JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Top 10 Soundscan Album Sales - 11/29/06

TopDawg14

184 ICE CUBE LAUGH NOW CRY LATER 8063 116 3732 491942 - gold watch

I think this album already shipped gold and he got his plaque already but it's great to know that there's still word of mouth for this, out of all the great albums I heard this year I think this is the best one, I said it's the best since "Lost and Found" and I still feel that way, the true comeback of the year, LL needs to have an aggressive album like this next year, I re-bought Ice Cube's album recently on ebay to get the DVD, it's incredible, must have for all fans of real hip-hop

Edited by bigted

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

World Wide he did.. LL also went Platinum with Todd Smith, if you look at how much it sold world wide..

Lol, LL's streak of platinum albums is still alive, 12 in a row!!! He basically did it on his own 'cause he toured basically most of the year, the hard work pays off, and to think that he's working on a new show, new movies, new book, clothing line, another album and a battle with Jay-Z, he's the hardest working man in show buisiness right now :2thumbs: :1-say-yes:

Edited by bigted

Congrats to Jay on the album and Kingdom Come is way, way better than Game's album. I listened to Game last Friday and it didn't do anything for me.

The interesting question is whether Jay's album will have strong legs like Justin's or his girlfriend's album. Those two albums have hovered in the top 15 since September. I think it will be strong enough for it get close to 2X platinum if it remains in the top 10 for the next 2-3 weeks.

is it only me that thinks that snoops album should have sold better?

I think its a great album with cool beats and pretty decent rhymes.

Yeah this is his best album in longgg time, really deserves to be topping the charts, best gangsta rap album since Ice Cube's, I like Game's though too, it's cool but the way I see it the veterans reign still:

Ice Cube>>>Snoop>>>Game

Congrats to Jay on the album and Kingdom Come is way, way better than Game's album. I listened to Game last Friday and it didn't do anything for me.

The interesting question is whether Jay's album will have strong legs like Justin's or his girlfriend's album. Those two albums have hovered in the top 15 since September. I think it will be strong enough for it get close to 2X platinum if it remains in the top 10 for the next 2-3 weeks.

All of those albums are overhyped, I like Janet's album better than Beyonce's, Robin Thicke's better than Justin's, and a ****load of rap albums better than Jay-Z', I'm a big LL fan and I wouldn't put his in the top 10 rap albums of the year either, it's just that the game's so strong more than anything, great time to be a rap fan again

Edited by bigted

Robin Thicke's got a great album.. But Justin's album rocks.. Timbaland made a new sound there.. It's one of the best albums of the year... It look likes, no offence ted, but you like those who's not a hit.. Beyonce's album is a hit, while janets is a flop( i dont call it flop but yeah).. Justin's a hit, Thicke flopped big time.. Jay-Z got a good album.. better then most of the "real hip-hop" as you guys calls it.. But yeah it's a top 10 record of this year.. T.I too.. LL's album wasnt that great at all.. top 20 maybe..

Peace

Justin's album is cool but it ain't the only good album out there, I like some popular stuff, I wouldn't listen to LL or FP if I didn't like popular stuff, really I think more parody in the music industry is necessary, when one album's selling millions and another great album sells nothing man that sucks, btw allhiphop.com gave Jay-Z' album 3 1/2 stars just like LL's album, they gave Snoop 4 stars, and Game's 4 stars, so it ain't like I'm the only one feeling that Jay-Z' is overhyped, barely above average like LL's album but not great, both could do better, a battle is what they need to motivate themselves it seems, really Jay-Z' album sales will dip fast since it ain't critically aclaimed, too many strong rap albums out, I don't see it having much legs

Edited by bigted

"I never died in the car I bought

So I'm under the belief it's partly my fault

Close my eyes and squeeze, try to block that thought

Place any burden on me, but please, not that lord

Time don't go back, it go forward

Can't run from the pain, go towards it

Some things can't be explained, what caused it?

Such a beautiful soul, so pure, ****

Gonna see you again, I'm sure of it

Til that time, little man I'm nauseous

Your girlfriend's pregnant, the lord's gift

Almost lost my faith, that restored it

It's like having your life restarted

Can't wait for your child's life, to be a part of it

So now I'm child-like, waiting for a gift

To return, when I lost you, I lost it"

"Nigga's beats is bangin, nigga your hooks did it

Your lyrics did and your gangster look did it

So I would write it if y'all could get it

Bein intricate'll get you wood, critic

On the internet, they like you should spit it

I'm like you should buy it, nigga that's good business

Hehe, forget this rap **** I need a new hustle

A little bit of everything, the new improved Russell

I say that reluctantly cause I do struggle

As you see I can't leave so I do love you

But I'm just a hustler disguised as a rapper

In fact you can't fit this hustle inside of a wrapper"

"I'm from the era where niggaz don't snitch

You from the era where snitchin' is the ****

I'm afraid of the future (why?)

Y'all respect the one who got shot, I respect the shooter"

"I got deamons in my past

So i got daughters on the way

If the prophecy's correct

Then the child should have to pay

For the since of a father

So i barter my tommorows

Against my yesterdays

In hopes that she'll be OK

And when im no longere here

The shade of face from the flare

I'll give her my share of Carol's Daughter

and a shiny new beach chair"

Pure goddamn genius.

Ted//

You have no ground for you statements. Your making sh*t up and acting like it's the truth. Is it a bad thing Jay let people on the label drop ther **** as they wanted? You can't promote something that isn't promotable. If the media and the fans ain't checkin for it, than it doesn't matter how much you promote it, it'll just be a waste of money. Just like Diddys last album.

Do you really, really, really think with the state of the industry right now that Method Man without a good single would go plat? Are you for real?

I've already went thru this in other threads about promotion and so. Def Jam is prolly bleeding financially cause of the promotion and money spent on rappers dropping non-mainstream singles or bad songs. But they have done so cause Jay has as a policy to not interfere to much in the musicmaking (read up about it in interviews from last year). You have to have people like Jeezy that sell alot so that you can compensate for the nonselling albums.

You living in a dreamworld man?

I didn't say Jay is the only rapper out there. I love Jay, Kanye, Lupe, Nas, LL, FP, Luda, Dre and more. But even comparing Joes catalogue with Jays is pure ignorance and hate.

Method Man's album could sell if more people knew about it, good music could still sell, he went platinum before on Def Jam, he has a fanbase, a lot of them probably been looking for another one of his albums but they don't know it's out there, Russell Simmons proved it in the 80s/90s that classic albums and music could be recognised, LL Cool J's upset over Def Jam 'cause he sees it ain't the same anymore, maybe instead of complaining he should start his own label and just leave there, maybe he should stop worrying about whether people think he's soft for making positive songs and just do his thing, don't worry about Jay-Z, LL album's just barely above average too, I just let my bias opinion get in the way sometimes, he needs to work on his lyrics a lil' bit, he's not the top lyricist in the game at the moment, really the criticism will always be there for doing positive music since some ignorant mother****ers wanna hear gang bang **** all day, he just don't need to stoop to 50's level just 'cause of some critics are calling him out again, although I wouldn't mind a "GOAT"/Get Rich Or Die Tryin', aggressive **** for all the rap heads but LL's not at that point in his career, he's more mature, it's a wonder why he's going back in his life, he should be moving forward, maybe he's the one going through a midlife crisis, he needs to move beyond that and do music on a higher level that he talked about, maybe a gospel rap album with powerful songs like "Power Of God", "Big Mama", "We're Gonna Make It" and "Father" would be kinda cool and better than another "GOAT" where he's just putting others down and talking how great he is, maybe he could cut down on the sex songs a lil' bit, there are a lot of people going through troubles in life and if he could do an album that could lift the spirits it'd be much better than bashing critics, that gets tired, I really always feel motivated by his songs like "Crossroads" than "I Shot Ya", I really like writing a lot of stuff like that too, I try not to be a gangsta, just write about life stuff, that's what I really dig mcs like LL and FP for, the fun songs are cool but "The Rain" and "I Can't Think" are just more relatable, maybe he might need a break, he has a lot on his plate, another album ain't necessary at the moment...

btw Jay-Z' album does have a few nice lyrics in it but it's nothing amazing like what he's capable of, come on admit it and the fact is that a lot of rappers stepped their game up this year to higher than they been, I had no idea Ice Cube could come back as strong as he did, it is nice though he does have some mature subject matter, now maybe if he worked on more consistantly strong verses his next album will equal Ice Cube's, btw I don't hate on stuff 'cause it's popular, I liked Fat Joe's "Jealous Ones Still Envy" album even though it sold a lot, Fat Joe flowed well on there, I don't care if artists do some pop songs, as long as it's good music, Game's 1st album took some time to grow on me, really I just downloaded it in the beginning and I only liked like 2 or 3 songs but when I finally decided to pick up the album and listen to it I realised it was better than what I originally thought, I think this album's an upgrade from the last but he might want to cut down on the name dropping and maybe add a lil' more substance, do some street commentary like Ice Cube if he wants to put out a gangsta rap classic, he definately is on the right path...

Maybe I'll gradually be opening up a bit more on Jay-Z' album too, honestly 'cause he's so hyped, I only downloaded it and listen to it a few times 'cause I really lost respect for how he's using his ego for his benefit but maybe I should look beyond that too and pick up his album for a cheaper cost and give it some listens and it might grow on me like Game's first album, basically I'm just venting since it's quite upsetting what's being done at Def Jam the way it used to be but maybe I need to accept that it ain't gonna be what it used to be, the golden era's over, I should just enjoy what's there... Now out of Jay-Z popular albums I like "Volume 2" the best, "Black Album" had some cool songs too, "Blueprint" was a great production with some nice lyrics, but really I don't feel Jay-Z that much as a lot of people do, I like Fat Joe better, he should get more credit than he gets, he could rhyme well, flow well, good performer, he's a dope mc, he went back to the more aggressive songs here on his new record, no pop ****, just boom bap hip-hop on "Me, Myself, and I", it's a great record 4+/5(if you like this album, listen to KRS' "Life", that's also another boom bap hip-hop record, just straight up hip-hop, KRS/Fat Joe should collab again), Jay-Z' probably 3.5/5 like LL's record(it ain't garbage but it ain't a classic, probably be above average after it grows for me and basically if you ain't an LL fan you probably wouldn't like his album that much unless you'd let it grow on you too, really basically since LL battled Canibis and Jay-Z battled Nas they haven't been as strong lyrically, maybe they do need to battle each other to see them back on top lyrically again), Puffy's album 4-/5(I never imagine myself saying this but it seems that Puffy finally learned how to put out a respectable rap album, it just shows you how people were so turned off from his pop image that they won't even give it a listen), Busta 4/5, DMX 4/5, Game 4-/5, Snoop 4/5, Ice Cube 4.5/5, Lupe 4.5/5, Luda 4/5(same as Puffy), Rhymefest 4+/5, Outkast 4.5-/5(the creative vision behind this record was incredible, fits well with the movie, I do like this much better than Speakerboxx/Love Below), is the way I view it with some of the records coming out this year, btw I had no idea that Tamia had another album out, I love her, she got such a great voice

Edited by bigted

Def Jam sold alot in the 80/90s because hiphop was fresh. Everybody wanted to know about, it was new and cool. Damn.. everybody went plat those days.

You can compare our time know with rock in the late 90:s. Ain't nobody buying it unless it's someone huge dropping. Cause people are sick of it. You have to really stand out or be one of the big ones to sell alot of records.

And the point is that so called hip-hop heads complain when rappers do pop records 'cause there's no substance in it but when they do a strong record it just doesn't sell as much as the pop records, it's like you have to sacrifice record sales when you do so called "real hip-hop", you could see that with Puffy, Luda, and Fat Joe, even FP's album last year, they gave us "real hip-hop" records but they ain't gonna do the numbers they did on their "pop" records, and with LL it's like he does a mature record last album but people call him soft and not aggressive for the streets, now if he does a street album with 50 Cent he'll be made fun of as the 40 year old trying to act like a gangsta, it's like what the hell do people want? Really though this why the rap game is suffering 'cause people don't know what they want anymore and the artists don't know what way to go to please them, it ain't like before where you could put out a strong record and sell a lot, I guess me and LL are living too much in the past, time has changed....

Edited by bigted

I completly agree

http://community.allhiphop.com/showthread.php?t=327528

Check out that thread for some good opinions talking about Kingdom Come and it's grown up sound.