JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jay-Z's 'Kingdom Come' Leaked on the Internet

fan 4ever

Well I feel you on that too Pakalicious, I don't hate on anybody just 'cause they're "pop" or "commercial" 'cause I hear people say that about LL and JJFP already, I'd be stooping down to their level, come on now I think it's a joke to consider Jay-Z as weak as Young Dro and Puffy, Young Dro's just a new rapper that hasn't really proven much yet and Puffy well he's not really an mc, he's more of just a hype man and a producer than an mc, now I wouldn't even consider Ja Rule to be in the same category as Young Dro and Puffy either, he ain't as bad as some people put him out to be, he got some good albums in between too, he actually outrapped mostly everybody on Game's remix so he gotta have some skill to do that considering there was legends like Nas and Ice Cube on that track, honestly I'd rather see Jay-Z get hyped rather than most of these pop rappers today even though there are some who deserve it more, it actually upsets a lil' bit if anybody gets too much airplay, it should be more balanced out so people could hear everybody

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I feel you on that too Pakalicious, I don't hate on anybody just 'cause they're "pop" or "commercial" 'cause I hear people say that about LL and JJFP already, I'd be stooping down to their level, come on now I think it's a joke to consider Jay-Z as weak as Young Dro and Puffy, Young Dro's just a new rapper that hasn't really proven much yet and Puffy well he's not really an mc, he's more of just a hype man and a producer than an mc, now I wouldn't even consider Ja Rule to be in the same category as Young Dro and Puffy either, he ain't as bad as some people put him out to be, he got some good albums in between too, he actually outrapped mostly everybody on Game's remix so he gotta have some skill to do that considering there was legends like Nas and Ice Cube on that track, honestly I'd rather see Jay-Z get hyped rather than most of these pop rappers today even though there are some who deserve it more, it actually upsets a lil' bit if anybody gets too much airplay, it should be more balanced out so people could hear everybody

That's the only thing im trying to say man.. But I knwo what you is saying ted and i feel it.. It just that AJ comment man.. Ja rule and jay are bad rappers? Is he forgetting Reasonable doubt and Rule 3:36? I love those albums.. And AJ when you hear instruments and a beat.. It Music.. really man.. dont judge a rapper out of that he is too "commercial" like Jay or an asshole like Kanye(i dont say it, but he does make some controversy like that bush statement and EMA awards thing) .. Judge him by his music.. that's all.. But again everybody have there own opinions..

peace

i know we've gone into what artists are real and whos fake before, and how to rate which emcees you should listen to, but i just found a new way to look at it. i listen to emcees who i can relate to.

i don't care who the emcee is as long as i can relate to it. if some people can relate to Jay-Z's big pimpin, well then damn i guess they're livin the life. i can relate to some of Jay's songs but not all of them which is why i dont listen to a lot of his tracks. same thing for a lot of commercial rap tracks, i cant relate to a lot of that stuff so i dont listen to it. pretty simple way to look at it, and thats what i go by

i know we've gone into what artists are real and whos fake before, and how to rate which emcees you should listen to, but i just found a new way to look at it. i listen to emcees who i can relate to.

i don't care who the emcee is as long as i can relate to it. if some people can relate to Jay-Z's big pimpin, well then damn i guess they're livin the life. i can relate to some of Jay's songs but not all of them which is why i dont listen to a lot of his tracks. same thing for a lot of commercial rap tracks, i cant relate to a lot of that stuff so i dont listen to it. pretty simple way to look at it, and thats what i go by

Yeah, I feel the same way. I used to exclusively listen to harder gangsta rap when younger...although I couldn't relate on any level...It was fun to imagine myself in the situation.

But as I grew older I felt like I wanted more music which I could relate to...so I picked up a taste for people who more accurately potrayed my personality (most of the time at least)...like A Tribe Called Quest,Will,Lupe Fiasco,Kanye, Kweli,Mos etc...I often pick up something if the subject matter is something I can't relate to if it shows good MC skills or good geats...like Jigga, BIG, Some tracks from Puffy's new album,Snoop,Tupac,Wu-Tang,Dr,Dre,Cube etc.

So if don't listen to a lot of mc's who will talk about living their life but the stuff I put on heavy rotation is stuff I can relate to.

Top 3 of all time? That's a disgrace to hip-hop to put him up so high, off the top of my dome I know all these would destroy Jay-Z, I don't even know if he'd crack my top 50:

KRS

LL

Chuck D

Fresh Prince

Rakim

Big Daddy Kane

Slick Rick

Ice Cube

Kool Moe Dee

Treach

Nas(already ethered him btw)

Kool G Rap

Queen Latifah

Lauryn

Wyclef

MC Lyte

CL Smooth

Treach

2Pac

Vinnie

Rev. Run

DMC

Andre 3000

Big Boi

Snoop

DMX

Grand Puba

Method Man

Redman

Big L

Ice-T

Big Pun

Talib Kweli

Mos Def

Aceyalone

Pep Love

Casual

Fat Joe

nas and krs I put above him, but the rest hover near, except for guys like dmx andre 3000 and fat joe, i see them nowhere near him. I just don't see those mentions at all.

Rakim has arguablely the best flow, but when did he ever talk about anything but himself? Jay-z is cocky as hell but i see so much more substance in what he raps than rakim. mos def and talib are amazing lyricists, and are in the top ten, IMO, but i think to be a great rapper, you need to also appeal somewhat to the masses, something they have a hard time doing. they are some of the best backpack-rappers, but that is one type of rap, not the premier necessarily.

2pac in my opinion could say alot of influential things, but his flow never appealed to me. I also feel his legendary status was sealed because of his death. LL has recycled rhymes and is really hard for me to respect as much now that he's willing to drop his credibility for G-unit. Method man at times shows greatness, but I feel he tries to hard to not break away from one style, set in place by his Wu-tang roots. Redman never really appealed to me.

Queen Latifah, maybe its just personal preference, NEVER appealed to me, no matter what she rapped about or to what beat. I never could get into it. (maybe its a lil sexism, because I have yet to find another female rapper I'll listen to either. I'll admit it.)

Ice Cube was decent in his last CD, altho I felt he really was pulling the last from his creativity.

To me, Snoop is fun with what he says, but limited on the depth that you can read into it.

As much as I love Will, to be the best, you have to continually be able to be creative in new ways. I think Will has his niche, but I don't think it surpasses what Jay has been able to do. Also, you will hear a D grade rhyme from Will more frequently than you will from Jay. Slick Rick was an awesome story teller, but I still don't see him over Jay. Ice-T was great during his time, yet I think he pales in comparison to raps from guys like Nas and Jay can still churn out. Wyclef and Kool G, I gotta admit, they slipped my mind, so I can't argue anything there. Also, on the latter end of your list, I am not familar with the talent so I can't judge.

Just my opinion. Thought I'd at least try to give some understanding why I still see Jay up there top 3.

Hey I feel you bro on where you're coming from, that's nice to know you're familar with most of these mcs, now if you're gonna call LL selling out for working with G-Unit but what about some of the weak rappers that Jay-Z worked with respectfully speaking? Recycled rhymes? What about all the Biggie lines that Jay-Z uses in his songs? Would Jay-Z even be as popular if Biggie was alive? I don't think so, Biggie's another one above Jay-Z of course... Rakim did have some inciteful lyrics on "The 18th Letter" album and besides the way he came into the game with his rhyme patterns elevated many mcs to step their game, think about how mc'ing was before him and then after he came along and you'll see that he made way more impact than Jigga has, rappers today still use lines from "Paid In Full", DMX has a better album catalog than Jay-Z does, basically a lot of solid work he's done since he came in from '98 till now, Fat Joe from the mid-late 90s was a great mc and I think he's going back to that form on his new album coming out tomorrow, I also forgot to mention mcs Busta, Common, Guru, and Q-Tip that're all at least on the same level as Jay-Z, now putting Jay-Z in the top 50 is not a knock, it's just that there are many great mcs that're still living or have lived, I can't put him above all them, many people sleep on them and that's why they put him so high but I'd imagine they wouldn't if they actually heard of these mcs

for jay-z, i take his word that its just him paying homage, but its everybody's own interpretation. Biggie for me had a great flow but not too much inspirational in the lyrics. For me, Tupac and Biggie were like two halves to the greatest rapper. One had the deep meaning lyrics, the other a great flow, together woulda been the best hands down. Busta is awesome, and so is common, along with Q-tip definitely. Not too familiar with Guru.

But the most important reason for me responding is after going on a FP spree, gotta say he is better than Jay. haha its been awhile for some of his stuff.

Jay Z sucks. He's just another one of those rich rappers who like to talk about their money, their girls, other rappers and such.

not exactly my reason but i hate him too :word: