop's definitly found his swagger when it come 2 his flow and lyrics. I'm still impressed with some of the lryics on this one...and this isn't even my favorite style of Hip-Hop music. I wish there wern't so many guest artists tho.' Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, R. Kelly, B-Real, Akon, MC Eiht, Kam, Jamie Foxx, and Stevie Wonder all give good performances tho.' Give this album a listen.

GINUWINE - GREATEST HITS (6/10)

Looks like someone's contract is running out. While Ginuwine's latest album didn't do big numbers like the ones b4, he's never slipped when it comes 2 bringing quality R-N-B music. This thrown 2gether album (which has no input from Ginuwine) features 13 of his hit singles. However, as a big fan, i'm really unhappy with the collection since it doesn't offer anything new for the fans. A remix or 2 or a b-side would be nice. Besides, it's missing Tell Me Do You Wanna, U R The Only 1, I'll Do Anything, and When Doves Cry. Is the music good...YES. Did Sony do a good job putting this 2gether...they did what they felt would make them money. The reason my rating isn't good is strictly cuz Sony sucks...it has nothing 2 do with Ginuwine.

MARY J. BLIGE - MJB & FRIENDS (8 1/2 / 10

This album is only available at Circuit City. The purchase of this CD/DVD goes towards the Boys + Girls Club. It's not actually an album, but a 9 track compilation album featuring songs MJB shared the spotlight for (Tell Me Why would have been a great addition 2 the album). The album covers music made between 1997 thru' now. It's a weird mix since it jumps years and genres, but any MJB fan will like this album (and the DVD). I'm not sure where all these trax came from (except for 3 or 4 of them) but it's cool having them all 2gether. Favorite Flavor w/ LL is on there. Love Changes from Jamie Foxx's album is on there. Her 1997 single w/ Nas is on there as well as appearances from Sting, Robin Thicke, Patti Lavell, Dave Young, Santana, + Elton John. The DVD is loaded with interviews and live performances.

AKON - KONVICTED (8 / 10)

Akon has always come across as an underdog 2 me who made it. He's got that dancehall/reggae styled R-N-B with subject matter of a Hip-Hop artist. Eminem actually makes an appearance that fun and kinda like his early stuff. "I Wanna Love You" with Snoop is one of the best songs on the radio right now. Akon really does have a good album here. Get past his hit singles and listen 2 his lyrics. He's got alot of good things 2 say. The production is different 2. Not different enough 2 make him an outcast...but definitly different from alot of people who are sucessful right now. Listen 2 this album with an open ear.

KIRK FRANKLIN - SONGS FOR THE STORM: VOLUME 1 (7 1/2 / 10)

Kirk Franklin has put 2gether a compilation of songs he's done over the past 15 years that deal with pain, struggle and turning that around 2 comfort. Gospel music isn't for everyone...but i love what he's done with this album, it even has a new song called "Look At Me Now."

TAMIA - BETWEEN FRIENDS (8/10)

Tamia returns on the independent tip. She brings that sweet soul that regular fans will expect and a few uptempo trax. Shep Crawford handles most of the production, but Rodney Jerkins supplies 3 trax for it. This is definitly for the mature R-N-B fan. Another masterpiece. Scoop this up quick and get a bonus DVD.

JAGGED EDGE - THE HITS (7/10)

Here's another rushed out Sony project. JE has no involvment on this "Hits" disc. It's just an 11 track CD filled with some of their singles. JE is one of the best R-N-B group 2 come out in a long time. So the music is good, it's just that Sony did a poor job with this. It starts off with the cheap looking package and artwork of the album. The real mess up is that singles like The Way That You Walk, Slow Motion, Goodbye, and What's It Like are not on this project. 2 songs off their more recent album that appear on here weren't even singles...at least i didn't know of any videos...meaning they weren't hits if they were. It's just a rushed project. If a CD can hold 80 minutes of music...USE IT.

I'm about done with these new Tupac albums, ever since Better Dayz. It just got maxed out for me. "Soon As I Get Home", was I guess the only undoctored track. It was just remastered.

I seen the advertise for Jagged Edge and Ginuwine last night too. That's a shame about the greatest hits. It'd a probably been better if a DJ did it. I made my own JE best of, which was just their singles and unreleased songs. And I used the full 80 mins. I can't believe "Goodbye" was even on there.

Yeah, i made a JE 'greatest hits' CD about a year ago...and it's alot better than this release...ha ha. I didn't know 2Pac's "Soon As I Get Home" waz just mastered and not doctored. It just goes 2 show since it's one of my favs on the album. Thanx 4 that.

I might get Pac's Album, I checke some snippet's and it seemed nice. Dont feel some guest's tho. Snoop's Album is pretty dope, but he could have dumped some of the tracks, and it prolly would be better. Very weird (not bad) production. Akon.. Dont know about that guy. He has made some stuff that I liked.. But I dont know. He doesnt seem like a good singer in some way, he's way to hyped. In some way I dont wanna support him, even tho I like some stuff..

i thought Pac's Life was better than last album. the only sore spots were bad beats and horrible guest appearances. and while most of the beats didnt resemble beats Pac would flow over, i think over half of them are sick, so im not quite as pessimistic as AJ about Pac's Life.

Now for now I'll just give ratings but later on I'll give in depth reviews for each album, right now the hip-hop records that came recently that I heard:

Fat Joe "Me, Myself, and I"(4+/5), takes it back to the streets on this record, could be his best since "Don Cartegena", need to give it more listens, easily better than his last two records

Diddy "Press Play"(4-/5), never thought I'd say that but it's quite good, gets away from watered down pop image and gets creative for a change

Game "Doctor's Advocate" (4-/5), now that he's gotten away from 50 he's stepped up his "game" for real, great gangsta rap but could still do a lil' more commentary if he really wants to be the next Ice Cube and 2Pac

Snoop "Blue Carpet Treatment"(4/5), I haven't heard him this hungry in a long time, he's been on cruise control forever it seemed since his first two records

Jay-Z "Kingdom Come"(3.5/5), it doesn't quite stack up to what he's capable of, need to give this more listens like I said earler

R&B:

Akon "Konvicted"(4/5), cool record

Beyonce "B'Day"(3.5/5), like her boo she could do much better than this

Janet "20 YO"(4/5), not quite vintage Janet but still a great album, takes time to grow on you

Robin Thicke "Evolution Of Robin"(5/5), classic record, album of the year

Justin Timberlake "FutureSex/Love Sounds"(4/5), he got good chemistry with Timbaland, lil' overhyped though

Btw, that verse that TI did on Pac's Life was hot, the dude could spit man, don't front on him, I'm gonna download some tracks off of Pac's Life when I get a chance, I'd really just rather bump his classics then buy another doctored album, maybe I'll buy another copy of "All Eyez On Me" to show love, lol, btw man Ginuwine's last record was severly underrated, I got all of his albums, he's one of my favorite singers,

and I had no idea Tamia's album came out, I have no idea why real r&b ain't being promoted anymore, the state of r&b's much worse than the state of rap, I really don't hear that much soul jams on the radio anymore

Edited by bigted

Fat Joe's is aight, but it's a lil short. It's not the best since DC to me, but it's still nice. I'd spend my money on it again.

I wanna get Diddy's Record. Ya'll might find this stupid, but I allways enjoyed his records. I know he aint no great Mc and all, but as a whole it allways was quality "having a good time" music.

I didnt plan to get Game's Album.. But the verse on Snoop's Album changed my mind.

I checked out JIgga's Album, but those Beats dont do it for me. Never liked those type of beats.. I'd rather take another "Can I get A **** You" or "Hard Knock Life".

Edited by Turntable

Fat Joe's is aight, but it's a lil short. It's not the best since DC to me, but it's still nice. I'd spend my money on it again.

I wanna get Diddy's Record. Ya'll might find this stupid, but I allways enjoyed his records. I know he aint no great Mc and all, but as a whole it allways was quality "having a good time" music.

I didnt plan to get Game's Album.. But the verse on Snoop's Album changed my mind.

I checked out JIgga's Album, but those Beats dont do it for me. Never liked those type of beats.. I'd rather take another "Can I get A **** You" or "Hard Knock Life".

I didn't really like Fat Joe's last couple albums much, his guest spots were better than the albums were, I enjoyed "Jealous Ones Still Envy" out of his popular records, it might be too early to compare this new one to DC but it's a strong record, yeah Diddy's an entertainer, I always respected his performance, he's like the modern Hammer, btw it'd be cool if those two had a danceoff competition, lol, he is an mc 'cause he could move a crowd, Game stepped up flow and his rhyming on this album, great beats too, very versatile record, yeah Volume 2 was the last time I really liked Jay-Z, basically since then his music is love/hate except maybe Blueprint, if you ain't a fan you probably won't like it, basically LL's last few albums been love/hate too, if you ain't a fan of his you might or might not like anything he did since "Mr. Smith" album except "GOAT", maybe that's why LL and Jigga should battle so they could give us classics again

Edited by bigted

Snoop - Tha Blue carpet treatment: 7/10

Nice beats, hungry sound and some good topics. Could be shorter to. I could easily drop 3-4 songs and make it a definite classic. "Imagine" is one of this years best songs, and that's a good achievement.

The Game - Doctors Advocate: 6,5/10

The best songs on the album are really good, but it gets too repititive and his lyrical skills can't make up for that. Some really great qoutables though, the one about his brother and the rolex in "Ol English" is true damn poetry. He can make big things with small measures, but he needs to be more diverse.

Jay-Z - Kingdom Come: 8/10

I place this as his fourth best album. And that's not considering the ones above it are Reasonable doubt, The blueprint and The Black Album. The best AND worst side of this album is that the album grows on you. At first you're like: hmm... ok. But then you listen to it and you dig more and more. It has a couple of tracks that are fantastic. Beach Chair is the best with a poetry type of lyrics and a insane beat by Dr.Dre & Chris Martin. The thing that draws this album down is three songs in the middle. It starts with "I Made It and ends with Hollywood".I made it is a mama-song but doesn't really get to you. Anything is a club track that most likely will blow up the charts when it drops and is the single that's gonna keep the album selling next year to. But as a song it's really weak with boring clublyrics and a re-used beat. Hollywood has a good beat, but it doesn't fell well put together.

But the albums has it's lyrics as it's strong point. it starts with Jay saying "you lyrics didn't, your gangsta looks did it". In between he has Lost One which is a lyrical orgy in incredible rhymeschemes and thoughful rhymes and it ends with Beach Chair.

Kingdome Come - 3/5

Good...Could have been better.

Blue Carpet Treatment - 3.5/5

Snoop's best album in while!

Doctors Advocate 2.5/5

Loved like a couple of tracks...the rest was kinda the same thing over and over again...anyone else like the documentary more?

Diddy - 2.5/5

Same experience as Game's.

There have been far greater albums this year tho'.such as :

Kenstarr - Starr Status - 4.5/5

Lupe Fiasco - Food and liqour - 5/5

Hi-Tek - Hi-Teknology 2 -3.5/5

Method Man - 4:21 - 4/5

Nas - Hiphop is Dead: 9/10

It's just wonderful. I'll come back with a complete review. But in short: The bad things are that a couple of tracks are repetitive even though it's about nice and cool topics. The best song is Let there be light produced by Kanye. Could be his best beat, but Nas and the singer really flip it nice on it. It's a dark album, but this song is a positive song, so u'll love it. It's this years best album without a doubt. Has 4-5 10 out 10's on it. Really strong tracks.