JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Pop Star Beyonce Sparks Controversy

bigted

Pop star Beyonce Knowles has sparked controversy by saying she only makes records for black people.

www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3805965a1860,00.html

Since the Deja Vu singer made the astonishing statement sales of her new album, B'Day, have fallen by 70 per cent in the US.

Beyonce, 25, said in an interview with Blender magazine: "I make black records. I write records like I speak, and I don't try to change my songs so everyone else likes them."

The singer has also admitted she can relate to celebrities who attack the paparazzi.

Beyonce said: "It must be really scary to have your children in front of all these people. That's your kids. That's when Mama Knowles is gonna be punching some photographers!"

Meanwhile, Beyonce was booed at the MOBO awards in London on Wednesday night when she failed to turn up to collect her three prizes.

The Crazy In Love singer received the most awards after her single Deja Vu won the Best Song and Best Video categories and she was named Best International Female at the ceremony - which recognises music of black origin.

Edited by bigted

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That comment waz stupid and ignorant..but whatever. I don't really see it as racist or offensive. I still like her music...espeically that Desinty's Child stuff. She probably feels she needs 2 say stuff like that after all the pop appeal she's gotten over the years and how she's isn't as gritty as artists like Lyfe Jennings and Keshia Cole.

While we are on this topic tho'...let me say that when Beyonce tries 2 come off 2 urban, it just doesn't feel right. I remember when i 1st heard Wyclef's remix of "Bug-A-Boo" and she starts off yelling on the track something about keeping it "raw"...i kinda laughed. When it comes 2 R-N-B musicians who are Hip-Hop artsits, u think of Mary J. Blige, TLC, and so on. When u think of a full on R-N-B group, u think of En Vogue and Destiny's Child.

Yeah she doesn't really come across as somebody with an edge like TLC or Mary J., songs like "Ring The Alarm" doesn't really fit her style, btw I don't think her record sales are droppin' 'cause of this, people just ain't buying music that much anymore

Edited by bigted

Im sure that by now Beyonce is well aware that the things she says is always gonna be magnified in the public eye's by paparazi, and ppl WAITING on her to mess up or say something offensive in one way or another... I personally think she should have refrained from making that kind of statement, ...because its almost as if shes trying to prove a point,... i have no idea...but Sound The Alarm?... maaan!.. i HATE that song...

4 REAL for real!!!...

~ Cookie

Beyonce has had so much success and she's always been humble, what she said here doesn't seem to make sense 'cause that's disrespectful to her audience, not many black people buy albums, she don't need to act thugged out just 'cause she's rolling with Jay-Z

I'm not the biggest fan of Beyonce, but unless certain parts of that interview are missing, she really didn't say anything wrong or offensive and it seem her comments have been blown way out of proportion. She said that she makes "black records;" she did not say that she "only makes records for black people." It's obvious that her comments have been misconstrued.

What's even more laughable is the way in which the article seems to hint that the 70% drop in sales has something to do with her comments. This is the first time most of you, if not all of you, have even heard this, and most of us stay current in the happenings of the music business: how likely is it that the sales of her record dropped because tens of thousands of people heard about this and decided not to buy her record, and we're only hearing about this now?

Edited by MaxFly

aaaah. .thas a REALLy good point Max.. u always make good points .lmbo. This was actually the first tyme I heard it, ..but the best thing about having discussions with u guys, is the fact of different perspectives that actually 'shed' light, versus further controversy..

thx 4 ur comment bruh.. as well urs Bigted,...i agree with both of u actually... lol

peace,

cookie

aaaah. .thas a REALLy good point Max.. u always make good points .lmbo. This was actually the first tyme I heard it, ..but the best thing about having discussions with u guys, is the fact of different perspectives that actually 'shed' light, versus further controversy..

thx 4 ur comment bruh.. as well urs Bigted,...i agree with both of u actually... lol

peace,

cookie

Yeah, I agree with you 100% Cookie... it's like they're just waiting for her to mess up. It's kinda grimey, but I guess it's expected considering how big she's become. I see her comment the same way that you and Ted see it. She's sort of trying to make a point about her music... that she keeps it real or whatever... I wish they had included the interviewer's question though. There must have been something that prompted he comment...

This is kinda funny considering the stuff that's been going on with TO... I'm on a basketball forum and people are bashing him, jumping to conclusions, calling is hospitalization a stunt... Celebrities really do have it hard sometimes.

Yeah the media could really twist situations to make it look bad for the celebrities' reputation, it's only natural for record sales to drop every week 'cause there's a lot of music albums coming out, now with Janet's album coming out they wanna bring up her incident with Justin from a couple years ago, when Michael Jackson releases his next album they'll be talking about his trial again I'm sure, I wouldn't be surprised about people calling TO's suicide attempt a publicity stunt, a lot of rap fans said the same thing when 50 Cent got arrested a couple weeks ago, these celebrities live their lives with the media watching their every move to see when they slip up and fans are quick to turn their backs on them, a lot of us go through issues too but nobody watches over us like that, guess that's the price for being paid all that money

Edited by bigted

Barry White makes black records. That girl is Britney Spears.

I don't mean to start a flame war or anything, but you're becoming more and more annoying... and it seems that you're doing it on purpose. Would you please stop.

Sure if you put some more weight behind that.

Edit: And at the same time, I see what you mean. But I dont really think its on purpose; its just a natural reaction on the fact that there are an awful lot of really bad topics the last couple of months. Celebrity rumours, celeb does that, celeb does that. Like, ten thousand topics about Jay-Z in in Def Jam and such... I guess its kind of understandable with a down-period after a long period with over the top-discussions.

Edited by Lerkot

Barry White makes black records. That girl is Britney Spears.

I don't mean to start a flame war or anything, but you're becoming more and more annoying... and it seems that you're doing it on purpose. Would you please stop.

Sure if you put some more weight behind that.

Edit: And at the same time, I see what you mean. But I dont really think its on purpose; its just a natural reaction on the fact that there are an awful lot of really bad topics the last couple of months. Celebrity rumours, celeb does that, celeb does that. Like, ten thousand topics about Jay-Z in in Def Jam and such... I guess its kind of understandable with a down-period after a long period with over the top-discussions.

What do you mean by "if you put some more weight behind that."

I think it's pointless for you complain about the threads that have sprung up for two reasons...

A. There hasn't been much to talk about lately: Will hasn't had a movie out in a year and a half and there isn't any indication that he'll be doing anything music wise anytime soon.

B. You haven't done anything to improve the level of discourse here... how can you complain?