JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Album Cover For LL's "Todd Smith 2: Return To Cool" Album

bigted

This isn't LL's first album with a PA sticker though and basically everybody except FP and Kel Spencer releases albums with PA stickers on them, even so called "positive" rappers like Common and Lupe have PA stickers on their albums so who really cares if LL's album has a PA sticker, if it's gonna make him a lil' bit more aggressive on this album then so be it, that way it'll shut up some of these ignorant rap fans that say LL got soft on his last few albums, this needs to be an aggressive album like his "G.O.A.T." record was, a lot of critics and fans have been criticising LL lately, his last album was the lowest selling album of his career, all of his albums went platinum except this one so really LL's feeling the pressure now, this should put him on his toes a lil' bit more, he could do a "Mama Said Knock You Out" and "14 Shots..." album where he doesn't cuss but it's still aggressive of course, there was some people on the "G.O.A.T." album that didn't deserve to be there like Amil and Jayo Felony but it didn't ruin the album 'cause LL was too strong to let that happen, the main thing is that LL spits some hard rhymes on this album.... If DMX and Snoop was on LL's album and cursed a lot like on the GOAT album I'm sure you wouldn't care right but since it's G-Unit you consider it blasphamy or something? Regardless of who's on it or not, he needs to come correct and shock mcs again, I wouldn't mind if he gets FP on there too even and if 50's rapping in between the song I'll just mute his verse if it sucks, lol LL was a lil' bit too relaxed on his last few so I don't care if he curses to get that emotion out, the last few albums had some dope songs but he was a bit too relaxed, it's time that he burns some mcs again, hopefully he comes with some really strong verses that make G-Unit look like preschoolers and have to step their game up to be on the track with him, btw that cover is wack, it's the same as the back of "Todd Smith", they should at least do a new album cover, he should maybe keep his shirt on too, really he gotta slow down that ladies loving image for one album and do something more aggressive, maybe if 50 steps up his game to how he was rapping on those mixtapes before Eminem signed him then he'll actually be tolerable, Eminem needs to step his game up too to rap with the GOAT.... And well it says on that site he's going to Columbia after he leaves Def Jam so I don't know if it's gonna really be better for him doing that...

I know he use to rap with PA's. I've got them, but he said he was done with that. You mention Kel Spencer, but Kel Spencer can spit some of the hardest verses without one curse. Yes, the G-Unit camp really is THAT bad to me. I hate the idea of giving them any money for their wack elementary school rhymes. I love the fact that there will be songs (but just 2) with Kool G Rap, Big Daddy Kane, and 3000- and I'll prove that with a couple iTunes downloads.

I'm not afraid of change. What I don't like is great rappers like LL playing with crap rappers like 50 Cent just to ball higher on the sales charts. Unless of course LL really thinks 50 displays some worthy skills... God help us all.

God Blessa!

Heavy D and Rakim also come to mind with mcs making great rhymes without having a PA sticker, it ain't necessary to curse to be a great mc, it's really about skills, now listen to one of 50's early mixtapes and tell me that he don't have skills, maybe not on Rakim level but really few do have that ability, 50 could be good at times, I don't even know if I'd put Kel on Rakim's level respectfully speaking...

I only named Kel because you did. Lyrically, I'd probably put Rakim above everyone mentioned in this thread.

I've heard some of 50's early stuff and I'm still not seeing what makes him so great. Even his cancelled album stuff (just check the video, he's got like 40 idiots in the background looking like idiots for the camera).

God Blessa!

I mentioned Kel 'cause I was talking currently how him and FP are the only ones currently that rap without PA since basically rappers like Rakim and Heavy D haven't released an album in this millenium yet, and well you might be dissapointed about LL working with G-Unit but Rakim's working on his next album with Dipset so he'll probably have a PA sticker on his next album too, and now with G-Unit, they were highly respected underground rap crew for years, some of the most credible mcs wanted to work with them, it ain't just now 'cause they're selling millions that people wanna work with them

Edited by bigted

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't LL's first album with a PA sticker though and basically everybody except FP and Kel Spencer releases albums with PA stickers on them, even so called "positive" rappers like Common and Lupe have PA stickers on their albums so who really cares if LL's album has a PA sticker, if it's gonna make him a lil' bit more aggressive on this album then so be it, that way it'll shut up some of these ignorant rap fans that say LL got soft on his last few albums, this needs to be an aggressive album like his "G.O.A.T." record was, a lot of critics and fans have been criticising LL lately, his last album was the lowest selling album of his career, all of his albums went platinum except this one so really LL's feeling the pressure now, this should put him on his toes a lil' bit more, he could do a "Mama Said Knock You Out" and "14 Shots..." album where he doesn't cuss but it's still aggressive of course, there was some people on the "G.O.A.T." album that didn't deserve to be there like Amil and Jayo Felony but it didn't ruin the album 'cause LL was too strong to let that happen, the main thing is that LL spits some hard rhymes on this album.... If DMX and Snoop was on LL's album and cursed a lot like on the GOAT album I'm sure you wouldn't care right but since it's G-Unit you consider it blasphamy or something? Regardless of who's on it or not, he needs to come correct and shock mcs again, I wouldn't mind if he gets FP on there too even and if 50's rapping in between the song I'll just mute his verse if it sucks, lol LL was a lil' bit too relaxed on his last few so I don't care if he curses to get that emotion out, the last few albums had some dope songs but he was a bit too relaxed, it's time that he burns some mcs again, hopefully he comes with some really strong verses that make G-Unit look like preschoolers and have to step their game up to be on the track with him, btw that cover is wack, it's the same as the back of "Todd Smith", they should at least do a new album cover, he should maybe keep his shirt on too, really he gotta slow down that ladies loving image for one album and do something more aggressive, maybe if 50 steps up his game to how he was rapping on those mixtapes before Eminem signed him then he'll actually be tolerable, Eminem needs to step his game up too to rap with the GOAT.... And well it says on that site he's going to Columbia after he leaves Def Jam so I don't know if it's gonna really be better for him doing that...

I know he use to rap with PA's. I've got them, but he said he was done with that. You mention Kel Spencer, but Kel Spencer can spit some of the hardest verses without one curse. Yes, the G-Unit camp really is THAT bad to me. I hate the idea of giving them any money for their wack elementary school rhymes. I love the fact that there will be songs (but just 2) with Kool G Rap, Big Daddy Kane, and 3000- and I'll prove that with a couple iTunes downloads.

I'm not afraid of change. What I don't like is great rappers like LL playing with crap rappers like 50 Cent just to ball higher on the sales charts. Unless of course LL really thinks 50 displays some worthy skills... God help us all.

God Blessa!

Heavy D and Rakim also come to mind with mcs making great rhymes without having a PA sticker, it ain't necessary to curse to be a great mc, it's really about skills, now listen to one of 50's early mixtapes and tell me that he don't have skills, maybe not on Rakim level but really few do have that ability, 50 could be good at times, I don't even know if I'd put Kel on Rakim's level respectfully speaking...

I only named Kel because you did. Lyrically, I'd probably put Rakim above everyone mentioned in this thread.

I've heard some of 50's early stuff and I'm still not seeing what makes him so great. Even his cancelled album stuff (just check the video, he's got like 40 idiots in the background looking like idiots for the camera).

God Blessa!

I mentioned Kel 'cause I was talking currently how him and FP are the only ones currently that rap without PA since basically rappers like Rakim and Heavy D haven't released an album in this millenium yet, and well you might be dissapointed about LL working with G-Unit but Rakim's working on his next album with Dipset so he'll probably have a PA sticker on his next album too, and now with G-Unit, they were highly respected underground rap crew for years, some of the most credible mcs wanted to work with them, it ain't just now 'cause they're selling millions that people wanna work with them

Rakim has had a PA before.

"now with G-Unit, they were highly respected underground rap crew for years, some of the most credible mcs wanted to work with them, it ain't just now 'cause they're selling millions that people wanna work with them"

I'm not gonna play like I know the history of G-Unit, but I know that, in my eyes, the G-Unit of today is a growing group of crap. The songs that come out are a mishmash recycling of their old songs, that incidently, don't have any real substance to them.

God Blessa!

Edited by Silver Tiger

LL and Rakim never criticised other rappers for cursing in their rhymes the way that FP does so I don't really see nothing wrong with them doing albums with a PA sticker but with FP it'd be a totally different story if he did an album with PA he'd receive a hell lot of criticism, LL did say in an interview when he released "Todd Smith" that at the moment he wasn't in the mood to curse in his rhymes but if that moment comes one day where he's in that mood then he will, the music reflects the type of mood that he's in, maybe if he's relaxed he won't curse but maybe he has stuff to get off his chest so he might be in the mood to curse now, cursing or not, through 12 albums I don't really think of any more consistant mc, probably only KRS-ONE would come to mind, Rakim hasn't done **** that was dope in quite a while now, LL and KRS could still bring it though, 50 and G-Unit do make some songs with substance, it ain't 50's fault they only played his dumbed down records, but songs like "Many Men" and "Hate Or Love It" had substance, that's like saying all Will's raps are like "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" and "Switch", the most substance records don't play on the radio though, now I'm not saying they're even close to being the greatest but they ain't really the worst rappers either, some people talk like all popular rappers are garbage but they had to work just as hard as any credible underground rapper did to get into the game, really the worst rappers are the ones who never get signed, if you wanna hear a real garbage rap just listen to some internet thugs posting on myspace that make 50 Cent sound like Rakim I swear to God, lol....

I'm not even getting on LL for the PA. I just mentioned it.

And "Many Men"? Geez... what is so great about Many Men? The hook? Cause I really hope you're not talking about those lyrics. Before 50 blew up I'd look at Ja Rule as the point of rap hitting its lowest. Then 50 got big and screwed with logic by starting beef with him. People started to hate Ja Rule because 50 hated him and not because his raps were weak.

"really the worst rappers are the ones who never get signed, if you wanna hear a real garbage rap just listen to some internet thugs posting on myspace that make 50 Cent sound like Rakim I swear to God, lol...."

Those kids that sing the Vans song sound just like the myspace kids, they got signed. I could care little less about how much work crappy rappers did to be able to put out no-flow, thoughtless songs today. I respect work ethic, but I don't have to respect the work.

God Blessa!

Edited by Silver Tiger

I'm not even getting on LL for the PA. I just mentioned it.

And "Many Men"? Geez... what is so great about Many Men? The hook? Cause I really hope you're not talking about those lyrics. Before 50 blew up I'd look at Ja Rule as the point of rap hitting its lowest. Then 50 got big and screwed with logic by starting beef with him. People started to hate Ja Rule because 50 hated him and not because his raps were weak.

"really the worst rappers are the ones who never get signed, if you wanna hear a real garbage rap just listen to some internet thugs posting on myspace that make 50 Cent sound like Rakim I swear to God, lol...."

Those kids that sing the Vans song sound just like the myspace kids, they got signed. I could care little less about how much work crappy rappers did to be able to put out no-flow, thoughtless songs today. I respect work ethic, but I don't have to respect the work.

God Blessa!

I don't really respect G-Unit that much either but if they put out a hot album I'm not gonna front on it just 'cause they're mainstream like most underground fans do, that's what I'm saying, they hate on an artist just when they become popular, and now just 'cause 50's last album was weak doesn't mean that his whole career is garbage, that's like saying Will's career is garbage in 2002 when he released "Born To Reign", Rakim's career is garbage 'cause of his last album, or LL's career is garbage 'cause of his recent music, everybody has their ups and downs, you can't be perfect everytime out, 50's not really much to brag about either way though, he ain't really that great but he ain't the worst either, 50 does receive a bit more criticism now though and deserving so now since he criticised Ja Rule for doing love songs when he then turned out to do the same thing, LL never criticised other rappers for being soft so he never deserves to be dissed for doing love songs, he just has fun with the music really

Well there's no hate because he's a popular rapper. I would have had to ditch Will a thousand times over in 97.

"now just 'cause 50's last album was weak doesn't mean that his whole career is garbage"

I never said that. I said that what I see today is crap. The way I see it is the music he's released over the last few years have not been worth a damn, whether or not it was on his album.

LL can do whatever he wants but it will affect my purchase decisions. Instead of spending $10 I'll be spending $3 or $4.

God Blessa!

Edited by Silver Tiger

I don't care if an artist is underground or mainstream, music is music, some's good and some's bad, now I try to focus more on the good than the bad though, I rather talk about who's the best than who's the worst, like I don't really give a damn about who's the worst, don't wanna know really, lol, and now if you only like LL 'cause of the artists that he works with then you ain't a fan, as long as LL don't come out sounding like a studio gangsta, I'm gonna support him, he's been about quality for 20+ years, I don't think that's gonna change now, he don't need anybody to sell records, he's one of the most popular rappers of all time already, he's one of the original ballers of this rap game, rappers ask to work with him since he's one of the most respected, 50 and G-Unit are fans of his, they want to work with him, 50 said he probably won't be able to make it as far as LL, he knows what's up, all of LL's albums are platinum except his last one but nobody buys records as much as they used to, gold is the new platinum now really

I don't care if an artist is underground or mainstream, music is music, some's good and some's bad, now I try to focus more on the good than the bad though, I rather talk about who's the best than who's the worst, like I don't really give a damn about who's the worst, don't wanna know really, lol, and now if you only like LL 'cause of the artists that he works with then you ain't a fan, as long as LL don't come out sounding like a studio gangsta, I'm gonna support him, he's been about quality for 20+ years, I don't think that's gonna change now, he don't need anybody to sell records, he's one of the most popular rappers of all time already, he's one of the original ballers of this rap game, rappers ask to work with him since he's one of the most respected, 50 and G-Unit are fans of his, they want to work with him, 50 said he probably won't be able to make it as far as LL, he knows what's up, all of LL's albums are platinum except his last one but nobody buys records as much as they used to, gold is the new platinum now really

Now you're putting words in my mouth. I never said nothing about choosing to support underground over mainstream, nor did I mention the topic. I also said nothing about supporting him. No, I don't have to support the album. It's my dollar and I'll vote with it. As of now I vote TS v.1 over TS v.2. I'm sure it'll have some dope songs but there's enough on there to flash warning lights for someone who doesn't have a lot to spend on CDs.

LL is still a dope rapper in my eyes but a lot of the people he's working with will water down the songs for me. Come on, you'll mute the song when a bad verse hits the speaker? No you won't. Fine get me the a capellas and I'll make a good song out of the LL verses.

God Blessa!

Well, all I can say is that I am looking forward to this album, the track with Andre 3000, Big Daddy Kane, Dr. Dre is one that I am really excited about. I think LL's last album had too much of an R&B feel to it, so maybe changing up his style will be good for him.

Yeah I think this album's gonna be an improvement from really the last few albums, LL seemed too relaxed, he needs to be more aggressive here, as long as LL delivers the classic album that I know he's still capable of then it won't really matter who else is on it

Looks like LL needs more money.

btw, its not only the music that G-Unit does, its the way they represent themselves in the media that makes me mad about them.

And how can you say that they have quality music? 2 good songs and 10 album fillers? yeah right, i guess i know what you mean...

I'm also looking forward for that album, and i'm pretty sure that this is going to be more than just gold but that collab with G-Unit was really unnecessary.

Well, lets wait and see

Looks like LL needs more money.

Yeah and that's why Will signs up to do 5 films instead of doing albums with Jazzy 'cause he needs more money too

Get over it people.. Do you know 50 cent or rest of the G-unit? Maybe LL likes 50.. Maybe he like's 50's music.. What do you guys have to do with it? It's his choice.. so bitching about him working with this or that wont stop him working with them.. You guys are using your energy the wrong way.. I'll wait for the album to drop before I judge it..

Peace.