JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

one main reason why we like rap music

sonic1988

My music professor told my class in her lecture that the main reason why people like rap music is due to the syncopation. The definition of Syncopation is:

placing of accent on weak beat: a rhythmic technique in music in which the accent is shifted to a weak beat of the bar

this basically means that if a song goes (I'm going to use font size to show accents):

1, 2, 3, 4

^ in 4/4 time (which is basically every rap song)

a rapper will basically go

1, 2, 3, 4

for everyone who is doing battle raps and rapping and wondering why a song they are working on just won't click, this may be the reason why.

If this is confusing, check out the wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncopation

Edited by sonic1988

woah, never thought of it like that. thats kinda interesting, even though I don't think thats the main reason why people like rap. thanks for sharing though.

Edited by bart5

Most people don't realize it but your professor is absolutely right! It's something I realized as a rapping producer many many years go, and is why when I write my rhymes now I will usually do my cadence first and then fit the words to it. It's the exact same way how MOST people hear the track first, hooks second, then lyrics. They will hear and be drawn to the cadence (syncopation) before they are drawn to the lyrics.

If you want proof of what the professor is saying all you have to do is examine Rap syncopation from the Old School and how it progresses to the New. The simple Old School cadences that just about everybody uses are gradually replaced by more complex cadences that vary from rapper to rapper. The rappers that most consider the dopest are the ones who's flow (cadence) is most unique. What is more, in the Old School the cadences didn't vary with the beat, but it has evolved into an artform that the illest rappers understand, different beat, different flow.

Examine it again, you'll see that the professor is absolutely right. If you're a rapper, learn from it, it will make you even better than you already are. Actually, some of you probably already know it without even realizing it.

:smart:

It's interesing. Really every rap song goes like that? So how another styles are "planned" (I don't know how to call it).

Even is it a true, that's not a reason why I like 'OUR' music.... If you wonder why I like it........

cause of the ladies in the musicvideos.........

No, just joking;)

It's interesing. Really every rap song goes like that? So how another styles are "planned" (I don't know how to call it).

Even is it a true, that's not a reason why I like 'OUR' music.... If you wonder why I like it........

cause of the ladies in the musicvideos.........

No, just joking;)

No, that is just an example, and what the professor was laying down is over simplified.

If you've ever checked a real funky drummer, what makes him funky is not the basic beat, but how he fills the spaces in between. THAT is syncopation. A nice rapper basically does the same thing with his/her cadence.

That's one thing I hate about a lot of rappers today, they're offbeat. Back in the day rappers were on time with their beat. This "loose flow" style just irritates my ears.

Yeah, I'm not too crazy about the offbeat styles either. That is only 1 type of syncopation.

Rakim is 1 of the funkiest rappers ever with his syncopated flow. Take a good listen to "I Ain't No Joke" for an education.

Edited by Cozmo D

Suga Free is a master at syncopation. He can spit so many words in one line it's hard to comprehend, which I love. E-40 is the same way, and he can also vary his tone at the same time. It's just crazy.

NOW you get it, and the key is it's their style of syncopation that sets them apart. It's exactly the way we judge drummers or tap dancers. THEN, add whether they are good lyricists as well, and VOILA! Dope MC!

So the thing that makes Cam'ron so diffrent these days is his "Syncopation"?

Well, what's different about him?

Suga Free is a master at syncopation. He can spit so many words in one line it's hard to comprehend, which I love. E-40 is the same way, and he can also vary his tone at the same time. It's just crazy.

gift of gab spits really fast sometimes as well... and on beat.

twista spits really fast too but im not that crazy about him..i like maybe 2 or 3 songs