JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

R&B Crooner Gerald Levart Dies At 40 Years Old

bigted

I just read about this now when I was reading the news, this is real sad to see such a talent go so young, RIP

R&B Crooner Gerald Levert Dies, 40

By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY

AP Music Writer

NEW YORK - Gerald Levert, the fiery singer of passionate R&B love songs and the son of O'Jays singer Eddie Levert, died on Friday. He was 40.

His label, Atlantic Records, confirmed that Levert died at his home in Cleveland, Ohio.

"All of us at Atlantic are shocked and deeply saddened by his untimely death. He was one of the greatest voices of our time, who sang with unmatched soulfulness and power, as well as a tremendously gifted composer and an accomplished producer," the statement read.

Dan Bomeli, public relations manager at University Hospitals Geauga Medical Center in suburban Cleveland, said Levert had been brought to the hospital. Bomeli said Levert had died but he had no further details.

Over his two-decade music career, Levert sold millions of albums and had numerous R&B hits.

Levert first gained fame in 1986 as a member of the R&B trio LeVert, which also included his brother, Sean, and childhood friend Marc Gordon. They quickly racked up hits like "(Pop, Pop, Pop, Pop) Goes My Mind," "Casanova," and "Baby I'm Ready."

But Gerald Levert's voice - powerful and soulful, almost a carbon copy of his father's - was always the focal point, and in 1991, he made his solo debut with the album "Private Line," which included a hit duet with his dad, "Baby Hold on to Me." His father also recorded the successful album "Father & Son."

Levert was known for his sensual, romantic songs, but unlike a Luther Vandross, whose voice and songs were more genteel, Levert's music was explosive and raw - his 2002 album was titled "The G Spot."

Though Levert was successful as a solo singer, in 1997 he got into group mode again - joining with R&B singers Johnny Gill and Keith Sweat for the supergroup of LSG. The self-titled album sold more than two million copies, and their hits included the sensual "My Body." Levert also worked with other artists as a songwriter and producer.

His most recent album was 2005's "Voices."

Levert had four children.

It's just after 1 in the morning here. I just got home after a looooong day at work and tuned on BET. After Dark (the late nite slow jam music video show) just came on and when the flashed the logo it had the message "A Salute to Gerald Levert, a friend who will be missed." I dropped my jaw in confusion.

I really can't grab a hold 2 this. Back in the late 80's, i listened 2 Levert and followed Gerald thru' his entire solo career (I have all his albums). He truely is one of the greatest singer, songwriters, and producers in R-N-B ever.

While i'm watching this After Dark special (and being reminded just how brilliant Gerald was, i just realized that Jada plays a character in one of his videos...the girl stay in an abusive relationship (until the end of it).

My thoughts and prayers go out 2 his family.

Respect...and Rest In Peace.

I heard on the news that he died from a heart attack in his sleep

SOHH Soulful: Gerald Levert's Family Responds To His Death

Monday - November 13, 2006 by Kevin R. Scott

The family of Gerald Levert has responded via a statement regarding the public outpouring of well wishes they've received from his adoring fans and admirers.

"We are overwhelmed by the generous outpouring of love, condolences and support from the many friends, fans and admirers of Gerald's life and legacy," read the statement. "As everybody knows, Gerald was a man who loved and breathed music.

"To his family and friends he was a man of strong character, who had an infectious personality and a zest for life. For his fans, his greatest love was touching the hearts and souls of all people through his music. At this very difficult time, we thank you for your prayers and hope you will understand our need for privacy."

The R&B singer died Friday (Nov. 10) at the age of 40 of a fatal heart attack. Funeral arrangements have not been determined at the time the statement was released.