JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

DMX and Ja Rule squash their long standing beef

bigted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DMX and his rival Ja Rule have "squashed" their long-standing beef thanks to efforts from their mutual friend Irv Gotti.

The two rappers have been waging a war of words for years after DMX accused Ja Rule of copying his gruff style on records. Meetings between the two have come close to blows.

But when Ja Rule's label boss Gotti insisted the pair stage a secret summit meeting to discuss their differences, the seed of peace was planted.

DMX admits he initially wanted to scrap with his rap rival when he was released from jail last year before making peace: "Gotti came to me in jail and said I want to make peace with you and him.

"I was like, 'Alright Gotti, let's do it. But I need five minutes in a room with your man. I got to put my hands on him.'"

But the tough-talking rapper eventually saw sense and agreed to meet with his one-time foe: "Gotti sat down and we squashed it. I said he (Ja Rule) got to stop sounding like me."

http://www.hiphopgame.com/news.php3?id=1411

I think it's good to see rappers ending beefs recently, it could only help bring hip-hop more credability, beefing is weak

The song was called "It's Murda" which was featured on Ja's "Venni, Vetti, Vecci" album, that's a really dope track there, they were considering doing a collab album around that time but scheduling conflicts got in the way of that

Beefing is weak? Now Ted, how are you going to say that? KRS-One would say different don't you think? Obviously times have changed, some for the worst; some for the better. But groundwork has been laid by battles/beefs.

Beef is weak on the mostpart recently 'cause there's too much negative energy, I wasn't saying that all beef in hip-hop history is weak, I'm saying that in these days of hip-hop it's weak, I'm speaking in present terms, it could lead to violence too 'cause a lot of times it gets more personal than what it should be, after the Pac-Biggie feud all beef should just end period, it's not worth it really, they didn't die 'cause they beefed but they died before they could ever squash their beef which was sad to see really, life's too short for beef, it's not a good look for hip-hop to have everyone go against each other especially if it doesn't always have to do with the music, I think it'd be better if rappers did work together instead of against each other, that'd bring more creativity than it'd be with them dissing each other, it was cool in the early part of hip-hop to have beef 'cause it raised competition but times have changed like you said, rappers got on stage to battle and then shake hands after but now it's like they want to brawl when they run into each other...

Now speaking of KRS now, he explains the change between now and the earlier days of hip-hop in "GoodBye": "There was a time when hip-hop was on our mind/without no crimes/just reality rhymes/when you battled me fine but in the end we'd recline/with a bottle of wine/mcs the original kind/ but why did you stray? hip-hop", now even though he's been involved with all these battles in his career, he never really held a grudge with anyone and felt like he wanted to do harm to the rapper off the mic, he's more about just raising competition, KRS is doing an album with Marley Marl now even though he had a battle with Juice Crew back in the days, it shows the growth of really of where mcs need to go, LL explained in his book that battling rappers like Kool Moe, Ice-T and MC Hammer years ago was more like when the Bulls would face the Suns and the Jazz, it was a rivalry that helped him elevate the music he was making but it wasn't nothing personal off the court, off the mic here of course, he wasn't smashing Kool Moe Dee's car or jumping MC Hammer in the middle of the street, it don't really feel that way now on the most part when rappers beef, they do a bunch of things that just ain't necessary...Is 50 Cent really a better rapper since he went around to start battles recently? LL said recently that today's rappers need to quit beefing 'cause it ain't really moving hip-hop forward, now on that note as I think he probably reached out to do an album with 50 to get 50 away from the beef, when rappers get on top they should help each other and raise the level of hip-hop instead of tearing each other down these days

Edited by bigted

Just adding on 2 what Ted said...Beefing is weak. These petty immature beefs are embarssing and stupid. The emcee battles of the 80's were interesting and worth following. Battles and beefing are 2 different things. LL and Kool Moe Dee waz a battle....50 Cent and Ja-Rule is beefing.

Back on topic, i guess them resolving things is a good thing...but like fuq said...irrelevant. Ja-Rule has been a joke for years and Ja waz never a theat 2 X...so i don't see this doing anything. I like that DMX stayed by his original statement.

DMX shouldn't even had said anything in the first place about Ja Rule, why even waste time saying that Ja Rule's biting him, they're 2 different artists, Ja Rule's style changed away from what DMX when he started dumbing down with that commercial rap style while DMX always represents that real hip-hop,at this point I don't think people say Ja is similar to DMX, DMX is on another level of credability that Ja has to keep fighting for,the beef was relevant to begin with, DMX is too far above Ja to waste time on him talking about how he wanted to brawl with him, that's just stupid, just like I thought KRS wasted time to call out Nelly, it didn't prove anything really, KRS has always been way more respected so why even call out somebody like Nelly, what's the point?

It seemed like it was more something personal than it was about music 'cause they really haven't said anything about each other in songs in such a while that you'd thought that whatever they had was over a while for but this was more of a legit beef that had nothing to do with music if X wanted to physically hurt Ja, whatever it was it's good that they worked it out and are moving forward with their lives, now if Irv Gotti could get 50 and Ja to make peace then he deserves the nobel peace prize 'cause that seems like a beef that'll never end, lol, ain't nothing wrong with battlin' but even KRS talks about "Squash The Beef", he don't promote negative beefin' either, he hasn't really a held a personal grudge with any rapper he battled from Melle Mel to Nelly, it's just about keepin' hip-hop competitive, I really wanted to find what LL said about how current rap beefs are, he explained it a lil' bit on that BET "Blueprint" special when he released his "Todd Smith" as well:

LL Cool J Doesn't Like Rap & Hip-Hop Feuds

Rapper/actor LL Cool J is calling for an end to hip-hop feuds, insisting battles should only be played out in the music charts.

The Ain't Nobody hitmaker is thrilled when he sees rappers striving to be reach the top, but insists public warring should be stamped out.

He says, "Peace is always better than war. Competition is fun in hip-hop, but you can be competitive by making good records.

"We don't have to dis one another. But at the same time, there's nothing wrong with that either, as long as it stays rooted in fun."

Edited by bigted