JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Patti Labelle Praises Kanye's Comments On President

bigted

Patti LaBelle Praises Kanye West for Telling It Like It Is

Soul legend Patti LaBelle has hailed Kanye West for his insistence on telling the truth. The rapper caused controversy last year when he declared President George W. Bush "doesn't care about black people" during a fundraising telecast for victims Hurricane Katrina. And LaBelle insists his honesty is reflected in candid rapping too.

She tells MTV, "Kanye is somebody who I really love. He says things people should listen to. Rap does not have to be what some people perceive it's about. They think it's gonna be nasty, lowdown and dirty when it's just telling the truth about life itself. You heard what Kanye said about the president - you know the boy tells nothing but the truth."

I guess i can see where she's coming from, but i hate when i hear people praising him for that comment. Like i said before, he came off like an ignorant 10 year old the way he said it. If he actually sounded educated while making a statement like that, it wouldn't bug me.

kanyewest.gif

"GEORGE BUSH DOESN'T CARE ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE."

That statement was off the chain. When I first saw Kanye come on that night I knew some stuff was about to go down. He just had that look like he was going to go off and say something crazy. I especially loved the Mike Myers "deer-caught-in-a-headlight look". Simply priceless.

Edited by TopDawg14

Well as foolish as you think Kanye might've looked making the statement, other rappers are bigger fools when they only brag about how much money they have, how many blunts they smoke and act like they're the toughest gangstas, if there was more popular rappers like Kanye that'd talk about relevant issues then hip-hop would be in a better state right now

Edited by bigted

Well as foolish as you think Kanye might've looked making the statement, other rappers are bigger fools when they only brag about how much money they have, how many blunts they smoke and act like they're the toughest gangstas, if there was more popular rappers like Kanye that'd talk about relevant issues then hip-hop would be in a better state right now

I agree with AJ. I know there are other rappers doing a whole lot less than Kanye, but that's not much of a justification. If Kanye does something bad, but other rappers do worse things, I don't think that makes Kanye's actions ok...

Yeah Kanye comes off a bit annoying sometimes but he spoke the damn truth when he said that, a year later and there's still victims from that New Orleans area struggling to get back on their feet while Bush is up in the white house livin' it up, that only makes what Kanye said even stronger, Spike Lee was on ESPN being interviewed the other day and he was talking about the Hurricane Katrina documentary he did and he was asked what he thought about what Kanye said and he said he agreed with it but if he said personally he'd say that Bush don't care about poor people in general, even though there Kanye basically said black people since most of those who were there were black

Yeah Kanye comes off a bit annoying sometimes but he spoke the damn truth when he said that, a year later and there's still victims from that New Orleans area struggling to get back on their feet while Bush is up in the white house livin' it up, that only makes what Kanye said even stronger

So you would agree that the black mayor of New Orleans doesn't care about black people and poor people in general either right... Or the govenor of Louisiana... Because right now, both are simply posturing, and when Nagin had a chance to do something to save lives just before the crisis, he did absolutely nothing. Bush was targeted because he is a white republican. I don't hear rappers criticizing Nagin. I don't hear any of them questioning his actions prior to the flooding and the hurricane. I agree that Bush deserves criticism, but it's not because he doesn't like black people or doesn't like the poor; it's a much larger issue. It's because he's inept and incompetent. If the Iraq war, his foreign policy, and his domestic policies aren't proof enough, I don't know what is. I still don't agree with the place and time in which Kanye said what he said, but if he had made a more educated and enlightened statement, I could at least have backed that... but he came off as a bumbling idiot... an embarrassment.

Edited by MaxFly

Yeah, i'm with Max. I remember an interview where FP talked about how he believes that drugs were purposly introduced 2 the ghettos by racist polititions 2 wipe out the people living in them. Now whether some people believe that or not, at least FP talked about the topic in a mature and knowlegable mannor. He talked about the research he had done on it. Even if someone disagreed with his statement, they probably wouldn't insult his intellegence becuz of how he spoke on it. That's what Kanye is missing. Unless u talk intellegent, have a back up reason for what u say, u come off with no credibility.

"George Bush doesn't care about black people" is just a stupid statement. I could say 'George Bush doesn't care about white people' and neither statement is more powerful than the other. Kanye doesn't come off as a very intellegent person 2 me and when he said that, he looked like a fool...period. Even people who agree with him probably shook their head like "what an idiot...he's not furthering anything 2 result in change. Besides, holding 1 person responsable for something hundreds of people would take 2 work on is just rediculous.

I hate political topics...so i'm signing off 4 this post.

Yeah Kanye sorta never really elaborated on the basis of the statement that he made, that's why it might be hard to take him that seriously, I could see why you and Max might feel that way, rappers these days just don't seem to get the impact that their statements make,btw Spike Lee did say something about how the Louisiana government dropped the ball in that interview he did a better job explaining Kanye's quote than Kanye did, lol ...

Like AJ said there was rappers before like FP, KRS, 2Pac, Chuck D that'd say things that some probably wouldn't agree with but they're respected by many 'cause they always put thought into what they said, that's why hip-hop has lost quite a bit of credability over recent years since nobody does that, Kanye considers to come to the closet but he comes off as arrogant and ignorant a lil' bit... Now I do give Kanye some credit for trying since other rappers don't, but of course I feel that he could do better and elaborate on his statements if he wants more people to respect him, it is hard to defend him when he don't defend himself....

Edited by bigted

Message To The Black Man In America!

A GOOD BOOK!

And yeah Kanye was sorta right!

Edited by markwinfield1

Hey I noticed that they're gonna talk about "Kanye West vs. George Bush" on BET's new series "Beef"