JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Bill Cosby Won't Let Rapper Call Himself Fat Al

bigted

Bill Cosby Won't Let Rapper Call Himself Fat Al

Tuesday November 14, 2006 @ 07:00 PM

By: ChartAttack.com Staff

Al Fatz

Bill Cosby reached an out of court settlement with a Canadian woman last week over a lawsuit where she alleged that the entertainer drugged and sexually assaulted her, but there was no settling with teenage rapper Fat Al.

Cosby's legal team claimed that the artist's name was too close to Fat Albert, the cartoon character created by the man who played Cliff Huxtable on one of the most popular television shows of the '80s, and wouldn't let him use it.

"I guess he doesn't like rappers," the young man born Aljaray Gaston told Reuters. "I'm just trying to come up and Bill Cosby was hating. I know one thing, I won't be buying any more Jell-O pudding."

Gaston and Atlantic Records have decided to go with the performing name Al Fatz for his label debut that he's currently working on. Akon and Lil Wayne are contributing to the project.

The 19-year-old hip-hopper from Cleveland, Ohio also has a song on the Madden 2007 video game soundtrack and is recording the theme for Electronic Arts' NBA Street Homecourt game. He's also recording a song for a Sprite advertising campaign featuring basketball star LeBron James.

So many rappers have these stupid uncreative names these days. On top of that, they all suck. So why would u want something u created being jacked by some fool. I side with Bill Cosby on this one.

Well Bill Cosby is strong black man with a lot of integrity, I don't blame him for not wanting a rapper that raps about degrading things to have that name, I like his comment recently criticising BET, that channel's garbage most of the time

Bill Cosby didn't "Create" The name BIG AL...HE had Fat Albert, Yea, but he doesn't own the name "BIG AL" Because of that....I mean, that's like the guys who made Good Times suing Jay Z because his name sounds too much like JJ's....lol

Edited by Vipa