JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Lupe Fiasco's "Food & Liquor" Debuts #1 On Rap Album Chart

bigted

"Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor" Debuts at #1 On Top Rap Albums Chart

Friday - September 29, 2006 by Anthony Roberts

After having his album leaked early, Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor is #1 on the Billboard Top Rap Albums chart.

The record, which is currently being fueled by Lupe's latest single "Daydreamin" featuring Jill Scott, is also #2 on the Hip Hop/R&B albums chart and # 8 on the Billboard Top 200, after selling over 80,000 copies in its first week on the shelves. Due to an error in album sales reporting from Best Buy stores nation wide, the final numbers were only made available by SoundScan today (September 29). Before the error was corrected, the album was charted lower than expected, which drew some criticism for the Chicago MC.

The chart topping set, which also features the hit "Kick,Push" and the Neptunes-produced "I Gotcha" is executive produced by Jay-Z and features production by hip hop heavyweights Kanye West, Needlez and Mike Shinoda of LinkinPark.

In related news, Lupe was recently nominated for a "Breaking Woodie" award, which will be given to the year's Best Emerging Artist at the upcoming mtvU Woodie Awards, set to be held on October 25th at New York's Roseland Ballroom.

The mtvU Woodie Awards will air on mtvU and mtvU.com on November 2nd.

Well.. Lupe had a hype. J.R., Rhymfest and them didnt have no hype. Lupe didnt sell caus of his skills, but caus he has a hype. This is still good news tho, caus Chingy only sold 70.000 in his first week. Lupe is kicking Chingy's ass.

Edited by Turntable

Yeah this is a step in the right direction for hip-hop, this album's damn good and well deserved to get some shine, nice to see people support it in the first week, btw Rhymefest's album was pushed back too much, I think that's why it didn't really sell, if it came out over last winter when his single with Kanye was out he'd done much better

yeah its nice that Lupe is selling a lot. but like Turntable said, hes not selling a lot cuz hes a good rapper, hes selling a lot cuz of hype. i think its great that a lot of people at my school like Kick Push, but its only cuz its popular and played on the radio. i think its a sign that if we play good music and promote it to people, they will like it, but if you play garbage, they will like that too. thats why we need balance.

As a native Chicagoan, I'm very happy for Lupe. This is a step, albeit a small one, in the right direction for rap. I still thought he would sell 100K+ in his first week but I'll take what I can get. It's a great album but the only sore spot for me is the song he did with Jay-Z(the name of the song is Pressure). I liked the original version of the song better(called Trials & Tribulations that leaked earlier this year). The other sore spot is the silly Outro track which is about 11 minutes of shoutouts to various DJs, producers, A&R people and other artists.

Standout tracks are: Real, Just Might Be OK, Kick Push, I Gotcha, Daydreamin', and American Terrorist

Grade: A-

Well Lupe's not really getting that much airplay compared to Chingy, Chingy got a TRL fanbase so you figure he'd sell a lot more, Young Dro was all over the radio this summer too and he didn't do 100K either in his first week, considering that Lupe's not a catchy rapper you figure he wouldn't come close to that number, hopefully this means that his album will get a bigger push in promotion and get to platinum

What makes Lupe Fiasco a bad rapper?

I don't think Wes said Lupe was a bad rapper, he was just saying that people bought his album 'cause they liked his album from all the promotion he was getting, but like I said I don't think he's really getting that much promotion at least from what I hear on the radio of what Hot 97 plays(the top commercial rap station on the east coast), they play mostly rappers like Chingy and Young Dro most of the time and I rarely hear them play something by Lupe Fiasco, even when the top dawg DMX dropped his album they didn't play any of his singles either really but his album still topped the rap charts outselling some rappers with a lot of airplay this summer, Hot 97 sold out on the east coast and plays mostly south stuff it seems, but that's how radio's like, they just go by the trend of the moment, bottomline is that the reason why rappers like DMX and Lupe sell anything is 'cause there's people out there that appreciate talented rappers still, they don't need big hits to have people check them out, there's always a market for real hip-hop, it ain't always about being the highest selling rapper either, even in the golden era not all the top rappers sold the most but when an mc has a lot of skills that mc could have a long career, Lupe's album is really good and he's gonna be around for years to come 'cause he got more talent than the one hit wonders like Young Dro

Edited by bigted

What makes Lupe Fiasco a bad rapper?

Lupe is a great rapper. but my comment was that he is selling because he's gotten promotion and he's gotten some radio play and is out into the mainstream. so my point was, if other great rappers got promoted the way he does, i dont see why people wouldnt like it and buy it.

Yeah you're right about that, good hip-hop could sell if promoted right, Method Man and The Roots had no promotion at all but yet they dropped the same week as a rapper that got heavy promotion in Young Dro and Young Dro only sold a lil' bit more, now if these real mcs get promoted they could sell more

Does anyone know what exactly he's referring to in "the Cool"? I can't quite grasp that metaphor...

im not great at going deep into tracks but it to me its about what happens when you are chasing "the cool", which is basically living life in the fast lane, doing whatever is "cool". in this guys case, he did some things that got him killed and the message is that you can get killed living the life of a gangsta and chasing "the cool".

Edited by WesSyde