JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

one main reason why we like rap music

sonic1988

• Admin

Most people don't realize it but your professor is absolutely right! It's something I realized as a rapping producer many many years go, and is why when I write my rhymes now I will usually do my cadence first and then fit the words to it. It's the exact same way how MOST people hear the track first, hooks second, then lyrics. They will hear and be drawn to the cadence (syncopation) before they are drawn to the lyrics.

If you want proof of what the professor is saying all you have to do is examine Rap syncopation from the Old School and how it progresses to the New. The simple Old School cadences that just about everybody uses are gradually replaced by more complex cadences that vary from rapper to rapper. The rappers that most consider the dopest are the ones who's flow (cadence) is most unique. What is more, in the Old School the cadences didn't vary with the beat, but it has evolved into an artform that the illest rappers understand, different beat, different flow.

Examine it again, you'll see that the professor is absolutely right. If you're a rapper, learn from it, it will make you even better than you already are. Actually, some of you probably already know it without even realizing it.

:smart:

This is a good point, and the truth is I've only realized the complexity in the last year or so. I always realised I liked souls of mischief, I thought they had greater skills than most of the rappers I heard. But I didn't really know why. Studying the way they use their cadences, the way they work around the beat, and just going back to these albums I've realized why it sounds so good, why they were ahead of their time and how they advanced the rhyming. Knowing this I can now pick rappers who sound exactly like them, they've probably copied them, or copied someone who copied them. Now whats interesting..if I take Tajai from souls of mischief..he has really expanded his style, its more complex, its more difficult but I think he flowed better, he sounded better in 1995 than he does today. Sometimes I think simpler can be better.

If you listen to him, on his recent stuff.. He just sounds very diffrent with his flows, and the way he rhymes. Juelz does kinda the same thing.

Yep, that would be a change in syncopation. Mind you, ALL rap that is rhythmic (unlike most spoken word) is syncopated, it's just some styles of syncopation are more advanced than others. It is usually the syncopation first and foremost that either draws us to or makes us dislike a rapper. And, advanced does NOT necessarily mean better. Just like judging a drummer, it is still largely a matter of taste. There is no denying that E-40's flow is very advanced, but it still might not be your cup of tea. After all, Das FX and the Fu-Shnickens had very advanced flows too. :blabla:

Most people don't realize it but your professor is absolutely right! It's something I realized as a rapping producer many many years go, and is why when I write my rhymes now I will usually do my cadence first and then fit the words to it. It's the exact same way how MOST people hear the track first, hooks second, then lyrics. They will hear and be drawn to the cadence (syncopation) before they are drawn to the lyrics.

If you want proof of what the professor is saying all you have to do is examine Rap syncopation from the Old School and how it progresses to the New. The simple Old School cadences that just about everybody uses are gradually replaced by more complex cadences that vary from rapper to rapper. The rappers that most consider the dopest are the ones who's flow (cadence) is most unique. What is more, in the Old School the cadences didn't vary with the beat, but it has evolved into an artform that the illest rappers understand, different beat, different flow.

Examine it again, you'll see that the professor is absolutely right. If you're a rapper, learn from it, it will make you even better than you already are. Actually, some of you probably already know it without even realizing it.

:smart:

This is a good point, and the truth is I've only realized the complexity in the last year or so. I always realised I liked souls of mischief, I thought they had greater skills than most of the rappers I heard. But I didn't really know why. Studying the way they use their cadences, the way they work around the beat, and just going back to these albums I've realized why it sounds so good, why they were ahead of their time and how they advanced the rhyming. Knowing this I can now pick rappers who sound exactly like them, they've probably copied them, or copied someone who copied them. Now whats interesting..if I take Tajai from souls of mischief..he has really expanded his style, its more complex, its more difficult but I think he flowed better, he sounded better in 1995 than he does today. Sometimes I think simpler can be better.

EXACTLY! Sometimes you can be too good for your own good. A real good MC, just like a real good musician, will find the best way to express himself in his flow, instead of just showing off. He will find the best flow that complements the beat and sets the mood with what he's trying to say. Syncopation, which is an extension of the beat and sets the tone and flavor of the rhythm, has an emotional content just like any other instrument in a piece of music. We know you're dope son, you don't have to over-do it.

Yeah it's important for an mc to know how to rhyme a certain way to a beat, it's like how great singers sing notes a certain way to match the instrumental, usually that's what seperates the best from the rest, and the weak ones are the ones that don't know how to adjust and they're going off key