JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jermaine Dupri Leaves Virgin Records

bigted

Jermaine Dupri Screws Virgin, Leaves Label

Friday - October 20, 2006 by Dick Johnson

Jermaine Dupri has reportedly stepped down from his positon as president of urban music division at Virgin Records.

Earlier this week, The New York Daily News reported that JD threatened to quit due to lackluster sales on Janet Jackson's 20 Y.O. album. Now, sources are saying the Atlanta mogul left the label.

Though the album debuted in the Top 5 three weeks ago, sales of 20 Y.O. have fallen short in comparison to previous Jackson albums. The album has sold 416, 353 units to date, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

In addition to his Virgin duties, JD's So So Def imprint is distributed by the company. His roster includes Da Brat, Dem Franchize Boyz and Daz Dillinger, among others. Daz recently dropped his So So Gangsta album, only selling 51, 308 copies since its release on September 23rd

Janet's album ain't really doing that bad, selling 400,000+ albums in 3 weeks is actually great these days, if MTV didn't blacklist her she'd be doing Beyonce/Justin Timberlake numbers, I actually got a chance to listen to Janet's album recently, I definately think it's better than her last couple albums

I think it's dope. It's a grower. Still Virgin is screwing up theyr Hip Hop Artists.

Yeah Daz' album only sold 50,000 copies, that's a shame 'cause he's one of the few gangsta rappers that I feel

I could see this happening. JD just isn't the big label type...unless it's a Hip-Hop label. Janet's new album is average. And it's easily her weakest album. The label's promotion isn't very good...and i feel Janet did her part. I think she needs 2 regroup and come back after a break with a thicker sound. Her sound is just 2 sweet and light. If that's in her heart, fine, but i think she's stuck in the same place that she has been for past 5 years. She's also been living really good for awhile so maybe she's lacking fire and inspiration behind these newer songs. There's definitly some edge missing from 20 Y.O.

Yeah "20 YO" definately has more life in it than "Damita Jo" and "All Of You" does, of course she could do better but so could everyone else, she's still a better artist than Beyonce and most out today

Edited by bigted

As I've said before, it's time for established artists to leave these labels. With the internet and places like ITunes and Rhapsody I would bypass the industry altogether. People can talk about how internet downloading has hurt artists(and it has) but how does that explain artists like Justin? His album was out on the internet a month before it went on sale and he seems to be doing just fine(to the tune of roughly 1.3 million copies).

It is about the record labels and how wack they are. They'll continue to heavily promote crap but albums like Robin Thicke's Evolution(less than 50,000 copies to date) or Lupe's Food & Liquor(less than 150,000 to date) get very little promotion(or should I say no promotion). It seems quality albums are being pushed back or not promoted correctly. IT'S NOT ABOUT QUALITY WITH THE INDUSTRY!!!! IT'S ABOUT MAKING MONEY WITH THEM!!! They could give less than a crap about real music.

Man I just realised yesterday that Robin Thicke's album came out a few weeks ago, I was looking forward to that album too for awhile, that shows you how much that was promoted, it really gotta be promoted badly 'cause I could usually find anything, lol, how is that album? Btw like I said it's very disturbing how MTV blacklisted Janet while they play Justin every five seconds it seems

Yeah, Justin gets way 2 much play. I like him...but "Sexyback" is wack...and the song is still in heavy rotation...like after 3 or 4 months. I think All For You and Damito Jo were much better than 20 Y.O. I just think the sound waz much richer and the lyrics stood out 2 me much more. I've been thinkin' Jimmy Jam + Terry Lewis have gotten kinda soft on their sound. Some people wanna blame Jermaine Dupri for the weaker sound of the album, but i can't see him giving Usher and Mariah Carey the flawless production he has and not even the same or better to his own girlfriend.

I just think it waz time for another album like janet. I think JD needs 2 stop having So So Def as in imprint with a distribution deal and make it a label all itself.

• Admin

man I didnt even realise they released that robin thicke album.. i thought they'd permanently shelve it seems ive been waitin a couple of years for it to come out.. I loved janets velvet rope album but I havent like anything since then...

Man I just realised yesterday that Robin Thicke's album came out a few weeks ago, I was looking forward to that album too for awhile, that shows you how much that was promoted, it really gotta be promoted badly 'cause I could usually find anything, lol, how is that album?

Robin Thicke's album is definitely a must have for this year. It's been out since Oct. 3rd and I've only heard one of his songs(Lost Without You) on radio every now and then. It's a really great album with a good mix of ballads and mid to uptempo songs. My grade is A-.