JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

IF Will quits music, would you contintue to support him in other areas?

MissAshley

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Doubt, I'll support FP regardless but like most members have said i'm always goona be a fan of his music more but it dosen't mean i'm not going to any of his movies anymore... he's my favorite entertainer period but if Lost And Found is his last album it's a hell of an album to go out on.

To be honest if i look back over Lost & Found, that really does some up what a final album would be.

Addressing the people that hate on him, Talk about the state of the industry, Talk about his skills, A shout out to the fans. It had it all.

So IF (and i'm sick of saying that cos it is an IF people) it was his last album then he's gone out on a very big high.

Lets try and end this talk now, i know tis hard but we'll be waiting ages before we hear anything else from his mouth on this probably, so lets just wait and see.

As for following him if his career in music was over. I would. His movies are generally good, especially the last few so why not.

Yeah this is a nice post - I agree!

But I want more music of him tho'! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I was one of his TV fans before i found out about his music and movies. it was back in about 96 i think that i had been watching fresh prince for some years and went to the cinema to se ID4. remember me and my friends, all kids back then, was like: hey! wait a minute, i know that guy. thats fresh prince!. And then BWS came out, my all time favourite Will album and i was hooked. before willennium dropped i had seen pretty much all his movies and heard all his music, exept for and in this corner which was a bit hard to find here at that time.

since then my interest in Will has gone up and down like a wave. i think he's made both some great as well as terrible choises regarding both his music and acting. but in the end i've always ended up as a faithful fan.

No music he will ever make can come close to BWS in my oppinion. Im not saying its his best musical work of art, but its the album that means the most to me. but like Will says on the music vid collection: you can never get to much will smith :).

that statement isn't true about his acting. some people here thinks Will is not to good an actor, but have you seen six degrees? just a kid with no acting experience and he pulled that off. he can do anything if he just really tries, and if he stops acting like "im here, see my name on the poster? thats all i have to do for this movie to make us millions of dollars". yes thats the feeling i get from him sometimes. i say make more serious roles, like six degrees, ali and hopefully happyness. even enemy of the state. But movies like I,robot? he should do academy award and "serious action" (read enemy kinda movies) and then every 5 year or so a BB or MIB movie to connect his current career with his past and to accnowledge the long time fans.

I think lost and found was perfect as making the groundwork for a new/last album. saying this is wrong and im not going to do your thing just to be famous or make money. and then release a new/last album saying this is what i do.

if he would release a last album theres two ways for him to go:

1. an album packed with guest stars who , by all beeing there, makes the statement that Will is a huge part of todays music industrys creation. and that they accnowledge the end of his 20 years in the biz and that they wont ruin it all.

2. the best ever: a JJFP album. doing every track togheter and bringing back ready rock and charlie mac and the 2 damn hype crew. inviting all the old fans to the party of a lifetime on the album. Just mad party tracks, full of energy, saying THIS is what we do. and maybe do summertime and tell me why saying THIS is the mark we want to leave in the music history.

so... IF this is it for him in music, Ill always feel a real end is missing. As for movies, Ill support him for alot of years to come, but if he keeps making pretty much the same role in every movie he's in, Ill probably get a little tired of it.

to sum it up, whatever happens, you will see me gettin jiggy wit it for the rest of my life even if i might not support every single thing he makes, Ill pretty much stay the same:)

hows that for a long post?

You know, the thing is that i support Will for his music and personality (which is reflected in his music), but as an actor he doesn't need to be backed up.

I really like his movies, buts its not about him and to be honest there are a lot of actors who are way better than him. I will always respect him for what he did, but support him? how? I only could go out and buy his movies in case they're good.

Music is somethin on an more emotional and personal base whereas movies just entertainment.

It'd be a shame too if his music fans don't support his movies but there are a lot more of his movie fans who never gave a damn to listen to any of his albums which is an even bigger shame, Will's an all around good guy and a great role model, he's a champion in life, I support him all the way, it's hard to find people in society in general as genuine as him, he's the truth for real

hey guys, lets define what support means. my understanding of that word is, that you always back up his reputation when somebody's trying to talk bullsh!t about Will and that you inform people about him and the real deal of JJFP. Money shouldn't be the problem with movies, so it actually doesn't matter if you see or buy his movies, he'll get his 20mill for sure.

Album sales and promoting tracks is a whole different problem to deal with.

hey guys, lets define what support means. my understanding of that word is, that you always back up his reputation when somebody's trying to talk bullsh!t about Will and that you inform people about him and the real deal of JJFP. Money shouldn't be the problem with movies, so it actually doesn't matter if you see or buy his movies, he'll get his 20mill for sure.

Album sales and promoting tracks is a whole different problem to deal with.

Well the question isn't whether you'd still support JJFP... it was whether you'd support Will Smith... that entails keeping up with what he's doing, whether it be movies or production... charity work or what have you.

This has absolutely nothing... I can't stress this enough... This has absolutely nothing to do with money. It's about staying interested in his career. Are people going to tune into Oprah when will is on and isn't talking about music. Are you going to take the time to listen to interviews when you know it will have nothing to do with music. Basically, are you going to remain a fan of Will Smith as an entertainer in whatever capacity he remains and entertainer.

It'd be a shame too if his music fans don't support his movies but there are a lot more of his movie fans who never gave a damn to listen to any of his albums which is an even bigger shame, Will's an all around good guy and a great role model, he's a champion in life, I support him all the way, it's hard to find people in society in general as genuine as him, he's the truth for real

Most of the people who supported Will for films but not for his music either aren't genuine hip hop fans, have been brainwashed by the industry and don't know what good hip hop is, don't like hip hop whatsoever, or aren't really aware that Will does music and was a rapper before he became an actor. However, everyone who knows about his music will eventually know about his movies. It's just a matter of whether you like his movies or not...

If will put more effort into promoteing his music himself,It would sell...

Most of the people who supported Will for films but not for his music either aren't genuine hip hop fans, have been brainwashed by the industry and don't know what good hip hop is, don't like hip hop whatsoever, or aren't really aware that Will does music and was a rapper before he became an actor. However, everyone who knows about his music will eventually know about his movies. It's just a matter of whether you like his movies or not...

Edited by bigted

Well some of us might not like to watch movies as much as listening to music either so we might not be hyped to see his films, just like some of his movie fans don't like hip-hop, that don't mean we hate on him, if we don't want to see his films as much as listen to his albums then that's our choice, you don't have to buy every album/watch every film to respect Will Smith as an artist/father/person either, don't get it twisted now, even if there's some people that only felt one song he did on the radio even if they never bought his albums or one movie he did in his career that they might've seen on TV then he still did something right to touch that person or even just feeling a quote he might've said in an interview and they apply to their lives, the impact goes beyond numbers and sales, it's just like you don't have to buy every hip-hop album ever recorded to be a lover of the culture of hip-hop, and another thing as long as Will wants to make music he'll have people go out and buy his records 'cause he makes real life music, a lot of people who don't like hip-hop like his songs, you can't just sell 30 million records worldwide and not reach a lot of different people, even my parents like some of his songs they see me playing so much even though they ain't hip-hop heads 'cause he makes songs about life in general, anybody from 1-100 years old, any race, etc. could relate to his music, and even if he drops dead right now god firbid of course, there's still gonna be people bumpin' his music, he's a timeless artist

It's one thing to respect someone as an artist/person... Don't get it twisted... this thread isn't about whether people will still respect Will. It's about whether people will support him in his other endeavors. Not everyone who respects you actively supports you, and that active support is exactly what this thread is about.

Will people still go out to see his movies? Will they continue to follow his career? Will they continue to read acrticles about him that they know aren't related to music? Will they tune into Oprah when they know that he's promoting another movie or charity and he isn't going to be talking about music? Will they tune into Leno and Letterman knowing that he isn't going to be talking about music? There's active support and then there's mere respect. People who respect him will say nice things about him, will listen to his previous albums, may watch him on television if he happens to be on. People who actively support him will do all those things and more. They'll go out of their way to keep up with what he's doing. That's the real question. Is Will going to continue to garner that active support?

If will put more effort into promoteing his music himself,It would sell...

It's not that easy. We had a long running discussion about this when Lost and Found came out, and while most of us agreed that Will could have done more, almost everyone agreed that Interscope was the real problem and the state of the industry was likely secondary, with people not being able to recognize real music even if it drop kicked them and took their Christmas money.

Edited by MaxFly