Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Ideas About Will's Next Album?

Turntable

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'd hate for his next album to be his last cause that way it looks as though he's just giving into the haters who say that he should just stick to acting.

But if Will did make the next album his last it won't be the end of the world i just hope that when he retires from doing music people will remember him as 'the legendary emcee who paved the way' as oposed to 'that actor that did gettin jiggy wit it'

I'd hate for his next album to be his last cause that way it looks as though he's just giving into the haters who say that he should just stick to acting.

But if Will did make the next album his last it won't be the end of the world i just hope that when he retires from doing music people will remember him as 'the legendary emcee who paved the way' as oposed to 'that actor that did gettin jiggy wit it'

Well sadly I think there are many people that're gonna always think like that, his success in Hollywood has been the gift and the curse, it'd take him selling over 100 million albums to equal the massive success that his movies get, it shouldn't be that way at all, his Hollywood career has overshadowed his rap career but he shouldn't worry much about it, easy for me to say since I ain't in his shoes, the thing is though that all the criticism probably gets to him as much as I hope that it wouldn't 'cause if I was in that position I could how it might not be fun to rap much anymore 'cause whenever he raps he faces criticism, what's the point to rap if you're only rapping all the time against the criticism, that ain't fun, he's released a lot more classic albums than mostly every rapper ever has, he shouldn't have to prove anything at this point, he should get the recognition for what's he's done in the rap game already, how much does he have to do to get it?

Releasing 9 albums selling over 30 million albums, basically creating a path for other rappers to expand their careers into acting, and winning the 1st rap grammy ever in a span of 20 years should be good enough already but people overlook that to a degree, he might get a lil' bit more respect after releasing "Lost and Found",there's more hate than love still since he ain't thugged out like the other popular rappers it might be hard for some to accept him and there's really this backlash to a lot of older rappers for some reason by fans, record labels, and even some younger rappers which is sad to say,

Rhymefest talks about this in his blog on SOHH.com btw,there shouldn't be a clock for greatness, rappers should be able to go as long as they want to,

since majority of the rap consumers are younger they seem to only want to hear from rappers closer to their age which doesn't make sense, I'm discusted of my generation quite a bit, personally I don't give a damn if the artist is 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, or 70 years old, if that artist makes good music I support, I ain't gonna stop trying to get in the game either no matter how long it takes either...

Being in the spotlight that long he desires to be loved for what he does, listen to "Could You Love Me" and you understand what he means, it's probably more fun to do movies 'cause he don't receive much criticism, people all ages and walks of life appreciate a good movie but it's really hard for certain people to accept a good rap album,we all could relate to that 'cause in our lives we want to do something that people'll appreciate and if we don't see people appreciating us for it we might not want to do that job anymore, Will probably gave up rapping for a while after "Code Red" 'cause he put a lot of work into album just as much as his earlier JJFP albums but because rap's image changed people didn't check for it, really though whenever he put work on his movies he'd get more and more recognition, if "Lost and Found" was a movie it'd been the biggest of his career but with music it ain't like that, it's all image more than anything which is sad, he put out an album better than a lot of the thugged out and younger rappers and it deserved to outsell all of them, Game says on his single about older rappers "You're 38 and still rappin'? Uhhhh", when in reality one bar from 38 year old Will Smith is better than his whole career's worth, but hey that's ok when he gets to Will's age 10 years from now he'll go through the same thing from some other younger and I'm sure he won't like that either, that's if he still has a career left, with the way the rap industry's going who knows if it'll even be around in a few years, people're losing interest in it, throwing the pioneers out the door is ultimately what's gonna end it I believe, if the older generation ain't there to lead it'll become disorganised, like my man fuq says "Some of my past will stay with me in the future", that's what the rap game needs to do to survive, we can't forget our past, need to keep it in our present....

The thing about the rap game that really hurts it's image is that there's talented rappers like FP who get dissed 'cause they ain't hardcore enough, not saying that hardcore rappers ain't talented but the point is that you could do a movie and image doesn't matter, only the performance does, that's what should matter the most but it ain't that way it seems, as a fan it's dissapointing to see fans argue over who is the hardest rapper rather than focus on who's the most talented, on top of that as an up and coming artist like myself it hurts me to know that most of the rappers from my generation that're rapping about selling drugs'll get a record deal faster than the ones like me that're writing songs with positive messages to them even if they all have the same amount of skills, Kel Spencer didn't blow up yet not 'cause he don't have skills but 'cause he don't fit in with what the industry wants, if FP was 18 years old and coming up now in 2006 he'd probably have to go to college and not decide to rap 'cause he wouldn't make it now even with his up and coming classic albums he's was working with Jazzy Jeff would be fire, it shouldn't be that way, when Will first came into the rap game fans were more open minded than they are now and it was strictly about who had the most skills to get on, that's why the fans who're around his age might not listen much to rap anymore either or say rap is dying from the way that really there's no appreciation for the history, the public might sleep on Will as a rapper but they know him as an actor but there are some pioneers like Kurtis Blow where the public don't even know who he is if you ask them, it's better to be known for something than nothing, no appreciation for the music anymore or the history....

• Admin

The original jazzy jeff beat for here he comes was a lot better before the freshmen got their hand on it.. I think the freshmens beats were decent..but don't stand up to repeat listens..unlike code red and willennium..

What I'm saying is.. I've waited 14 years for a new Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince album..and thats what I want..

Yeah it really comes down to what Will desires to do, when the time's right he'll make another album when his mind and soul's into doing it and him and Jazzy are potnas for life so we know sooner or later something's bound to happen again, whether they decide to do more records or just some performances

• 2 weeks later...

The original jazzy jeff beat for here he comes was a lot better before the freshmen got their hand on it.. I think the freshmens beats were decent..but don't stand up to repeat listens..unlike code red and willennium..

What I'm saying is.. I've waited 14 years for a new Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince album..and thats what I want..

That's what we all want!!! I love Lost&found but the beats are not the best for me... I prefer Willennium beats or the magnificent ones...Those are classics, true hip hop... the only beat in lost & found that I feel true hip hop is Could u Love me, the others are too different, it's not the kind of sound that I like...

i kinda feel like Will maxed out on his connections to get the production (timbaland), the guest appearances (snoop dogg), the hooks (ludacris for party starter) for the last album. He just doesn't seem to have it "in" with the current rap scene, like Dr. dre, Cool and Dre, etc.

Unfortunately I got the impression that all the help he got on his last album was almost like forced just to give back to a guy who did soo much for the game.

It almost seemed reluctant.

So I would be surprised if he could come out with such hot beats again and appearances like that.

With that in mind, I bet he and jazzy will do something similar to willenium.

I think albums are like mixtapes these days, it seems like there's guests on every track on most albums, I like some guest appearances but I'd prefer that Will's album having less guest appearances, he could carry albums by himself

Edited by bigted