JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

CHINA CANCELS JAY-Z CONCERT

JumpinJack AJ

China Cancels Jay-Z's Shanghai Concert

SHANGHAI, China (Oct. 11) - The Culture Ministry has canceled rapper Jay-Z 's planned debut in China, citing his "vulgar" lyrics, a state-run newspaper reported Wednesday.

The rap icon, whose real name is Shawn Carter, was scheduled to perform on Oct. 23 at Shanghai's Hongkou Stadium.

"Some of Jay-Z 's songs contain too much vulgar language," Sun Yun, of promoter KS Production Co., was quoted as saying in the Shanghai Daily newspaper.

The New York rapper's use of profanity and songs about drug dealers, pimps and violence apparently offended China's culture czars despite their recently allowing groups with sexually suggestive songs, such as the Rolling Stones and the Black Eyed Peas , to perform in Shanghai.

A call to a representative for the rapper early Wednesday went unanswered.

-------------

Ha ha...i think this is hilarious. For way 2 long, rappers have been totally irresponcible for talking about nothing but guns, sex, drugs, and jewelery. These unorignal fools are selling millions, gaining fame, and being praised for it. I think it's discusting and i have since 1993. Positive, intellengent people like FP have a fight and claw 2 get a hit single and they do hold themselves accountable for their lyrics and actions. These commerical rappers don't care what they say (if they actually say anything), how they act, and i think it's time start holding them accountable. If u are ignorant, if u don't care what u say 4 the kids 2 hear, u should have your options limited.

Any thoughts on this?

You're laughing 'cause you don't like Jay-Z' music but if it was another rapper that you like more that curses a lot like DMX or Ice Cube that got their concerts cancelled you wouldn't be laughing, you'd be saying that's not fair, China probably don't have much freedom of speech like here in America

You're laughing 'cause you don't like Jay-Z' music but if it was another rapper that you like more that curses a lot like DMX or Ice Cube that got their concerts cancelled you wouldn't be laughing, you'd be saying that's not fair, China probably don't have much freedom of speech like here in America

:word: You are right Ted! Everytime that there is a Jay-z post on this board, you start hating on him AJ...if you don't like the man then don't make posts about him! It's the same with 50 cent, I don't like the dude, so I ain't reading the posts that people are making about him!

Give the man a break!

I remember when Snoop was not able to perform at Vegas people were talking about where is the freedom of speech and when it happens to Jay you find it funny?

Yeah and I think I remember AJ saying something in the thread about how it wasn't fair that Snoop wasn't allowed to perform, I think I remember saying that if this was 50 Cent or another rapper he didn't like that he wouldn't say that and this thread proves my point, lol... Now really like I said before a lot of these artists today were inspired off NWA, that was 1987, not 1993, after that is when rappers started to exercise their freedom of speech more to use more profane language following NWA's lead, they're the reason why many albums today have parental advisory on them from their influence, before them there really wasn't any albums with parental advisory in rap, now the government here tried to censor some rappers here in America like them, Too Live Crew, and 2Pac, but they weren't able to do so since we have freedom of speech, now if this country was like China that'd be a different story, it's their rule, I heard that they don't even have their own music channel over there, the government over there is a lot more controlling than here.... And of course now when rap was more clean before NWA there was still a lot of kids getting into drugs and violence, etc., there was gangs, drugs, and violence for a long time, it didn't just start when NWA rapped about it or there was mafia movies depicting it, even though sometimes the government here tries to make it seem that way since they don't want to take the blame on what they don't do, lol, you couldn't blame rap for that then, that was more the Regan administration then respectfully speaking that made more of an influence to the economy getting bad and didn't control the drugs that hit the inner cities, really entertainment plays a small influence, the government makes a bigger one, now the upcoming census says that there's 300 million people in America, only like 10 million listen to rap now most likely, probably a lil' more that watch movies at the movie theaters, how could entertainment be destroying America? Everyone is influenced by what the goverment does, they play a bigger role, I don't think 50 Cent sent the troops to war right?

Edited by bigted

Since the article focused on the lyrics, that's why i ate it up. I've always been about positive Hip-Hop. Yeah, i like a few artists who stress the positive and negative. But i don't follow those artists the way i do the icons like JJ+FP, PE, EPMD, etc.

If we are comparing tho'...artists like DMX do have a variety of things in their subject matter. Other than his voice, Jay-Z's lyrics have always annoyed me. Every songs is potentially written the same way.

It's like when Ludacris got all bent outta shape when Pepsi kicked his deal 2 the side. The focus waz on his lyrics. LL Cool J and Run-DMC never had that problem with Dr. Pepper.

My main thing overall is that artists need 2 be held accountable for their lyrics...PERIOD. It's time for change and growth.

Well Jay-Z does have songs on his albums that have more subject matter than his singles do but they don't get airplay, I do find him to be one of the most overrated rappers but I call a spade a spade, he did have a song called "Renegade" with Eminem who also gets quite criticism for his lyrics of course and basically in that song it was dedicated to their critics and Jay-Z said a line in there: "Do you fools listen to music or do you skim through it?" It's like if you watch one scene of a movie and make a judgement off of it if you just criticise artists for their singles and like Ice Cube said in "Why We Thugs" which really wasn't that big of a hit since it was a rap song with a message he said "They give us guns and drugs/Then they wonder why the f we're thugs?", as long as the government don't clean the streets gangsta rap will remain a reality, a lot of these rappers come from that reality where being in gangs and violence is a way of life, like Snoop said in a recent interviews: "I know some people are gonna judge me for aligning myself with a gang but hey if they step in my shoes they'll feel the same way, they only talk that way through a typewriter but I've been through it, I'm trying to show them a better way, they could relate to me helping them more than you 'cause I've been there", art immitates life, and if everyone in life gets their act together then maybe there'll be better music

Edited by bigted

I ain't no hater, if I don't like some artists I don't listen to them that's all, I really like positve rap more than gangsta rap but I could understand why the gangsta rappers say the things they do, it has to be a balance in hip-hop, without gangsta rap hip-hop would be just party music, if there wasn't no NWA hip-hop wouldn't have the same feel to it, gangsta rap brings more reality to hip-hop 'cause not everything in life is about partying and throwing hands in the air, not everything in life is positive and fun all the time, there's darkness in life too, it just lets out that frustration....

Edited by bigted

Love or hate jay z u have to respect him

Owner of Def Jam

New York Nets

Clothing Lines

A Nice Collection Of Albums

Personally Jay Z is one of my fav. rappers.

Well in all fairness he don't own Def Jam, he works for Def Jam under a contract that could expire anytime the owners want it to, and he only owns 1% of the Nets even though he makes it seem like it's more, and I don't thinkrespect should come from how much somebody is worth either or popularity, I really don't put any celebrity on a pedestal, they're all human like us, they're just in the spotlight that's all

Edited by bigted

I ain't no hater, if I don't like some artists I don't listen to them that's all, I really like positve rap more than gangsta rap but I could understand why the gangsta rappers say the things they do, it has to be a balance in hip-hop, without gangsta rap hip-hop would be just party music, if there wasn't no NWA hip-hop wouldn't have the same feel to it, gangsta rap brings more reality to hip-hop 'cause not everything in life is about partying and throwing hands in the air, not everything in life is positive and fun all the time, there's darkness in life too, it just lets out that frustration....

I understand is hard, and all that, but I see that the way they're doin their thing is wrong, cause kids dont understand that in the way you do or they do, they understand it like its cool to sell drugs and kill people for money, and the result is bad.