JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Listen to Will Smith (Reader's Digest)

MissAshley

• Admin

I think Will views things a little too simply than what they are. Situations and circumstances are a lot more complex in my opinion.

As for his running example. What he's really talking about is discipline. Now I don't need to run and listen to my body telling me to stop because its being overworked to harness discipline. There are other ways.

On his working with Gene Hackman on Enemy of the State. I disagree that he should have slept 4 hours instead of 8. If he had slept 8 hours he would have been in a better position mentally and physically to act with Hackman. If he needed to rise to the challenge, he may have had to do more preperation before the movie, spent more hours acting, but giving your body only 4 and a half hours rest when it requires 8 is not the answer :smart:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah im the same, i agree with bits and disagree with bits. It was slightly strange i have to admit.

i thought the gate part was interesting, maybe im weird for finding it interesting lol, but in my dictionary it says a gate is "a moveable barrier, usually on hinges, used as a door in a wall or fence", a gateway is "an opening containg a gate". So Will's teacher dude is wrong! He needs to take his own advice and look it up if he doesnt know the meaning haha.

i agree that public school education is rubbish, they teach u how to pass exams not things u need to know. But kids need school as part of learning social skills, which is important in life. Nothing worse than being a brainy geek that cant talk to people.

i used to agree with the key to life thing, but i dont anymore. Hard work will help you, but luck is also involved, some things just arnt meant to happen. You could be running as hard as u can and then trip on a rock, ok ive been listening to Will's analogys too long now. we have to do a podcast, we could all talk forever.

i have a feeling most of Will's interviews for pursuit are gonna be like this, i prefer the funny Will, this is too deep.

i have a feeling most of Will's interviews for pursuit are gonna be like this, i prefer the funny Will, this is too deep.

damn we should tell Will :protest: hahah that Julie dont like this :)) j k Julie ... i dont know maybe is too deep but i dont really understand all the words so it ok to me hahh :))

Edited by fresh_from_sofia

i used to agree with the key to life thing, but i dont anymore. Hard work will help you, but luck is also involved, some things just arnt meant to happen. You could be running as hard as u can and then trip on a rock, ok ive been listening to Will's analogys too long now. we have to do a podcast, we could all talk forever.

I'm with you 100% Julie. While trying your best is admirable, circumstances in life often conspire to trip people up. It takes hard work and good fortune to really be successful in life.

Yeah, it's definitely the philosophical Will that makes the interview weird.

I'm with you 100% Julie. While trying your best is admirable, circumstances in life often conspire to trip people up. It takes hard work and good fortune to really be successful in life.

i'm finally understanding what some of you guys mean by "weird" I guess I just didn't see it before b/c i've read/watched so many of his interviews of the years that none of this really seemed out of the ordinary to me...i've actually heard him get all "philosophical" before, but I can see how the more serious Will could kinda throw people off. like you guys i disagreed at some points but i still found it interesting... i think that whole running/reading thing is more about discipline as well...i think Tim said something about that

Edited by MissAshley

I think the running and reading speech was based on the mentallity you need to uphold before you can try to be successful in any field. Because you need to be focused to try and reach a goal, and you need to have the belief that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Obviously there will be some kind of luck instated when anything happens in life, but generally, nothing is handed to you in life. So you need to have a good attitude and a good mentallity to begin with. It's easier to give up than it is to keep going, so if you remain focused on that and you eventually get that piece of luck or a break, you can know deep down that you've earned it. That was my take on it anyway.

i'm finally understanding what some of you guys mean by "weird" I guess I just didn't see it before b/c i've read/watched so many of his interviews of the years that none of this really seemed out of the ordinary to me...i've actually heard him get all "philosophical" before, but I can see how the more serious Will could kinda throw people off. like you guys i disagreed at some points but i still found it interesting... i think that whole running/reading thing is more about discipline as well...i think Tim said something about that

This is the first time ive found it a bit weird tho. i really liked his running and reading speech, and i find his philosphies interesting, but there was something about this interview that took it further. Maybe it was the fact that it was 1 hour 20 mins of it other than just 5 like it normally is.

i have to admit it had me thinking for a good while after listening to it, which is more than i get from most of his interviews. i suppose it has us talking about it anyway.

This is the first time ive found it a bit weird tho. i really liked his running and reading speech, and i find his philosphies interesting, but there was something about this interview that took it further. Maybe it was the fact that it was 1 hour 20 mins of it other than just 5 like it normally is.

Yeah, that's likely what it is. I don't think we've ever had an hour and twenty minutes of philosophy from Will. The reading and running, patterns and a few other things, we've heard already. This was more of an extended session.

• 2 weeks later...