JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Pop Star Beyonce Sparks Controversy

bigted

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If whites can make music for whites,Then why can't black's make music for blacks?I have to respect her for saying this.I'm suprised more blacks don't support peaple like mos def,common,Malcom X,Nation Of Islam type of beliefs but thats another subject...

P.S. Sorry for being outspoken...

Edited by markwinfield1

this is probably b.s.

Remember that quote Lauryn Hill supposedly said about how she'd rather for her kids to starve before white people bought her album?

And how Tommy Hilfiger supposedly said (On Oprah no less) that if he'd known that black people would be buying his stuff, he would never have made them?

Until I see that issue of Blender with that comment in it (and I get that mag), than I ain't believing it.

Remember, Ne-Yo was supposedly gay too, coming out to Vibe magazine, which turned out to be bogus.

Remember that quote Lauryn Hill supposedly said about how she'd rather for her kids to starve before white people bought her album?

if this is true, some1 else owes me some money too!

But i agree its probably some idiot making up stories, which is rediculous bcoz we really dont need fuel adding to the fire, theres already too much racism, things like this just make it worse.

I doubt the quote's made up, it's right there on the official site for Blender on that link I posted a few posts ago in this topic so most likely it's in the magazine, she just trying to get the "urban black audience" to get more into her it seems, she wants to get away from that "white pop" image that she's known for, basically that's like when Will comes out and says that "black radio" should play him, I think all these race labels on music is silly, music is music, there should be no barriers on it in this day and age, btw did Lauryn Hill really say that? That's much more extreme than what Beyonce said...

Edited by bigted

I think all these race labels on music is silly, music is music, there should be no barriers on it in this day and age

Thats what I'm trying to say.

I don't make black music.

I don't make white music.

I make rap music for hip hop kids..-Masta Ace

Since the Beastie Boys (Or to go even more back, since Evlis) that music is music.

I never knew Will needed Black Radio's respect that bad...

or more recently:

I don't make black music

I don't make white music

I make fight music...for high school kids.

if you go to www.snopes.com and type in Lauryn Hill you'll come up with the page. It's b.s. Just like a lot of that stuff is. This Beyonce thing seems to be true though. I don't think it's as bad as it may sound right now. She doesn't wanna make that poppy "white" type of music. Nothing wrong with that.

(I'm white, by the way and I don't hate myself) lol

EDIT: here's the page from Snopes.com

Claim: During an MTV interview singer Lauryn Hill said, "I would rather die than have a white person buy one of my albums."

Origins: In

1996 a caller to the Howard Stern show claimed Lauryn Hill of The Fugees made anti-white statements during an MTV interview, to the effect that she rather see her child starve than have a white kid buy her album.

The inflammatory comment Hill supposedly made varies:

* "If I'd known white people were going to buy my last album, I never would have recorded it."

* "I would rather have my children starve than have white people buy my albums."

* "I would rather die than have a white person buy one of my albums."

Sometimes the rumor is reported as:

* When asked on MTV about their feelings on having the number one album in the nation, The Fugees said they'd "rather see babies starve and die than have white kids" buy their album.

Let's put this one to rest — if Hill or any other member of the Fugees had said anything like that on MTV or anywhere else, the tape of those remarks would have hounded them ever after. That no one can produce this tape — or even agree on what was said, and by whom — should drive a stake through this rumor's heart.

MTV would later announce the allegation against Hill wasn't true, but by then it was too late — the rumor was already in motion. In the wake of this slander, Hill did call in to rebut the comment on the Howard Stern Show. On numerous other occasions, she has denied saying anything remotely resembling the statement credited to her. In response to her critics, she offered: "What I did say was that I love my people, black people, and I will continue to make music for them."

[Teen People, April 1999]

Lauryn insists she wants people to understand that her goal to improve the self-love of young African-American women should never be confused with advocating racial supremacy. "There are a lot of young black girls who I meet in my travels who don't have a lot of self-esteem," she explains. "So if I communicate to them that they're beautiful, no white person should find fault in that. It doesn't mean that young white girls aren't beautiful, because they are just as beautiful."

Would any recording artist be foolish enough to request that a segment of the music-buying public boycott her works? This quote is likely a backlash born of Hill's success, one that parallels the specious Tommy Hilfiger rumor ("If I knew that Blacks and Asians were going to wear my clothes, I would have never designed them"). It is possible one of Hill's many Black-positive statements was misconstrued as a white-negative comment by someone possessed of questionable listening skills and regurgitated as such.

The Hilfiger and Hill rumors, though similar, display a curious dichotomy. Although no other tales circulate about Hilfiger's alleged racism, we continue to receive many different reports claiming that even if Hill didn't make the statement attributed to her here, she has disparaged non-Blacks in other words and deeds (usually ones the teller asserts he — or someone he knows — personally witnessed). Whether this phenomenon says more about the subject or the audience is something we don't yet know.

Barbara "hilling me softly" Mikkelson

Sightings: A lyric from "Cum On Everybody," a Eminem song off the 1999 The Slim Shady LP, states "Bought Lauryn Hill's tape so her kids could starve."

Last updated: 3 November 2000

I never knew Will needed Black Radio's respect that bad...

He don't need it 'cause the people still go out to buy his albums but he just pointed out that the black radio don't play his music 'cause he don't fit in with the thug image that gets played on the radio all the time(even though the fans went out and bought enough/guess they think Will ain't hard enough), I think black radio is wack 'cause every song they play sounds the same most of the time, that's why I listen to CDs most of the time, btw Beyonce was never a ghetto girl so has no credability to come out and say I'm a "gangsta girl", she needs to quit saying that 'cause nobody gonna buy into it

Edited by bigted

No, no.. Just look at her. All posing around and guys like Method Man in the back, but still looking like a 14 year old school girl. Thats just amusing. Maybe I didnt chose the right word,lol. Ofcourse is fake so is this what Beeyonce is doing. But as long as I enjoy the music, It's fine to me. Besides that, how should we know how they are actualy? Maybe Bee is really like that, but caus if the labels didnt allow it she couldnt show it till now..

Edited by Turntable

When something is fake...it comes across that way. When it's legit, it feels right. I see Beyonce's "Ring The Alarm" video and is steems forced or out of her element. It's not bad, it's just not her typical style...but for those few videos where Ashanti is tryna be hard...it comes off amusingly fake. I love her songs like Happy, Baby..., and Rock Wit U...but when she ties 2 be something she's not...it's not even worth listening.

For me, that's how i look at music in general. If it's fake, i can't stand listening 2 it. But i tend 2 gravitate towards real artists. Real recognize real...that's all i gotta say. Notice that grown and mature people tend 2 like true artists, while young people still growing, finding themselves, and who are impressional like alot of garbage that's fake.