JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Nas' single "Hip hop is dead" from his album titled the same has leaked

Bob

Here's the link enjoy!! (I'm not sure how long AllHiphop.com leaves it up, I know they update their playlist often, so listen to it now!!)

The song "Hip Hop is Dead" from the new album by Nas has leaked online (because I'm relatively new, I don't know if I can mention the site it's streaming on if it's considered advertising). I think it's an awesome song. It shows off will.i.am's creativity with a bass line and a drum set. There's a part when it really seems to play off the old JJFP style. Also, Nas brings his best to the table with the lyrics:

"everybody sound the same

comercialized the game

reminiscing when it wasn't all business

if it got where it started

so we all gather here for the daily departed

hip hop is sense a timer

one homeboy become a man then a mobster

if it dies let me get my last with the rocker

R.I.P we donate your lungs to a roster

went from turntables to mp3's

from beatstreets to commercials or mickey d's

from go cables to jacobs

from play facials to botox and face lifts

(I'm pretty sure I got those lyrics right, that's just a snippet of the end when they've got the crowd chanting "hip hop" and when its got the old school feel.)

Edited by Bob

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a hot track, can't wait till his album drops, he really seems focused

I went searchin' and found 17 tracks, but #7 was missin'. I was thinkin' of downloadin' them all, but I think I'll wait. For some reason, "The N" that I found was 3:53, instead of the 2:48 we heard. hmm. And I did see a track with Michael Jackson. Maybe it's just a sample or something, who knows. It's amazing how Nas sound has matured and varied up each album.

The whole album leaked? Wow that's not a good sign for Nas since it's not coming out for another month and a half, he's gonna flop like Lupe now...

Edited by bigted

Lovin "Hip Hop Is Dead", esp. the old school beat breaks in it. "The N" would sound a lot better without that string loop. What is with rappers comin out all hardcore and using strings???? It's so annoying and to me it undermines the effectiveness of what they're trying to accomplish. Rappers will be performing with orchestras next. I guess this is payback for us stealing rock n' roll?

... Rappers will be performing with orchestras next.....

I think that already happened when Dr. Dre was dancin' to an orchestra in a music video 10 years ago, "Been There, Done That"

The whole album leaked? Wow that's not a good sign for Nas since it's not coming out for another month and a half, he's gonna flop like Lupe now...

Well, people might be like me, and download albums or a track or two until I can get out and get the cd. Nas isn't necessarily a commercial selling artist. Many of us very well know that. The money doesn't matter to him, but he's still gonna make it. Nas will never be labeled a "flop" because you can't look at him as a seller. His releases are on a different tip. LL Cool J would be a good example on the other end. (bigted you know for sure. he's true to himself and "his" art, yet has the greatest desire to sell and be a success. Tell me if I'm wrong.)

You have no idea how appetizing those tracks were. "North by Northwest" feat. The Game, "Polo & Guess" feat. Jay-Z, "Gods & Earths" feat. Rakim, "U.B.K. (Unauthorized Biography of KRS-One), etc. Wouldn't it be something is if after every "UB?", Nas collabed with that artist on his next albums. The thing about bein a fan of Nas is following whole heartedly and then he turns. (Look at each of the albums as a whole. You're gonna feel each one differently) If he's gonna say "Hip Hop is Dead", look at what it stood for when it came out and how it elevated. The views of this album can go both ways. G-Unit put out a mixtape titled "Hip Hop is Dead". What does that mean, especially to them? Not something that needs to really be answered but think about it. Just ponder it.

Nas wouldn't sign to Def Jam if he wasn't worried about selling records, let's be real, he knows that all the big name artists sign there and sell the most records in hip-hop, he'd go to Koch with KRS-ONE if he didn't worry about sales, but even KRS would go to a big record label if they gave him a good offer, mostly every artist wants to sell records and have success, there was people out there that considered "Street's Disciple" a flop when his previous 2 albums "Stillmatic" and "God's Son" were multiplatinum and "Street's Disciple" shipped platinum, he was selling as much as the big name artists were during that time, only people like Jay-Z and DMX were selling more then, there's a big drop off between selling 2 million with "Stillmatic" and selling 600,000 with "Street's Disciple", and there are some people that criticise Nas for going to Def Jam and working for Jay-Z, I could understand why too 'cause a couple years ago he was calling Def Jam a slaveship and now he signs there where Def Jam don't really look that much better today either, it's just as understandable to see people criticising Nas for going to Def Jam as it is to see people criticising LL for working with 50 Cent, in fact even more so 'cause LL never criticised 50 Cent but Nas was very vocal about how he didn't like Def Jam, I don't think there's anything wrong with Nas squashing beef with Jay-Z but going around acting like he's best friends with him like nothing went wrong before is gonna send mixed feelings to fans, it's looking like he's just trying to ride off of Jay-Z' success now rather than keep it real, Jay-Z ain't the realest rapper...

It'll be interesting to see how many people check for Nas this time around but other than that there's no doubt about what he's gonna do musically, he's a consistant artist, it'd be nice to see a real artist sell for a change these days, that's why people are saying "hip-hop is dead" 'cause the real albums don't sell as much as the garbage polluting the airwaves but real hip-hop never has been about sales, btw the reason why I mentioned Lupe leaking earlier is 'cause he was hyped up as the future star of hip-hop but then his album leaked many weeks before and his sales were affected, Nas' album has been highly anticipated for a while and if it leaks this earlier it might not sell, downloading is killing the music industry...

Edited by bigted